Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started looking into purchasing a travel trailer for my family but didn't have any clue where to start as far as what I can actually tow safely. All I knew was that I could tow 5,000 lb so my initial thought was that as long as I bought a travel trailer that weighed below that I should be fine, but something told me there's more to it than that. I read through the manual and checked a bunch of sites to help me calculate what I can safely tow but I need help making sense of it all. Based on what I've read, I put together a spreadsheet to help me ensure I stay below the truck's GCVWR, GVWR, Payload, and trailer GVWR (please see picture below). Are those the right parameters that I should be looking at to ensure I'm towing safely? Also, are my calculations correct?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the exact same truck as you and going through same exercise. Personally I am not considering any trailer with dry weight quite this high. Not sure if your TT hitch weight accounts for full LP tanks, battery, etc but what I have also found is TT manufacturers are notorious for publishing lower dry weight and tongue weight numbers. I would pay attention to the actual delivered weight on the sticker that most trailers come with. Your margin of error might be less than you think. I am trying to find a TT with dry weight below 3K like a Lance 1575 or NuCamp TAB 400. Now the hard part is just finding something to buy...

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
42 Posts
I'll say this as far as the 2020 RTLE, rated at 5,000lbs. We bought an aluminum travel trailer - my original goal was 3,000 lbs dry weight- found a really nice 2017 Livin Lite 16 footer (7' wide, and the 'normal' height, along with roof mounted AC, etc) -with slide out, dry weight 3300 lbs. We cannot deal with the 7' wide trailer floor plan without a slide-out. I liked 7' width for a lower cross sectional area pushing wind- behind me. Drove 165 miles to get it, through central, and very flat, FL. I got 24 mpg at 80 mph going over, and 10 mpg at 65 mph on return trip. I used 'S' mode for transmission and found 7th gear to be the sweet spot. I did not yet have my EBC installed, so the truck did all the 'stopping' and it did fine (dry, flat conditions). Further the suspension was just fine for the task- no sway/wobble - ever. I do think this trailer is excessive in the tongue weight department, tho. (gut feel). Hitched up, the truck backend is probably just below -level' (it starts above level). The truck simply put -lacks the power- torque to pull this load at highway speeds - and I suspect its the wind loading- NOT weight - thats at issue. BTW the trailer was empty and the truck was as well, just two adults- no cargo. It worked great around town and up to say, 55mph....Our HP and torque both hit at above 6k rpm if I recall- we are in nearly all cases never seeing those actual numbers. I for one dont rev it to 6k plus RPM- ever. It really cannot 'cruise' any faster than 65 towing this rig, and thats at nearly wide open throttle in 7th gear. Simple highway overpasses cause a 5mph + drop in speed- I can only imagine a mountain crossing. We plan some LONG RV trips and I am now seriously considering a nice used V-8 full sized truck for that purpose (NOT selling the Ridge, just tucking it safely into the garage and not dogging it this way).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts