Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
We're planning on a lil 2,000 mile excursion round trip over to Montana in a couple of weeks so just for grins-n-giggles I latched on to our lil Chalet folding trailer and took it out to the public scales where it showed 1400 pounds with the water tank full. Returning I checked the tongue weight and it was at 200 pounds. If I was not able to see the trailer in the rear view mirror I couldn't even tell that it was even there.

Bill

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,532 Posts
Purchased a GWR 7000 LBS travel trailer to tow using my 2018 Ridgeline with a tow rating of 7000 LBS. The Ridgeline towed OK, however, it spent too much time at 5000 RPM to suit me. I traded it on a 2018 F150 Supercrew King Ranch Diesel. The 2018 F150 Diesel is rated at 30 MPG on the highway and 20 MPG in town. My overall measured fuel mileage is better than our Honda CRV. RPMs towing are quite satisfactory and fuel mileage towing is more than twice as much as the Ridgeline. I do not recommend the Ridgeline for towing a travel trailer.
Matching the trailer weight to the vehicle's tow rating is rather essential. So by your logic I could hook up 20,000 pounds to your Ford F150 and then say Ford F150's can't tow when it struggles to do what it was not built for. Ridgeline's tow just fine.....delighted with mine and I was near the upper limit (5,000 lbs). The tracking on the highway is far superior to the Ram 1500 that I traded in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Let's look at a Ridgeline RTS for example.

GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) is 10085 lbs.
GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) is 6050 lbs.
Curb Weight (with hitch): 4520 lbs.

So if you take the GCVWR - Curb Weight you end up with 5565 lbs. available for the trailer and additional vehicle cargo and passengers.

If we take that 5565 lbs. and subtract the maximum trailer weight of 5000 lbs. we end up with 565 lbs.

So when towing a 5000 lb. trailer you could have any combination of driver, passengers and/or cargo up to 565 lbs. in the Ridgeline.

As you reduce the trailer weight you can add more weight for passengers and cargo up to the 6050 lb. GVW. If we subtract the Curb Weight from the GVW we see that the RTS is capable of up to 1530 lbs. for the driver, passengers, and cargo if not pulling a trailer over 4035 lbs. (but still assuming the weight of the hitch is installed).

So the maximum load for a Ridgeline RTS is 1530 lbs. for the driver, passengers, and vehicle cargo, plus a 4035 lb. trailer. Reducing the trailer weight does not allow us to carry more than 1530 lbs. in the Ridgeline.

Hope this covers all the angles.

The tongue weight spec. is a maximum only... you don't add it to the trailer or vehicle weight.

The other models vary only slightly.

Hope this helps!
Why is the tow capacity so low? I was pulling my boat & trailer last summer w 3 guys in the truck.. boat and trailer combined is 3900 lb.

we actually got a warning on the dash that the transmission was “Hot” flashing in bright red.
Its a 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. This is unacceptable. Comparable mid-sized pickups can tow 7500 lb. 🤯

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,238 Posts
Probably has to do with the brakes. Regardless, it's the way Honda designed and spec'd it. If you need 7500 lb capacity, you need a different truck.

The overheating issue is another thing altogether. If you're towing in spec and get that, I agree, that is unacceptable. You are NOT the first to experience the overheating issue and honestly, that bugs me to no end.

I only wish there was another vehicle that was comparable to the Ridgeline. But there's not. Yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Probably has to do with the brakes. Regardless, it's the way Honda designed and spec'd it. If you need 7500 lb capacity, you need a different truck.

The overheating issue is another thing altogether. If you're towing in spec and get that, I agree, that is unacceptable. You are NOT the first to experience the overheating issue and honestly, that bugs me to no end.

I only wish there was another vehicle that was comparable to the Ridgeline. But there's not. Yet.
Sure there is. The Ford Ranger Lariat.. about the same price, same features, real 4WD, skid plates, etc and better gas mileage

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
How fast and ambient temp?

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Sure there is. The Ford Ranger Lariat.. about the same price, same features, real 4WD, skid plates, etc and better gas mileage
Swing gate in the rear? Trunk in the bed? BoF or unibody construction? No, I don't think it's in the same league as the RL, but I wish it was.

Reactions: HRL383 and longboat

·
Registered
68 Posts
Swing gate in the rear? Trunk in the bed? BoF or unibody construction? No, I don't think it's in the same league as the RL, but I wish it was.
Ridgeline - Wimpy 5,000 lb. towing capacity, wiring hookup down next to hitch instead of next to license plate, so it's sure to get dunked on a boat ramp?? Back-up camera that offers no centerline when hitch ball attached???Soccer-mom alloy wheels stolen from the Pilot??? No room for actual "truck-size" tires??? Ground clearance that a little Subaru Crosstrek can beat by 1"???? AWD instead of real 4WD????, no skid plates standard or even available from Honda??? unibody construction so it has more in common w/ a CRV, HRV, Pilot, Odyssey (insert any soccer-mom mobile here)????

Ranger Lariat - 7500 lb towing capacity, wiring hookup next to license plate where it belongs, back-up camera that automatically shows centerline when hitch ball attached, rugged attractive stock alloy wheels, real ground clearance, sophisticated REAL 4WD that can act as AWD on the road, skid plates standard on 4WD, ladder-on-frame construction to allow for better off-road performance and greater towing capacity.

I owned a 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat. Due to a family tragedy, I had to get rid of it w only 3,400 miles. The only dealer who wouldn't screw me on a trade was the Honda dealer (I assume bc the Ridgeline is slow-selling). I now own a 2019 Ridgeline RTL-E. So I have owned both.. and while the in-bed trunk is nice, and other features (e.g. truck bed audio) is goofy, it does not make up for the shortcomings that are the very reason you buy a "truck".

Oh, and can a Ridgeline do this? That's real off-roading.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Who in their right mind would ever own a Ridgeline?;)🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
Since you are unable to recognize the benefits of the Ridgeline, or are unable to take advantage of those benefits, it sounds like you'd be better off going back to the Ranger.

The sales numbers argument is a dead horse that was beaten to death well over a decade ago. Yet Honda keeps building them and selling every one it builds, and rather quickly as of late. If you can handle math and finance, that should tell you something.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since you are unable to recognize the benefits of the Ridgeline, or are unable to take advantage of those benefits, it sounds like you'd be better off going back to the Ranger.

The sales numbers argument is a dead horse that was beaten to death well over a decade ago. Yet Honda keeps building them and selling every one it builds, and rather quickly as of late. If you can handle math and finance, that should tell you something.
I can’t go back to the Ranger. A family member committed suicide by jumping from the passenger side at Hwy speed. It was never driven by me again.
Unless you’re a boutique manufacturer (e.g. Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, etc) volume DOES matter. Any basic business course in Operations Mgmt. will tell you that.

my point is, why can’t Honda build a real mid-size pickup? I’ll bet their sales volume would be more like the Tacoma and the Ranger if they did. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
646 Posts
my point is, why can’t Honda build a real mid-size pickup? I’ll bet their sales volume would be more like the Tacoma and the Ranger if they did. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Problem is everyone likes what they like. I really can't stand the Tacoma. I really liked my old Tundra, and the Tacoma was my first choice when I was shopping for it back then, but I couldn't stand the sitting position.

I really love the Ridgeline for the most part. I'm happy to have it as an option. If it weren't there I'd probably still be in a full size truck which I never really wanted in the first place. It might be that if Honda can't afford to build a Ridgeline with all the changes you want. It could be that if they did it would be too expensive, or wouldn't have enough differentiation to sell well against the other brands.

I think we on the outside enjoy backseat driving all these decisions Honda has made as if they didn't already consider those options themselves. I doubt that's actually the case though.

I am looking forward to see what they do with Gen3 and also what some of the other new models do. The new Frontier is out and seems to be a decent option. If I were buying now I'd at least go take a look at it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Why is it that I was required by the dealer to have a castration before buying my Ridgeline? 💁🏼‍♂️😆
Did you try any of the online used car dealers. Seems people are having better luck with resale values by going through some place other than the usual dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
There are a lot of things I don't like about the G2 Ridgeline. That being said, there is simply nothing else out there that can do what the Ridgeline does and fits the way I use it. I have no use for a BoF truck. I've had 2 of those. I have no use for towing more than 5000 lbs. If I did, I'd buy a different truck... or rent one for the few times I did and drive the Ridgeline for the rest of the time.

You're coming to the wrong place to complain about the shortcomings of the Ridgeline. Nobody held a gun to your head and made you buy one. If it's the wrong truck for you, sell it and get what you need. I fail to understand your criticism.

As it stands, the G1 Ridgeline has served me well and I hope I don't have to replace it anytime soon. But if I did, I'd close my eyes, hold my nose, and buy a G2 Ridgeline because Honda evidently lives with me since they designed it closest to my needs and uses.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,025 Posts
I can’t go back to the Ranger. A family member committed suicide by jumping from the passenger side at Hwy speed. It was never driven by me again.
Unless you’re a boutique manufacturer (e.g. Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, etc) volume DOES matter. Any basic business course in Operations Mgmt. will tell you that.

My condolences for your loss.

If you read up on how the G1 Ridgeline came about, it is because their engineers saw all of the problems with body-on-frame that they chose to go with the unibody-with-frame concept instead. Here is a start, and there are other good reads as well:

Honda developed the current Ridgeline platform to also host the MDX, Pilot, Odyssey and Passport. That is why it has a transverse engine/transmission setup, as that makes for the most efficient packaging, and the most sense for an everyday driver vehicle. This platform sharing is also why they can afford to sell the Ridgeline in lower numbers, btw.

Honda's tow ratings are conservative, and likely limited by cooling capacities with the transmission and/or clutches. If you want a unibody that is rated to tow higher, you might check out Stellantis' Durango, if you don't need a truck bed. The Durango is macho enough, yet won't beat you to death on the road. It had a longitudinal engine, transmission and transfer case that can handle higher loads, albeit with less efficiency. Stellantis would do well to make a Durango pickup, IMO, and they would likely get a lot of Honda Ridgeline converts if they can get their reliability up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There are a lot of things I don't like about the G2 Ridgeline. That being said, there is simply nothing else out there that can do what the Ridgeline does and fits the way I use it. I have no use for a BoF truck. I've had 2 of those. I have no use for towing more than 5000 lbs. If I did, I'd buy a different truck... or rent one for the few times I did and drive the Ridgeline for the rest of the time.

You're coming to the wrong place to complain about the shortcomings of the Ridgeline. Nobody held a gun to your head and made you buy one. If it's the wrong truck for you, sell it and get what you need. I fail to understand your criticism.

As it stands, the G1 Ridgeline has served me well and I hope I don't have to replace it anytime soon. But if I did, I'd close my eyes, hold my nose, and buy a G2 Ridgeline because Honda evidently lives with me since they designed it closest to my needs and uses.
Actually, I basically did have a gun to my head when I bought it.... see my comment above. The only thing I tow is a boat and trailer, which together weigh 3900 lb. Yet in the summer (like the time you use a boat) I've actually had the dash start flashing red telling me "Transmission Hot". I'm way below the tow limit, and that is inexcusable in a truck.

The way to build a unibody truck is the way it seems Ford is building the new little Maverick Pickup. Using the hardened platform from the baby Bronco (Bronco Sport) that in the Badlands edition comes with skid plates, and GOAT-mode AWD (Go Over Any Terrain). It can truly go off-road, and has respectable ground clearance. I'm waiting to see what the towing capacity is.

I put a 2" lift kit on the Ridgeline and decent all terrain tires. The 2" lift only gave it the same ground clearance as a true "truck" yet I'm having rubbing issues with tires (they're only 265/65 R18).. Why would Honda design a truck that can't take about the smallest size in all terrain tires?

My point is, if Honda did a little work, they could build a truck that could sell exponentially better than the Ridgeline does. However it seems their are more interested in "gimmicky" features like "truck bed audio" than in features that allow you to use it as a "truck" rather than a Pilot w a bed on the back.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts