Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

TPMS light (not the tire display) stays on all the time after replacing my original tires 2009 RL

Tags
tpms light
9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Jack 
#1 ·
So...I replaced the original tires on my 2009 two years ago at 70k. I immediately noticed the TPMS light stays on...went back to the tire shop, who had someone "try to reset" it with no luck..I know now that there isn't a "reset" for the TPMS. At this point my options are: 1) live with it, following my normal routine of regularly checking my tire pressure, especially when our Minnesota winters set in 2) take it to a dealer who will likely replace the sensors/relay, and will probably tell me that the TPMS batteries in each wheel need to be replaced too.

Am thinking about option 1 (okay I've gone with option 1 since giving up on the tire shop boys lame attempts to reset it). Any down side to just living with it? I now have just over 90k; and soon facing either the timing belt/water replacement or selling/trading it in.

Bottom line is that the TPMS is a major PITA -- aside from that, my Ridgeline is hands-down one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.

--
2009 Ridgeline RTL, burgundy

#2 ·
It is ironic that you are discussing that now, but I understand..........

If your decision is to trade it in, then you may need new tires to add some sort of value to your trade/sale. At that time you may address the sensors. Question is do you really need to wait?

To answer your question about the downside of the TPMS fault. The fault is because, as you said, the system is not registering the sensors and thus the fault. I would cough up the $40 per sensor and replace all of them. It would also be wise to change the tires while you are at it. Living with the TPMS fault is fine, but as you are aware, you cannot be certain when a tire pressure is low or a tire is punctured. You will only notice it when the problem is felt through the seats and the steering, at which point it is late and at times the wheels are damaged. Unless you look at your tires EVERYTIME you get the truck, I recommend you fix the issue and drive on.

TPMS is not a major PITA. I had over 220K on my truck last November when I changed my tires/wheels to aftermarket. My OEM setup was sold to a fellow member who continues to use them with no TPMS fault. The ones I got came with the TPMS sensors in all 4 wheels and is problem free. It will be a PITA when one ignores the problem and fails to address it.

Welcome to ROC.

#5 ·
So...I replaced the original tires on my 2009 two years ago at 70k. I immediately noticed the TPMS light stays on...went back to the tire shop, who had someone "try to reset" it with no luck..I know now that there isn't a "reset" for the TPMS. At this point my options are: 1) live with it, following my normal routine of regularly checking my tire pressure, especially when our Minnesota winters set in 2) take it to a dealer who will likely replace the sensors/relay, and will probably tell me that the TPMS batteries in each wheel need to be replaced too.

Am thinking about option 1 (okay I've gone with option 1 since giving up on the tire shop boys lame attempts to reset it). Any down side to just living with it? I now have just over 90k; and soon facing either the timing belt/water replacement or selling/trading it in.

Bottom line is that the TPMS is a major PITA -- aside from that, my Ridgeline is hands-down one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned.

--
2009 Ridgeline RTL, burgundy
My 2006 TPMS would light up every so often and I just assumed it was just old or dead batteries in the TPMS sensor itself and just ignored the light. However, I ran across a video talking about how cigarette to USB power adapters can cause RF interference so I removed it the TPMS light never came back on. It's worth a try if you have something like that plugged in. I did end up replacing the sensors when I got new tires a few months ago just to feel better since it's 13 years old.

#8 ·
I know when the tire pressure is low (below 26 PSI, you cannot turn off VSA. If there is no TPMS reading at all (a fault) will the VSA function the same way and not let you turn it off if you wanted/needed to?
VSA is always on when the TPMS fault is on. Can't turn it off.
Had that last year when I placed a tire with a dead pressure sensor.

#9 ·
Just to be clear here. The downsides: you won't know if one of your tires is low on air pressure.
Also as mentioned you won't be able to turn VSA off. If you are stuck in the snow / sand / mud etc and wanting some wheel spin to get things going, the VSA system can cut power to the wheels and you may stay stuck.

A 2009's TPMS sensor is over 10 years old and past the expected lifetime of the batteries. You can't just replace the batteries in the sensors but rather need new sensors. Live with the downsides, or replace your sensors with new ones. OEM sensors are actually about the same price as quality aftermarket and are probably your best bet.

#10 ·
When I got my 07, the TPMS light would come on every now and then, the more I ran it, the more it stayed on. ordered 4 wheel sensors off of e-bay, for about 90 bucks. ((4) New ITM Tire Pressure Sensor 315MHz TPMS For HONDA RIDGELINE (ALLOY) 06-14) When I went and had 4 new tires installed at Pep Boys, I had them install the sensors and program, and no more TPMS light coming on while driving. Easy fix.
Gene

#11 ·
on the Ridgeline, there is no programming needed. Just install the correct pressure sensors and drive a few feet till the system workout the signals and all set. Same goes for the '09+ Honda Fit. Came comment on other vehicles, but I would assume they are the same.

#12 ·
Does anyone know how to tell which tire sensor has the low battery since you don't get the tire location indicator with this problem. I was thinking I could lower the pressure on each tire one by one until I didnt see an alarm on the one with a low battery. real PIA though to do it. Does the main computer record a specific error for this indicating which wheel ?

#13 ·
If you are a Costco Member, go to the nearest one and they will do a check for you.... especially if you are talking about purchasing a new set of tires! They have a meter that they do a proximity check near the valve stem and they can tell you which one is bad. They all have batteries, and if one is low and giving you the TP fault, I recommend you just replace them all.

#18 ·
Changing one tire pressure sensor at a time is like changing one spark plug at a time until the codes go away. If you plan on keeping the truck do them all at once and not worry about it for the next 8 years.

The price of one tire sensor change, including the tire dismount/mount, and the labor costs on one wheel, and then having another one go out within a mount just doesn't work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.