Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question.
Can I tow my AWD ridgeline on a 2 wheel dolly behind a RV or large box truck?
Love this forum
thanks
MK

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good question. I can't find any reference to dingy towing in the manual. although I swear I saw something before, maybe in the CD?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
page 580 in the manual. Only 2wd models can I see dingy towing being ok.

I find it funny though....it says 2wd drive models can be emergency towed with front wheels off the ground and then next to it in the notice section it says towing behind a motorhome or other motor vehicle can damage the transmission.....so mayeb for extended periods of time?

but I see no ill effect for a 2wd being as it has no connection to transmission.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Only way to tow the ridgeline without a flat bed would mean you'll have to take off the driveshaft :)
IIRC, "Propeller Shaft" but yea, that would put it in 2wd mode and you could more than likely tow, although the rear diff would still be there so maybe not?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So can you tow a 2wd on a tow dolly behind a motorhome? No drive shaft right? The tranny isn't moving at all. only the rear wheels spinning.....
I want to tow my 2wd behind my motorhome.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
2wd is a FWD, on a Dolly, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd check with AHM, don't bother with a dealer, this is far too technical, no way I'm going to trust them.

No driveline issues, just need to confirm, rear breaks, or any sensors would be OK

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I know this is already answered but here's the excerpt from the manual for future people researching this topic that come to the thread:
I don't think I would tow the AWD version with just the front up even with the propeller removed. You will still be spinning the rear differential. When I had to tow a RAV4 AWD recently, I was told that even with the driveshaft removed I could not use a tow dolly that only lifted the front wheels. (Strangely, this "tech support" came from U-Haul.)

"Common sense" told me that it would be OK with two up, but U-Haul would not rent it to me because they said it would damage the RAV4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how about being towed out of a stuck situation...just a25 yards or so...with an AWD ridgeline? Just worried about desert sand or mud that is beyond the AWD capability...and might need a buddy pull? would that damage anything beside my ego?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
You can afford an RL. Just put it on a trailer and get on down the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently towed my 2wd RLT-T behind my motorhome for about 700 mi. from NC to south MS with no problems. I put it on a tow dolly with the front wheels off the ground. I specifically chose the 2wd model for this purpose. I wish the awd model could have been towed because I miss all of the tech options that only come in the awd models!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts