Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
“gained auto idle stop.”

Except for unwanted weight, I thought “gained” generally referred to attributes or positive references. 😊
Roger, I’m aware that you just meant “the addition…”.

Idle stop, VCM?
This is a question. Considering the starter, battery, electronic hardware, computer changes, maybe extra maintaince , how much does all this actually cost the owner? How much does it affect the EPA results? Then DI verses port injection?

For a while, the increasing sophistication seemed to be beneficial, cost-wise, such as the EFI in my 72 VW 412 wagon vs the carburetors in my ‘64 & ‘68 VW bugs and other improvements up until maybe the mid 2000’s or even early 2010’s. But now, reliability and extra costs of the “sophisticated systems “ seem to possibly be counter-productive. Appliances such as washing machines, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, etc are supposedly more efficient but much shorter lived - 2,3,4 times shorter lived. Are vehicles going in the same direction? Our 2006 Lexus RX400h (1st year hybrid) went 11 years and over 150K miles with NOTHING going wrong. Can I expect the same with my 2022 RTL-E?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Roger, et al,
My previous Honda before my 2017 RTL-E was a 2013 V-6 Accord. Port injected and 278 hp. We kept it between 2-3 years and sold only because we needed a larger vehicle (SUV). A very close friend bought it. Now, with 105,000miles, it still is trouble-free. Right or wrong (likely wrong) , I changed the oil every 5K miles. Still looked clean.
So, the current RL engine (DI as most know) has 280 hp while the ‘13 Accord had only 2 hp less. If the Accord engine were used in the “truck” maybe it would have been retuned for more torque/less max hp.

Still, what I saw was a 2 hp increase in the ‘17 RL (over the ‘13 Accord) with DI FIs that had to be replaced (‘17) , likelihood of carbon buildup on the back of the valves, potentially more frequent FI replacements plus FI pump operating at a much higher pressure and possible/likely? more frequent replacement. Probably, more expensive injectors and fuel pump. On the surface, this appeared to be more loss than gain.

On the surface, the 9-sp seems like it would be at least as fuel efficient as the 6-sp; but, my ‘22 gets a little less milage than my ‘17. The controllability of the 9-sp outweighs any other factors, imo. The confidence in the 9-sp greatly outweighs the 6-sp, imo.

The front end of the ‘21-‘23 looks more draggy than the ’17–‘20. The drag index just looks higher.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts