Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read other posts on towing, but seem to find conflicting information and not much info about towing through the Rocky Mountains. My wife and I have decided to get back into owning a trailer (after being without for 15 years).

We have a 2008 Honda Ridgeline with a towing capacity of 5000lbs. We like the Fun Finder X’s. We are looking at the 189FDS (dry weight 3040 lbs), 210WDS (dry weight 3370), and the new 210UDS (dry weight 3570).

We live in Alberta, Canada (just north of Idaho and Montana) and plan to take trips over the Rocky Mountains to the west coast and also drive across Canada to the east coast, as well as many local trips.

We know that we can’t go by just the dry trailer weight and need to add for water, etc. Our question is will the Ridgeline struggle to tow any of the Fun Finders, especially through the mountains, or will all 3 be within the Ridgelines towing capabilities?

We would really appreciate your input.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate towing any of those rigs. I love the layout of the 210UDS!
Last summer we towed our 2005 Coachmen Capri 19DB (dry weight 3400lbs) from the Nelson area of BC north to 100 mile house, then east to Calgary, south to Hwy 3 and back home through the crowsnest pass, Cranbrook, and over the Kootenay Pass. The Ridgeline always performs well other than gas mileage, which is to be expected. BTW we also completely loaded the trunk with firewood before we left home.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ahab. Nice to hear you had no problems at high altitudes. What is the dry weight and loaded weight of your Airstream? Is the dry weight similar to the 210UDS (dry weight 3570)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
kootenayridge thanks for the info. The route you have travelled sounds similar to one of the trips we are planning (only in reverse).
Did you have to gear down many times through the mountains? For interests sake what type of gas mileage did you get (or km per litre)?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,544 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
kootenayridge thanks for the info. The route you have travelled sounds similar to one of the trips we are planning (only in reverse).
Did you have to gear down many times through the mountains? For interests sake what type of gas mileage did you get (or km per litre)?
Driving in the mountains is seems like the truck is rarely NOT looking for a lower gear, even without a trailer. I've just gotten used to it. Gas mileage sucks. I get about 275km per tank pulling, down from close to 600km without.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks Ahab. Nice to hear you had no problems at high altitudes. What is the dry weight and loaded weight of your Airstream? Is the dry weight similar to the 210UDS (dry weight 3570)?
Dry weight is similar. Loaded is just over 4000# with 430# on the ball. I run with little water in the tank as that can add another 200# or so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2006 fun finder x 189fbr which it pulls with no problem. I had the ridgeline loaded down with a quad standing upright in the back, 10 gal of extra gas and a generator filled with 6 gal, and the water in the trailer filled, with the wife and two kids and all ar things and it pulled without any trrouble at all. it got 14mpg on that trip. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.