Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
We went back to the scale with the new trailer loaded out. Our weight was as follows:
Front axel- 2720
Rear axel 3020
Trailer- 4180
Gross combined weight-9920 with full tank, two adults, one small dog. All our camping stuff loaded. Black and grey tanks empty. Approximately 8 gallons in the fresh water tank. Fastway E2 Trunnion weight distribution hitch.

Observations- it towed extremely well. Trailer was well behaved. No sway or porpoising. A little scary the first few times the big rigs came roaring by. Cornered well, easy to back up. Got her on the pad perfectly first try.

The truck did well on the secondary streets, but it was not great on the interstate. I wanted to drive 60, which was the prevailing speed of most of the trucks in the right lane. It ran about 3500 rpms trying to do 60 miles per hour. At 55-58 it dropped to 2200rpms. At 65 it also dropped back to 2200 rpms. The transmission really struggled to find the right gear. It dropped down going up every single overpass.

Because the rpms were so high, and load and wind resistance I ran about 10 miles per gallon on the trip computer. I didn’t calculate actual mileage- but it sucked. I normally run 19+ around town and 24 on the highway.

Lots to learn around how to get the tranny to do a little better. I am guessing slowing down to 55 is the easiest way to start.
Check out post #220 by Kodiak (a.k.a. Gary Flint, chief engineer and brainchild behind the Gen1 Ridgeline). Although dated, it may give you some insight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check out post #220 by Kodiak (a.k.a. Gary Flint, chief engineer and brainchild behind the Gen1 Ridgeline). Although dated, it may give you some insight.

Thanks for sharing that. It was pretty interesting. Have to wade through 88 pages of pictures on campground WiFi to find that gem otherwise. I will try towing at 100 on the way home! 😀( just kidding)

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Coevers, On the Gen1, which has a different engine and transmission, 91 or higher octane gas was recommended for towing. Doing this really helped keep the transmission and its lock-up clutch engaged for longer periods of time under max load. Honda no longer makes this recommendation for the new Gen2 (which you are driving) but the math behind why Honda recommended higher octane gas when towing is still true. So you may want to consider trying 91 or better AKI gasoline and let us know if you notice a different when loaded and driving on the highway.
We have been discussing whether higher octane gas would make a difference in towing performance with the Gen2, as it does with the Gen1, but no one on the ROC has tried it--if they have, they have not reported any results that I can find. So you could be the first to educate us.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will absolutely try this on the next trip, but I fueled up just after arriving, so I am topped of with regular for the trip home. The towing test video that was in the “Ridgelines can tow” thread made me feel better about my RPM as well.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I will absolutely try this on the next trip, but I fueled up just after arriving, so I am topped of with regular for the trip home. The towing test video that was in the “Ridgelines can tow” thread made me feel better about my RPM as well.
When you do try it, please let us know of your results. Many will be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
@McChizzle- I had a partial test this weekend, I was 3/8 full (added 5/8 tank), and filled up with premium. I averaged 12.9 mpg on the higher octane mixture using the trip computer, which runs a little optimistic . The trip was about half interstate, half two lane roads. I have also improved significantly on keeping the rpms between. 2200 and 3000, so that is also helping. I was very happy with how the truck performed with 4800 pounds in tow, we go out again in two weeks, I am trying to remember to time my fill up better. That will be a 4 hour trip, so it will be a better indication of mileage impact on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
@McChizzle- I had a partial test this weekend, I was 3/8 full (added 5/8 tank), and filled up with premium. I averaged 12.9 mpg on the higher octane mixture using the trip computer, which runs a little optimistic . The trip was about half interstate, half two lane roads. I have also improved significantly on keeping the rpms between. 2200 and 3000, so that is also helping. I was very happy with how the truck performed with 4800 pounds in tow, we go out again in two weeks, I am trying to remember to time my fill up better. That will be a 4 hour trip, so it will be a better indication of mileage impact on the interstate.
Thank you for letting us know.

On my Gen1--although this is just my butt dino--I feel like I notice no real difference when I mix high-octane fuel with some remaining low-octane fuel as you did. It is when my RL is empty and I fill it up with 91 or higher octane that I really notice a difference. Granted, we have different engines--you are running the J35Y6 and I am running the J35Z5--so their behavior should be different, particularly at high RPMs. Keep us informed so we can learn from your experiences.

·
Registered
897 Posts
61 - 69 of 69 Posts