Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if the cold weather has activated the tire pressure monitoring system in any of yalls rls..........mine lights up each morning the last two days, lower temps, but goes off when i drive home, warmer weather. not sure if i should put air in the tires or not.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
jeffiam said:
was wondering if the cold weather has activated the tire pressure monitoring system in any of yalls rls..........mine lights up each morning the last two days, lower temps, but goes off when i drive home, warmer weather. not sure if i should put air in the tires or not.
Is your air pressure set to spec? I know when air get warm, it expands causing the pressure to increase.. I was told its best to check air pressure whren the tire are cold, for that reason.
Others have used nitrogen, as it remains stable, and does not change with temperatures...also help gas mileage by appox. 2% .....hope this helps

·
Registered
62 Posts
jeffiam said:
I air my tires to 36 psi. Honda says 32 when cool. Your tire pressures must be low.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I filled mine to 32 psi when it was cold (40's). When it was warmer (80's), my psi measured around 35. If TPMS is coming on, you need to add air. You're probably around 24psi in the morning and 26psi in the afternoon...my TPMS came on for one tire at 24psi, but the other 3 were 25psi and did not activate the TPMS.

L

·
0 Posts
jeffiam said:
NOW..jeffiamNOT. How cold could it get in Dallas....60-70?Paaaleeeease..:rolleyes:
Come to the ROC @ the ROCK and I'll show you cold weather.
(Sorry..buddy..had to go there you know. :D)

·
Registered
578 Posts
ladyridge said:
NOW..jeffiamNOT. How cold could it get in Dallas....60-70?Paaaleeeease..:rolleyes:
Come to the ROC @ the ROCK and I'll show you cold weather.
(Sorry..buddy..had to go there you know. :D)
ACTUUUUUALLLY, it was 42* this morning in HOUSTON. So it was probably the same or a little cooler in big D. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just add a little more.
Below 25psi, the light comes on, you don't want to be driving that low anyways. effects MPG. I'd add it up to 30 when cold. It'll probably warm up to 32psi, if that.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Did a wheel light come on, or just the "TPMS" indicator on the left side of the speedometer? Could you have a TPMS failure?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I run 40PSI all the time.....get's me 23MPG if I keep it under 60MPH!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
I run 40PSI all the time.....get's me 23MPG if I keep it under 60MPH!
You know the tires are rated at 35PSI MAX don't you? I suspect I'd get 23MPG keeping in under 60MPH at 32PSI if I'd actually drive that slow. I got nearly 22MPG with just an hour of 1 tank at 55 to 60 MPH.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Over inflation of a tire makes it more rigid and prone to suffering a blowout if you hit a pothole or similar. Also....
There's the danger of bead failure during inflation. That can be fatal.
The contact area on the road is reduced affecting braking capability.
The tire will also be more likely to wear out in the center or crown (just as an under inflated tire will wear out at the shoulders).
The scientists and engineers at Honda and Michelin probably went to great lengths to determine the optimal inflation for your truck. I'd trust their expertise.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill check the pressure as soon as i can tonight.........thats alot of pressure to loose over night. i felt like an idiot posting but the point about the 26 psi falling below and activating the lights makes sense. i just didin't think good tires like those on the rl would loose "that" much pressure overnight.....

the tpms indicator lights up but also the tires lights. since monday all the tire lights lit up, then 3 of them one time..........heck this morning only two tire lights lit up.............i remember telling my wife..........how in the world do folks living up north deal with this damn light every morning.:D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

You will also lose about 1psi/month from the air permeating thru the rubber.

Check the pressure when the tires are cool, not been driven for 3 hours or more and not in the sun. if the truck is parked in the sun, the sun's radiant heat will artificially and temporarily increase tire pressures.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
jeffiam said:
Ill check the pressure as soon as i can tonight.........thats alot of pressure to loose over night. i felt like an idiot posting but the point about the 26 psi falling below and activating the lights makes sense. i just didin't think good tires like those on the rl would loose "that" much pressure overnight.....

the tpms indicator lights up but also the tires lights. since monday all the tire lights lit up, then 3 of them one time..........heck this morning only two tire lights lit up.............i remember telling my wife..........how in the world do folks living up north deal with this damn light every morning.:D
Wow, an artificial christmas tree!!:) I don't think you have problems with tire pressures!! More like the TPMS system:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Does anyone know at what temperature the max rating is specified at and how much variance the tire can handle? Right now it is in the 40s up here and my tire is at 29.5 psi, what would happen if while it was in the 20s I pushed the pressure up to 35psi, when it reached 90 in the summer that would put it around 42psi. There has to be some temperature that the rating is designed to be set at, and a variance in temperature that it can go through without an failure risk. I will likely leave my tires at the factory rated PSI unlike the Hybrid which I keep rather a bit higher than the factory rating since they are well below the tire max rating (about 12psi below).

As to people really looking for better mileage, would it make sense to consider street tires to replace the stock tires, something that rides a little stiffer but with the same load rating? I wouldn't do this personally since I need the tread for winter use and swapping tires around isn't what I call fun.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Right now it is in the 40s up here and my tire is at 29.5 psi, what would happen if while it was in the 20s I pushed the pressure up to 35psi, when it reached 90 in the summer that would put it around 42psi.
That's why it's recommended that you check tire pressures regularly, for variences in both directions. Although I would imagine if you didn't check pressures for six months, you would have loss a fair amount of pressure by that time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tex's Ridge said:
Wow, an artificial christmas tree!!:) I don't think you have problems with tire pressures!! More like the TPMS system:rolleyes:

No problem with the TPMS.........this morning temp was at 49 and no pressure light was on, no tire light.....if there is a problem with the TPMS there is a seperate light, "TPMS", that will come on. sorry if i confused the issue. that light has not come on. just the pressure "( ! )" light and the corresponding tire lights in the diagram. i checked tires last night according to vertrkrs method and the tires measured at 29 psi after 3 hours. then this morning the pressure indicator did not come on. i like this sytem but its tricky in weather changes because i don't want to overinflate these tires thats why i posted this thread as "i don't know what to do". its sounds like a "duh" subject but they are fine one morning then the next morning the weather causes more of a pressure loss??? vertrkr, was that your point regarding the number of degrees? how would the tires bee too low one morning and then fine the next?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
jeffiam said:
vertrkr, was that your point regarding the number of degrees? how would the tires bee too low one morning and then fine the next?

Sorry, I'm at a loss for an explanation unless there was a malfunction. It's better to overinflate than under so error on the side of caution. I check the pressures in the morning before my first drive of the day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
jeffiam said:
i checked tires last night according to vertrkrs method and the tires measured at 29 psi after 3 hours. then this morning the pressure indicator did not come on.
Like vrterkr said, air your tires to 32 psi when the tires are normal cool. A short drive, 5 to 10 miles at town road speeds, on a cool day will still be close to normal cool. For instance, If you drive from your home or work, and you intend to gas up at a gas station, and it has an air pump, check you tire pressures there, then adjust them accordingly.;)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
jeffiam said:
how would the tires bee too low one morning and then fine the next?
Simple physics. When the temperature rises, pressure increase and when temperature falls, pressure decreases. When it's cold, the pressure measures less. It just so happens that you're close to the TPMS activation, so on a cold day it activates (lower pressure) and on a warmer day it does not activate (higher pressure).

Just air it to 32psi when cold and when it's warmer out, it will read a little higher. The stock tire is rated at 35psi max, so unless there's a 30 degree temp swing, you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts