Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was our first with sub zero temps. (-5 in Stevens Point, WI) When I started the Ridgeline up, the Low Tire Pressure Indicator stayed on and all four tires indicated low pressure on the truck diagram. Didn't take the time to check the tire pressure, I doubt my fingers would have worked. Has anyone else experienced this?

I realize there is a relationship between pressure and temperature. I only had to drive several blocks. In that timeframe one of the tires indicated it was ok. I'm assuming that with a little more driving all four would have cycled off and, more importantly, there is nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
It may be nothing to worry about but it sounds like your cold tire pressure is below the recommended 32 psi. You should check and inflate them to the proper specs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
No problems here at -10

My guess is the same - that the tires were slightly under inflated and the cold was just enough to get the TPMS to trigger.

Be sure to use a good dial gauge when you check the tires.

-W

·
Registered
964 Posts
jwashow said:
This morning was our first with sub zero temps. (-5 in Stevens Point, WI) When I started the Ridgeline up, the Low Tire Pressure Indicator stayed on and all four tires indicated low pressure on the truck diagram. Didn't take the time to check the tire pressure, I doubt my fingers would have worked. Has anyone else experienced this?

I realize there is a relationship between pressure and temperature. I only had to drive several blocks. In that timeframe one of the tires indicated it was ok. I'm assuming that with a little more driving all four would have cycled off and, more importantly, there is nothing to be concerned about.
It was -11 here this am, and no problems.

I'm just glad the temps today are in the double digits (not by much!)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tire pressure drops 1 pound for every 10 degrees of air temp.

Here, it was 95 all summer. As the average temp fell to 60 I had to add 3 pounds of air in all 4 tires in the Vette.

So that's the relation of tire pressure to air temp. Driving on low air pressure creates friction, and additional heat when your sidewall becomes part of the contact patch which warms the tire, increases the pressure and turns the light off.

Cold PSI should always be maintained. Point is, if the indicator tells you it's low, add air.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This morning the on board temperature display read 8 degrees and I noticed that the TPMS sensor for the right-front tire was illuminated. I pulled out my digital tire gauge and it read 26 psi. I filled it up to 32 psi at the base air pump and the sensor light went out. This was the first time I've seen the sensor work on its own.

I just had my tires rotated and checked at 32 psi yesterday. I may have to keep an eye on it since the right-front tire just happens to be the full-size spare I had the trunk. It just might be a slow leak :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
It was -26 C (-15 F) this am. No sign of low pressure warning. One of the local tire shops offers to fill all four tires with nitrogen for $20. They claim a 4% increase in mileage and no slow leaks. They also say nitrogen gas is unaffected by changes in temp.

Anyone used nitrogen who can comment on same??

Gary P

·
Registered
233 Posts
I guess it's possible. I don't know how long it takes for the tires to cool off, but I drove straight from work to home then to the dealership. That entire trip was probably 6 miles and the truck was at the dealership for an hour.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd give tires 6 hours to cool for an accurate reading. You can probably allow less time, but then you will know they are cold. I always check mine in the morning before I move it from the garage.

As for nitrogen - excellent if you want to spend the money. Nitrogen is more stable than air. So if you fill the tire with nitrogen the pressure won't fluctuate with the air temp.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
BlueVette said:
So if you fill the tire with nitrogen the pressure won't fluctuate with the air temp.
It will, unless you defy physics, just not as much as air does. May not even be measurable with a normal tire gauge, but it will fluctuate.

·
Registered
169 Posts
swampler said:
It will, unless you defy physics, just not as much as air does. May not even be measurable with a normal tire gauge, but it will fluctuate.
Granted. But not at the rate of 1 pound per 10 degrees.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
If you fill the tires with Notrogen, what happens if your tires get low on pressure? Can you just mix the regular gas station air with the Nitrogen? Just a thought. I believe the Space Shuttle uses Nitrogen in their tires and that would make sense with the temp extremes it has to deal with; however, NASA has a bit larger budget than I do.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
GaryP said:
It was -26 C (-15 F) this am. No sign of low pressure warning. One of the local tire shops offers to fill all four tires with nitrogen for $20. They claim a 4% increase in mileage and no slow leaks. They also say nitrogen gas is unaffected by changes in temp.
Anyone used nitrogen who can comment on same??
Gary P

I know it can help just a little bit and consider flushing the tires with nitrogen from time to time but then I think normal dry air is already 78% nitrogen anyway. For it to be most effective you'd have to unbead the tires from the wheel, flush all the dry air out, bead the tire and then refill with nitrogen. I really prefer not to remount the tires as I think it it weakens the cords everytime it's remounted. If they just remove your valve core you're still left with a considerable amount of dry air in the tire. Considering all that I just say forget it and go back to normal procedures of checking/filling with tire with normal air.

·
Registered
169 Posts
BillB said:
If you fill the tires with Notrogen, what happens if your tires get low on pressure? Can you just mix the regular gas station air with the Nitrogen? Just a thought. I believe the Space Shuttle uses Nitrogen in their tires and that would make sense with the temp extremes it has to deal with; however, NASA has a bit larger budget than I do.

You can top off with air. You will only need to if you have a leaker. However, once you add air you lose the benefit of the nitrogen. Which is why I wouldn't spring for the nitro since it's not readily available if you're on the road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My back right tire indicator came on this morning. This is the same one that came on a couple of months ago after the truck had been sitting in the drive for several weeks. I guess this time the reason is the temperature being cold.

Would love to know though why it is always the same tire (location) that seems to have a problem. The tires have been rotated since the first incident and are fine. I am beginning to suspect a rim leak. Has anyone else had this problem?

I admit I don't like the TPMS at all to be honest - just one more electronic with limited value to have something go wrong on, from my viewpoint. I have never had a single problem with tire pressures on my previous 6 Hondas when I had no indicator.

While the issue here may not be the indicator per se, I think I have only had to fill up the tires on my other Honda ('96 Civic) once in its lifetime of almost 200k miles to date - and when checked, they are still as they should be. But, then I have had no rim leaks on that vehicle either.

I wonder if I would have been made paranoid about a 1 pound change if I had had an indicator to tell me what my pressures were at all times. The Civic runs great, the mileage can't be beat, the pressures are always within tolerance, and I am obliviously happy with that state!

I would like the indicator to ONLY tell me if the tires go suddenly low while I am travelling at full speed, or alternatively, allow me to turn it off once I have viewed it, or to set the level at which I want it displayed perhaps might work too. I think the setpoint is too high given it is coming on quite often for what seems to me to be 'non-emergency' reasons.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Chiasma,

The TPMS doesn't come on until you get down to 24 PSI. Definately NOT too high, IMO. Perhaps you have a nail or other leak in your right rear tire? That's the benefit of the TPMS...to alert you when your pressure is low, but before it's completely flat.

Also, pressure drops when the temperature drops (about 1 PSI per 10 degrees), so if you added air when it was 70 out and it's 0 now, then that's 7 PSI. Plus, the approx 1 PSI per month drop expected normally.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts