Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I'm new to towing and just ordered a 2018 Flagstaff Epro 19 fbs.Flagstaff E-Pro Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
This trailer is around #3000 unloaded and after doing a search here I see only one post about towing without a weight dist. hitch or sway control on a G2. On pg 411 and 415 of the online owners manual it states that a WDH is not necessary but you can use one and also that Trailer stability assist is built into the truck already. manual:http://techinfo.honda.com/********/pubs/OM/AH/AT6Z1717OM/enu/AT6Z1717OM.PDF
I'm not picking up the trailer until end of April so I'm just trying to get a feel for all of this towing info. I had a 2007 Ridgeline for 9 years and now have a 2017 and love the truck. I just never had to tow anything until now. I have ordered a P3 Teknosha w/ harness brake controller from e trailer and will try the install myself as there is a youtube video on this.
So to you guys towing with the the G2 what are you all using and are more than one towing without the WDH and Sway bar.
Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
edit: I don't know why it won't let me post the link correctly for the owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
The site blocks "R Jansisis" which is part of the path of Honda web files, per a request from Honda Years ago.

You would be better off screen capturing what you want and embedding the pictures to the site

I believe these are the pages your referring to, from the (Online PDF version)

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice looking little trailer....you'll have no problem pulling 3k lbs, I've towed the 5k limit with a 2-axle trailer from U-haul, with a 2-series tractor with attachments in it- NO brake controller, sway bars or WDH, the AWD RL did pretty well even at the limits/conditions mentioned. The fact that you'll have a brake controller will be even better. None of the U-haul trailers have brakes.

How much does that little guy sell for?

·
Registered
117 Posts
We just picked up a 3100lbs 2018 Aspen Trail by Dutchmen, travel trailer. We also got the WDH, sway control, and brake controller. With all said and done, I’m probably going to max out the G2 Ridgeline tow cap. with my kids and stuff. Granted I never towed anything before. Since this a large box, I wanted to limit the amount of sway and be level at the same time. When trucks and cars passing, you will feel in the truck. I’m sure lots of people tow fine without it but it’s a piece of mind for me. They installed the brake controller and WDH.

Nice trailer by the way. Would have like something like that but it was out of our price range. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey all,
I'm new to towing and just ordered a 2018 Flagstaff Epro 19 fbs.Flagstaff E-Pro Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
This trailer is around #3000 unloaded and after doing a search here I see only one post about towing without a weight dist. hitch or sway control on a G2. On pg 411 and 415 of the online owners manual it states that a WDH is not necessary but you can use one and also that Trailer stability assist is built into the truck already. manual:http://techinfo.honda.com/********/pubs/OM/AH/AT6Z1717OM/enu/AT6Z1717OM.PDF
I'm not picking up the trailer until end of April so I'm just trying to get a feel for all of this towing info. I had a 2007 Ridgeline for 9 years and now have a 2017 and love the truck. I just never had to tow anything until now. I have ordered a P3 Teknosha w/ harness brake controller from e trailer and will try the install myself as there is a youtube video on this.
So to you guys towing with the the G2 what are you all using and are more than one towing without the WDH and Sway bar.
Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
edit: I don't know why it won't let me post the link correctly for the owners manual.
I pull a 2018 17' Casita, 2700 lbs. dry weight and 400 lbs. tong weight, pulled perfect with no WDH or swaybar. I used the P3, it was plug and play with my AWD 2018 RL. I pulled it last week with 30 mph cross winds and didn't have any problems with the winds at highway speeds, 65-70 mph.

trainman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reply's. I will wait and try towing without adding anything but will also consider what the dealer recommends. I just wish I had some experience at this. Hoping for no "Oh crap moments" right away with a new rig.
TC

·
Registered
262 Posts
NY biomed,
I paid $18400 plus tax with every option except the solar panel.
TC
I think that's a good price, I especially like the Murphy bed! The Wife and I are still trying to figure the right one out...but we would need one with bunks.

Enjoy, I'd just try towing it with the brake controller- you do have an AWD model tho right? Pretty sure the non-AWD only has a 3500 tow rating- I guess the rear axle is different between the AWD-NON versions, makes sense...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think that's a good price, I especially like the Murphy bed! The Wife and I are still trying to figure the right one out...but we would need one with bunks.

Enjoy, I'd just try towing it with the brake controller- you do have an AWD model tho right? Pretty sure the non-AWD only has a 3500 tow rating- I guess the rear axle is different between the AWD-NON versions, makes sense...
Hey NY,

We looked in to that too. A Murphy bed with a rear bunk. Many of them are quite heavy, people and stuff loaded would max out the RL's towing cap. The Murphy bed adds a few more feet in length as well. 3500lb dry would be my max.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice looking little trailer....you'll have no problem pulling 3k lbs, I've towed the 5k limit with a 2-axle trailer from U-haul, with a 2-series tractor with attachments in it- NO brake controller, sway bars or WDH, the AWD RL did pretty well even at the limits/conditions mentioned. The fact that you'll have a brake controller will be even better. None of the U-haul trailers have brakes.

How much does that little guy sell for?
I `think` U-haul trailers have Something ( i forgot the name) on the Hitch that works with when you break this device acts like a break controller because when you rent those trailers... not all vehicles have a break controller.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,168 Posts
I `think` U-haul trailers have Something ( i forgot the name) on the Hitch that works with when you break this device acts like a break controller because when you rent those trailers... not all vehicles have a break controller.
Yep, it's called a "Surge Brake"

Surge brake system
A surge brake system is entirely self-contained on the trailer and is activated when the tow vehicle decelerates. The momentum of the trailer pushes the surge brake housing forward. This drives the push rod that is connected to the coupler into the master cylinder. Brake fluid is then forced out of the master cylinder into the wheel cylinders or pistons that apply the trailer brakes. The entire activation process is completed in less than one second. Hydraulic surge brake systems can be used by a variety of tow vehicles and can accommodate a variety of trailer loading conditions without requiring any type of adjustment. All U-Haul braked trailers use a surge brake system.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
671 Posts
Check the laws where you plan on towing. MN requires a brake controller over a certain weight. Im sure other states do too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

NY biomed,
They make a model Flagstaff E pro 16bh with bunks but you have to turn the dinette into a bed to sleep 2 more. The whole idea about this line of trailers is to keep them light and narrow for towing with a small truck or SUV.

What sold us on the 19 fbs was the slide out with the sofa, seems to make it roomier for the rainy days. E pro and Geo Pro are made on the same line just sold by different dealers, kind of like Ford and Mercury.

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trainman
Thanks for posting. That is exactly the info I was looking for. I just looked at those Casita trailers. Nice.
Tom

·
Registered
461 Posts
If the trailer has electric brakes, get the brake controller, it is plug and play.

Start with the low settings, and apply the brakes at 30mph. You’ll feel the trailer pushing the truck.

Bring up the voltage until the truck feels like it did with no trailer on it. No push, or pull.

If you go too much, the trailer will pull on the truck, slowing it down harder than usual.

When an emergency braking situation arises, you’ll be ready. Don’t underestimate how that extra weight affects stopping distance, get the controller.

·
Registered
92 Posts
image.jpeg

I tow a Jayco X18D, approx. 3800lbs. dry weight, probably 4500lbs. loaded. I installed a Tekonsa P3 brake controller (piece of cake) and use an Equil-I-zer 6,000lb. weight displacement hitch. I previously owned a Tundra and this is the same set up I used on it. I bought the RL last fall so I haven't had much experience towing the Jayco with it but I was amazed that when I hooked the truck up to it the back end only squatted a half an inch. The Tundra would squat an inch and a half.
If you are towing any distance at all, err on the side of safety and use a wdh. I highly recommend the Equil-I-zer set up. Rigid square bar set up with no chains. It allows you to back the trailer up without hopping out to disengage the anti-sway bars. Enjoy your camper!

Reactions: thatvirtualboy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I pull a 2018 17' Casita, 2700 lbs. dry weight and 400 lbs. tong weight, pulled perfect with no WDH or swaybar. I used the P3, it was plug and play with my AWD 2018 RL. I pulled it last week with 30 mph cross winds and didn't have any problems with the winds at highway speeds, 65-70 mph.

trainman
We tow our 2007 17' Casita SD with around the same dry weight with our RTL-T AWD. We use the Andersen WDH with built-in sway control. One thing I like about the WDH is with 400# tongue weight of the trailer plus our Honda generator, bikes, kayaks and other gear the rear starts to squat a bit. The WDH gets the rear end up about an inch for a nice level ride. Our trailer came with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller and it has worked flawlessly for the three years we have owned the trailer. I have had the Tekonsha P3 on another vehicle and the Prodigy RF works just as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts