Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gathering the list of accessories that I need to order for a Ridgeland RTL-E. I know the RTL-E comes pre-wired and with the tow bar, but does it include the ball mount that inserts into the receiver?
The part I am referring to is listed as Towing Kit P/N 08L92-T6Z-100 (version 1) in the Honda 2017 Ridgeline accessories. It appears there is a place over the spare tire to store the pieces of the kit (i.e., receiver cover, ball mount, and lock pin).
In estimates for the RTL-E from 2 dealers, one said it is not yet available from Honda and couldn't quote a price. The other dealer gave me a quote for Tow Package $407.30. I assume the second dealer is confused and quoting for the entire tow bar and wiring, which is standard on the RTL-E. The first dealer insisted that what online dealers are quoting for the Tow Kit is for a kit from the Pilot, and the one for the 2017 Ridgeline has not yet been released.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
64 Posts
I am gathering the list of accessories that I need to order for a Ridgeland RTL-E. I know the RTL-E comes pre-wired and with the tow bar, but does it include the ball mount that inserts into the receiver?
The part I am referring to is listed as Towing Kit P/N 08L92-T6Z-100 (version 1) in the Honda 2017 Ridgeline accessories. It appears there is a place over the spare tire to store the pieces of the kit (i.e., receiver cover, ball mount, and lock pin).
In estimates for the RTL-E from 2 dealers, one said it is not yet available from Honda and couldn't quote a price. The other dealer gave me a quote for Tow Package $407.30. I assume the second dealer is confused and quoting for the entire tow bar and wiring, which is standard on the RTL-E. The first dealer insisted that what online dealers are quoting for the Tow Kit is for a kit from the Pilot, and the one for the 2017 Ridgeline has not yet been released.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't bother with dealers on this. They are going to over charge you on something you can pick up at any hardware store or Wal-Mart. The RTL-E comes with the towing package already installed. All you need is the tow ball and mount that will work for whatever trailer you plan on towing.

· Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,815 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I went for a quote from each dealer I had a typed list of the accessories I wanted with P/N, bernardiparts.com price and the Honda list price (08L92-T6Z-100 | Honda Towing Kit (Ridgeline) - Bernardi Parts). If you look at the part listed by Bernadi it is for the Pilot and the stated tow weight of 4500 lb is indeed incorrect for the 2017 Ridgeline.
Regardless, unless the ball mount is made of gold I will not be purchasing it for $407.30. I sincerely believe the dealer that quoted that price is under the assumption the RTL-E requires the tow bar and wiring harness. Should get the answer to that question tomorrow. The dealer who insisted that the Honda ball mount has not yet been released for the 2017 Ridgeline was adamant he was correct even after I showed him the page from Bernardi.com.
But is my assumption correct that I will have to purchase the ball mount, i.e., that is does not come standard with the RTL-E?

· Registered
64 Posts
But is my assumption correct that I will have to purchase the ball mount, i.e., that is does not come standard with the RTL-E?
That is correct. You will have to purchase it separately. You don't need a special "ridgeline edition" ball and mount. You can pick up a 5,000 pound tow rated ball mount for your 2" receiver for under $30 at Walmart.

· Registered
4 Posts
When I went for a quote from each dealer I had a typed list of the accessories I wanted with P/N, bernardiparts.com price and the Honda list price (08L92-T6Z-100 | Honda Towing Kit (Ridgeline) - Bernardi Parts). If you look at the part listed by Bernadi it is for the Pilot and the stated tow weight of 4500 lb is indeed incorrect for the 2017 Ridgeline.
Regardless, unless the ball mount is made of gold I will not be purchasing it for $407.30. I sincerely believe the dealer that quoted that price is under the assumption the RTL-E requires the tow bar and wiring harness. Should get the answer to that question tomorrow. The dealer who insisted that the Honda ball mount has not yet been released for the 2017 Ridgeline was adamant he was correct even after I showed him the page from Bernardi.com.
I am not 100% sure, but this is my best guess. If you have a 2WD Ridgeline that comes "pre-wired for trailer harness" what you really get is the receiver hitch. Not the ball mount, ball, pin or trailer connector.

Towing Kit 08L92-T6Z-100 consists of:
* Recever cover
* Ball mount
* Lock Pin
* 2 keys (for lock pin)
Retail price: $125.00
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2017_Ridgeline_TowingKit_AII02857-25.pdf

For the actual wiring and connector to connect to the trailer you need:

Trailer Harness 08L91-T6Z-100
The trailer harness has the 7 pin connector, relays, fuses and hardware you need to get trailer lights.
Retail price: $225
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2017_Ridgeline_TrailerHitchHarness_AII02857-24.pdf

I'm still not sure if anything else is required for trailer brakes or brake controller (I don't need them so didn't research it).

So, if your dealer quoted you for those two kits you have $350 in parts and about $57.30 for labor, tax, dealer prep and options.

I ordered the trailer wire harness on line for $157.95. It hasn't arrived yet, but I think that's all I'll need. I can use the receiver hitch(es) I have laying around in my garage and don't need the tow kit from Honda (Walmart, NAPA, Autozone, etc all have the same or better cheaper).

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,960 Posts
For your RTL-E, you will need the ball mount, pin, and cover. They do not need to be Honda, unless that is a personal preference.

Do a search on this forum...someone posted the Reese ball mount model number that will fit in the spare tire foam. Other hitches may or may not fit in that foam, or whatever it is.

· Registered
200 Posts
Depending on the trailer you may need a converter for the 7 pin electrical connection too. My motorcycle trailers both use a 4 pin connection for the lights so I had to buy one the 7 - 4 converters.

Also consider the trailer hitch height. You want to be level. I need two different receivers because I have a Pilot, had a CRV and the trailer are different heights. I need yet another for the Ridgeline to drop it to my small single trailer height to keep it level.

· Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I just inked the deal with AutoNation Honda for a deep scarlet pearl RTL-E and removed the Tow Kit from my requested accessories. They indicated the vehicle may not arrive until late December.
Humorous side note. The reason I just signed a contract for a Ridgeline is for a year I had my heart set on a top of the line 2017 Chevy Colorado, but it would appear on the most expensive Colorados and Canyons for interiors GM has adopted Henry Ford's option for color-"you can have any color as long as it is black." When I told the Chevy dealer I would not buy a vehicle with a black interior he suggested I have it reupholstered. I decided to shop around and came across the Ridgeline. The more I investigated it the more I realized it was the best truck for me. So back at the AutoNation dealership today-I requested that in the purchase agreement was a clause stating I had the option after 90 days of requesting a refund of my deposit. The salesman said no problem, but the sales manager said he wouldn't do it. The reason is they sell lots of black, white, silver and grey vehicles and fear if I walked away from the deal after they had the vehicle on order/exchange it would sit on the lot much longer. I thought to myself, how ironic, this attraction to black vehicles is going to haunt me. Ultimately they agreed to a clause giving me the option as of Jan. 31, 2017. If they are correct it may work to my advantage as a deep scarlet pearl RTL-E may be languishing on a another dealer's lot and they would willingly swap it for a black one.

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
I stumbled upon the 08L92-T6Z-100 towing kit today on Amazon for $75 with no tax and free shipping. The particular seller who is selling several dozen other random Honda parts had only one available. FedEx says its on it way - we'll see what actually arrives. List is currently $125. They can be found only for $85-90, but shipping brings that to $105-110. This is still 2.5x more than similar items elsewhere, but I think $75 is a good price for the Honda-branded kit.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
I stumbled upon the 08L92-T6Z-100 towing kit today on Amazon for $75 with no tax and free shipping. The particular seller who is selling several dozen other random Honda parts had only one available. FedEx says its on it way - we'll see what actually arrives. List is currently $125. They can be found only for $85-90, but shipping brings that to $105-110. This is still 2.5x more than similar items elsewhere, but I think $75 is a good price for the Honda-branded kit.
Why, you plan on doing something different, Ive never heard of you towing just selling. Dont worry about that damn scuff or scratch use it like a truck, get over it and save some big $$$$$ :grin:

· Administrator
24,886 Posts
Why, you plan on doing something different, Ive never heard of you towing just selling. Dont worry about that damn scuff or scratch use it like a truck, get over it and save some big $$$$$ :grin:
Actually, what got me to looking into it was thinking about the snow/ice event we had last year. I had the opportunity to help with a few recoveries, but had to just drive on by because I didn't have a tow strap or a comfortable way to attach one. Also, I had a need to pull a utility trailer recently and didn't have the proper equipment, so I ended up using my brother's truck.

As far as "trucks" go, I can't help but take the most extreme care of the things I own - it's just how I was raised and how my brain works. Few others may care, but I do. I'd take the same level of care with a Ford Raptor or a Sherman tank. I'm the weird neighbor that hand washes his vehicles in the rain before pulling them back into the garage to dry them off and waxes his lawn mower. :nerd:

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Actually, what got me to looking into it was thinking about the snow/ice event we had last year. I had the opportunity to help with a few recoveries, but had to just drive on by because I didn't have a tow strap or a comfortable way to attach one. Also, I had a need to pull a utility trailer recently and didn't have the proper equipment, so I ended up using my brother's truck.

As far as "trucks" go, I can't help but take the most extreme care of the things I own - it's just how I was raised and how my brain works. Few others may care, but I do. I'd take the same level of care with a Ford Raptor or a Sherman tank. I'm the weird neighbor that hand washes his vehicles in the rain before pulling them back into the garage to dry them off and waxes his lawn mower. :nerd:
my long lost brother that I didn't know I had!

· Registered
28 Posts
Here's one of the best hitches that I've found and bought after years of mixing balls, and different drop bars, I spent the money and go something that will work for any truck or trailer combination I can through at it. It comes with receiver pins. Curt 45900 Trailer Hitch $130.00 AMAZON and free shipping with Prime. I did spring for the locking kit for both the reciever and ball hitch bar Curt Manufacturing 23556 a bit dicey at $56.00, but this is such a prime target for thieves it gives me piece of mind. It wieghs 30 pound and is well made. Tow in confidence with a level trailer!

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,590 Posts
Here's one of the best hitches that I've found and bought after years of mixing balls, and different drop bars, I spent the money and go something that will work for any truck or trailer combination I can through at it. It comes with receiver pins. Curt 45900 Trailer Hitch $130.00 AMAZON and free shipping with Prime. I did spring for the locking kit for both the reciever and ball hitch bar Curt Manufacturing 23556 a bit dicey at $56.00, but this is such a prime target for thieves it gives me piece of mind. It wieghs 30 pound and is well made. Tow in confidence with a level trailer!
In addition to quality, be mindful that our hitch receiver is shallower than most. So pay attention to how long your ball mount is in relation to the receiver pin holes. Checkout this thread for details: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...es-towing/164777-hitch-receiver-question.html

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.