Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see the trailer tow connection tucked up under the frame rail but where the heck is the harness that goes from that to the bumper in order to plug in my trailer lights.

I'm dying to use it to haul my jetski trailer but have to use the Expedition. Every Ford I've had has come completely ready to tow which I thought my Ridge would too. I've installed the hitch etc.

thanks for any input!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I haven't used my hitch to tow anything yet but I'm pretty sure my dealer installed hitch came with a separate harness - maybe the one you're looking for?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The trailer hitch harness is an optional Honda accessory. There are also aftermarket options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My hitch was installed at a BC Canadain dealer and came with a 7 pin round, 4 pin inline socket plug in and a trailer brake harness. Also a pall receiver/pin and receiver cover. I only had to supply the size of ball required. $ 549.00 installed

Is yours a Honda or an after market hitch?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, a fellow Canuck. What make is your hitch as the HitchCity peorple that put the Draw Tight on said no wiring harness was available. Wouldn't happen to have a part number and name by chance would you??

thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
The harness and the hitch are two seperate items from Honda.

The wiring harness isn't just the plug in back, back but also includes some relays and fuses and a small under-dash harness as well

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
He said he has a Draw-Tite. He's either going to have to find a way to attach the optional Honda harness to the Draw-Tite, or use the Draw-Tite/Reese wiring. He'll need a converter (T-connector), Modu-Lite, socket, socket bracket, and hardware.

·
Registered
205 Posts
lineridgejohn said:
I can see the trailer tow connection tucked up under the frame rail but where the heck is the harness that goes from that to the bumper in order to plug in my trailer lights.

I'm dying to use it to haul my jetski trailer but have to use the Expedition. Every Ford I've had has come completely ready to tow which I thought my Ridge would too. I've installed the hitch etc.

thanks for any input!
You might want to look at this....

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline/hitch.pdf

The hitch/harness install is NOT for the faint of heart, and takes considerable time.

Don

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that link, interesting to see the schematic of it. I don't need the surge breaks and both my trailers are light, having only the 4 pin connectors. As I have the hitch bar, receiver etc already installed, looks like all I need is the wiring harness (what the schematic calls a socket harness). Quesiton is, do I have to get that aftermarketwhere and if so where?

Thanks again you guys,

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The same place you got your Draw-Tite hitch from.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am towing a motorcycle trailer and the trailer lights stopped working. I think i blew the fuse that works the park or running lights. I check the rear outlet and the brake and blinker works it is just the running lights and I need them for nite driving. Can anyone tell me the fuse position and the amps of that fuse? I am away from my home on vacation and would like to change the fuse out so I can drive at night. The lights on the truck work fine however I think the trailer connections could have a blown fuse. Can someone look in the electrical manuel for me so I can fix this problem?

HELP

·
Registered
346 Posts
I installed the 4-pin Draw-Tite harness and it was a piece of cake...Unplug, plug and route the wire to the hitch...I rate it...a "one beer" project! Found mine at e-bay for $40.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am planning to have UHaul install the wire harness for $135. Honda said the parts are $225 and install is $200. I looked under the back of the truck and see the harness connector. Can't understand why this takes more than 15 minutes to install. I don't know why you need the front harness unless the one in the back is not connected to anything. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
@2017ridger you don't mention your year / model?

Assuming a 2017, you might find it enlightening to look up the Honda accessory harness for your year model (most of the many Honda parts online dealers) and read the instructions for installation that are usually available on those websites.

It provides all the bits needed in front of the harness connector for full 7-pin capabilities including brake controller and 12-volt power feed (for RV trailers, to charge the 'house battery' when driving for example) with OEM integration / vehicle battery protection; If only needing 4-pin capabilities (basic trailer lights) there may be other less expensive / less integrated solutions that make cents.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,449 Posts
@2017ridger you don't mention your year / model?

Assuming a 2017, you might find it enlightening to look up the Honda accessory harness for your year model (most of the many Honda parts online dealers) and read the instructions for installation that are usually available on those websites.

It provides all the bits needed in front of the harness connector for full 7-pin capabilities including brake controller and 12-volt power feed (for RV trailers, to charge the 'house battery' when driving for example) with OEM integration / vehicle battery protection; If only needing 4-pin capabilities (basic trailer lights) there may be other less expensive / less integrated solutions that make cents.
...but be careful about some of the aftermarket four-pin harnesses that splice into your taillights in order to work. As our trucks get more sophisticated with sensors (such as radar sensors in the taillights), you run the risk of damaging your RL. I would not recommend you take the risk and spend the extra money to get and install the right harness. Plus, having that harness installed should help with resale.

Here is a link to the instructions that show why there is an in-dash portion to the harness installation (fuses will save your vehicle's proverbial life): https://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2017_Ridgeline_TrailerHitchHarness_AII02857-24.PDF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, Yes, it is a 2017. Only need a 4 pin and looks like I just install the harness to the box under the back bumper and then another sensor connection under the back seat. Now that it looks less daunting then what the Dealer required (which is 10-pin), I am going to let U-haul do the work. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts