Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, it's called a "Surge Brake"

Surge brake system
A surge brake system is entirely self-contained on the trailer and is activated when the tow vehicle decelerates. The momentum of the trailer pushes the surge brake housing forward. This drives the push rod that is connected to the coupler into the master cylinder. Brake fluid is then forced out of the master cylinder into the wheel cylinders or pistons that apply the trailer brakes. The entire activation process is completed in less than one second. Hydraulic surge brake systems can be used by a variety of tow vehicles and can accommodate a variety of trailer loading conditions without requiring any type of adjustment. All U-Haul braked trailers use a surge brake system.

Thanks... that was the name i was looking for! I am always on the go.... so did not have time to look for it :smile: .
I have the Equalizer 4 point system for our 3000 pds Gazelle and what a difference! Nice to know the dry weight of the trailer but after you put all you stuff.. the driving is not the same! We dry camp a lot so just the fresh water itself adds a lot of weight!

·
Registered
373 Posts
We tow our 2007 17' Casita SD with around the same dry weight with our RTL-T AWD. We use the Andersen WDH with built-in sway control. One thing I like about the WDH is with 400# tongue weight of the trailer plus our Honda generator, bikes, kayaks and other gear the rear starts to squat a bit. The WDH gets the rear end up about an inch for a nice level ride. Our trailer came with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller and it has worked flawlessly for the three years we have owned the trailer. I have had the Tekonsha P3 on another vehicle and the Prodigy RF works just as well.
I can see with all that extra weight where the WDH would probably be needed, we have decided to be minimalist campers and just take the bare stuff needed for camping.

trainman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Picked up a Micro Minnie 1700BH last Fall. Advertised dry weight is 3,010lbs. Been working on it and prepping it for use this Summer. Last weekend I put a Reese Sway Bar on as we plan to head into some potentially very windy spots as we head West. Didn't get to do much testing with the sway bar, but when pulling it back to my storage lot it seemed solid - and LOUD. Reading about sway bars I guess they're supposed to be loud for the first 1k miles or so. I'm a bit surprised at how much _forward and backward_ push/pull I feel when towing the 'Bago, but I'm hoping it's just due to bumpy/uneven roads near my home.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice outfit!
How mutch is your tongue weight? I have about 330pds on the tongue and the trailer is 3000pds (dry weight) .. after you fill up your tanks with gaz, battery... fresh water etc... you will notice a diffence. Like i mentionned earlier...... i towed my tt for a year before i purchased the equalizer 4 point system and i noticed a big differance in handling and my truck lights would not lite up the sky, ah.. i also have to admit my girlfriend is very happy since i got the system because things in the fridg.. and cabinets are not as messed up!
I have to say.... i had my Ridgeline sport 2012.... i did not tow with my Ridg 2018 yet .
Happy camping!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ll be hitting a scale next month to check weights before doing a local camping trip. Happy to share once I have the numbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am towing a Forrest River 18RJB Toy Hauler with my 17 AWD, using a Hensely cub hitch, no sway and no WD issues. Previous hitch was equalizer with sway control, had someone pull out in front of me, swerved and trailer went over on its side. Toy Hauler was loaded with dual sport bike too, About 4300 Lbs and 425 tongue weight. Also installed Redarc 331-EBRH-ACCV2 Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional with Honda ridgeline harness, plug and play wiring !!

0313200820a.jpg

·
Registered
2019 RTL AWD Silver
21 Posts
I am towing a Forrest River 18RJB Toy Hauler with my 17 AWD, using a Hensely cub hitch, no sway and no WD issues. Previous hitch was equalizer with sway control, had someone pull out in front of me, swerved and trailer went over on its side. Toy Hauler was loaded with dual sport bike too, About 4300 Lbs and 425 tongue weight. Also installed Redarc 331-EBRH-ACCV2 Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional with Honda ridgeline harness, plug and play wiring !!

View attachment 400732
Nice set up, Bob! The V-strom is a great bike. You must be an experienced desert racer to take that big bike out in the sand tracks. I about knocked myself out trying to ride my GS650X in Death Valley on the off-road trails up near the Manson cabin!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,358 Posts
Towed our Riverside Retro 189R for the first time today. Short trip to the tire shop to replace the original cheap Chinese tires with some Goodyear Endurance shoes. Surprised the original tires looked as good as they did after 2 years. Towed w/o the WDH since it was a short ride to the shop, but was amazed at how well the Ridgeline did pulling this 3800# (Dry) unit. Transmission knew the weight was back there and adjusted shifts accordingly. I will be using the WDH as the RTL-E will squat a bit more with the bikes and rack in the back.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts