Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Towing Q (not the one you'd expect)

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Kodiak 
#1 ·
Hi all. I don't own a Ridgeline yet, but I have a question for those with owner's manuals.

How is the Ridgeline towed (without damaging trans/transfercase)?

Flatbed is always best, but can it be towed by the front end? Picked up by the rear and towed backward? Can it be towed with a hitch or strap (freewheeling?)

#2 ·
Flatbed only according to Honda. I suppose you could use a hook and dolly but I wouldn't let it happen unless I was incapacitated.

#3 ·
shovelhd said:
Flatbed only according to Honda. I suppose you could use a hook and dolly but I wouldn't let it happen unless I was incapacitated.

Thanks, that's what I kind of figured. Do you know if Honda has any plans for a standard transmission? I might be interested in towing a Ridgeline behind a motorhome, but not if it involves taking it on and off a car trailer.

*sigh* I guess that means a CRV......

#4 ·
I also have a basic towing question.

I saw a 1980? truck recently with the tow ball installed in the bumper. I assume this is no longer possible since the bumper is no longer a rigid bar attached to the frame? The ball was in the recess part of the bumper in front of the license plate.

#6 ·
Otherwise known as a step and tow bumper. They're typically rated for 250lbs. tongue weight and 2000lbs. towing weight. They work ok for a 4x2 but for a 4x4 they are often too high. OK in a pinch but I wouldn't tow anything valuable with it.

#7 ·
Blue said:
I saw a 1980? truck recently with the tow ball installed in the bumper. I assume this is no longer possible since the bumper is no longer a rigid bar attached to the frame? The ball was in the recess part of the bumper in front of the license plate.
My '97 F150 that I just traded was rated at 500 lb tongue and 5000 lb pull weight from the step bumper. I pulled a good sized U-Haul with no problems, but I'm sure it wasn't near the limit.

#8 ·
Do you think that it is legal to use the ridgeline bumper as the step/tow hitch? Are these class 1 bumper hitch legal for any truck? It just looks so simple and elegant for towing a light trailer under 1000 lb?

#10 ·
can't you just drill a hole in the bumper for the hitch ball? What else is there to set up? Beside voiding the warranty and service contract?

#11 ·
I don't think you can tighten the hitch ball nut with the bumper cover on.

#12 ·
My neighbor just bought a 2005 Dodge Ram last week and it has holes drilled for a bumper step hitch. In American trucks, the bumper step is a metal plate. Ridgeline bumper step is a integrate bumper and probably cannot allow any drilling. I have no plan to do this but am just curious about bumper design.

He also has the regular hitch installed for towing horse trailer. He tried to explain to me how critical it is to tow horses with certain kind of hitch and certain kind of truck.

Supposedly, horses put their weight in the front hoof and thus front of the trailer. When going over a bump, you have to have a torsional bar attached to the hitch in order for the horse not to get truck sick. Since I do not have a horse, I did not take notes.

Anyway, the bottoem line is , Ridgeline is not good for towing a horse trailer. Any arguments here?

#13 ·
I think he's talking about a weight-distributing hitch. This shares the load evenly between both sides of the rear suspension.

#14 ·
thanks, shovelhd,

Does this mean if you are towing a travel trailer (ie. AirStream), with a weight distribution hitch, the passenger inside the trailer will be more comfortable and not get car sick? is there a weight distribution hitch for the Ridgeline? This is very eduaitional for me and others, I am sure.

Most likely, this is another aftermarket product we will have to wait for?

#15 ·
Blue, I've never owned a weight distributing hitch, nor have I owned anything that required one. There must be others here who can answer your question better than I.

#16 ·
Hope this helps a bit...On a "weight distributing" hitch set-up, the hitch arms distribute the trailer weight over the length of the tow vehicle, not just side to side. Ever seen a vehicle towing an extra heavy trailer without the proper set-up? The tow vehicle's headlights are pointed way too high and the rear bumper is almost dragging the ground. But one needs to be careful too, if you adjust the trailer hitch arms too high, you can actually lift the tow vehicle rear wheels off the ground, or a bit too high without paying close attention, you can ruin a set of rear tow vehicle tires in a semi long trip. On the Honda Ridgeline, it states not to use a weight distributing hitch, our vehicles aren't built heavy enough to tow something that heavy (5,000 pounds trailer weight).

#17 ·
I saw a guy with a full size horse in his truck bed while driving just past a small desert town in Nevada the other day. He had the bed all fixed up with high railings, but the horse did NOT look comfortable. I guess the driver can't see him when he's thrashing his head from side to side over the roof of his truck on the highway!

#18 ·
Thanks, Nicholas,

Very interesting and useful information. My neighbors treats their horse like a child and sleeps with them when they are sick, so I am sure his horse trailer is done right.

Since Ridgeline can not accommodate a weight distribution hitch, passenger in the travel trailer will just have to make do, if I ever get around to getting an Airstream CCD 19 ($35K used).

I have been on this forum for 3 months and find our group very knowledgeble and helpful. thanks, everyone!

#19 ·
First, is it even legal to have passangers in the Airstream while it is being towed?

Second, someone on another R-L forum installed a WD hitch setup to tow a 19' Airstream and reported zero issues. I'd hop on over there do a search and check it out.

I think Honda says not to use a WD kit in fear that you might go over the towing limits.

BTW weight distribution and sway control are two different animals. S.C. is often used with a WD kit, but they are not the same.

See here:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/aboutwd.asp

#20 · (Edited)
OOps,

I just noticed that the top of this thread has a picture of Ridgeline towing a horse trailer. So it must be ok. As far as towing with people inside, it seems like a perfect way for kids to travel.

I will jump over to the thread and see about the WD hitch. thanks.

I tried to search for WD hitch towing 19ft Airstream but no luck. Your etrailer site was very helpful.

What I know now is that a properly installed hitch for a specific towing is more complicated than I realized. I wonder how many people who are towing is taking a risk?

#21 ·
Hang around the Mass Pike Extension on the way into Boston around the end of August. You'll see plenty. It's like the invasion of the Clampetts. :)

#24 ·
The R-L owner’s manual does not recommend a weight distributing hitch. This has nothing to do with the tow rating. Weight distributing hitches are very easy to miss-set due to the crude adjustment procedure (chain loops) and the slope or curvature of the terrain you are driving on. Unloading the rear wheels can create a very dangerous dynamic condition from a stability standpoint. That is why this is not recommended.

The R-L is also equipped with a 5mph bumper system that other trucks do not incorporate. The construction of this system is dramatically different from a simple chrome bumper beam that folds under the slightest impact. Do not attach a trailer ball to the high strength steel bumper beam. The beam construction is very complex. Drilling a large hole in the beam section will create a stress concentration which will compromise the bumper performance. Additionally, there is a large gap between the bumper fascia and the bumper beam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.