Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so my truck is at the tire shop getting some new shoes when I get this call...

"TPMS valves won't tighten against the rims"

A little backstory... I had steel wheels, bent one, so I bought a set of aluminum rims from a guy locally. Had my tires mounted on there with normal valves. Everything was okay, except for the TPMS light in the dash.

I bought the TMPS rebuild kit and put my old sensors on it, now when they're trying to install it, it won't tighten up to the rim. They say it appears somebody has messed with it, but it hasn't been machined or anything like that.

My question is this - Can I use an extra rubber washer to make them tighten up or are my rims scrap if I want TPMS?

Next question - where do I unplug the TMPS so the light isn't on in the dash while I figure this out?

:act060:

I did a google search and found a similar issue on the Acura forum. There was no mention of noticing that the rim had been modified in any way, but a fellow member suggested that their local tire shop told him the same, but upon taking it to the Acura dealer, they showed him that it did in fact fit, just had to be put in there a certain way? I can't imagine that is actually the case? It's like a screw on valve stem, you put it through the valve stem hole and screw the top on until it's tight...

Anyhow, if anybody has any suggestions or have dealt with anything similar, let me know!

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
Okay, so my truck is at the tire shop getting some new shoes when I get this call...

"TPMS valves won't tighten against the rims"

A little backstory... I had steel wheels, bent one, so I bought a set of aluminum rims from a guy locally. Had my tires mounted on there with normal valves. Everything was okay, except for the TPMS light in the dash.

I bought the TMPS rebuild kit and put my old sensors on it, now when they're trying to install it, it won't tighten up to the rim. They say it appears somebody has messed with it, but it hasn't been machined or anything like that.

My question is this - Can I use an extra rubber washer to make them tighten up or are my rims scrap if I want TPMS?

Next question - where do I unplug the TMPS so the light isn't on in the dash while I figure this out?

:act060:

I did a google search and found a similar issue on the Acura forum. There was no mention of noticing that the rim had been modified in any way, but a fellow member suggested that their local tire shop told him the same, but upon taking it to the Acura dealer, they showed him that it did in fact fit, just had to be put in there a certain way? I can't imagine that is actually the case? It's like a screw on valve stem, you put it through the valve stem hole and screw the top on until it's tight...

Anyhow, if anybody has any suggestions or have dealt with anything similar, let me know!
Your steel rimed TPMS will not work with alloy rims. You need to purchase a set of alloy rim sensors.

Any attempts to modify your current sensors to work on a rim they were not designed to fit will only result in tire that simply will not hold air.

I can't speak for the Acura owner who said he got his TPMS to fit, but I'd bet there was more to the story than was written.

Buy a new set of sensors and have them installed and offer yours up for sale and you can recoup at least part of the cost.

FYI...your old lug nuts won't work either. You'll have to get lug nuts for alloy wheels and keep a set of five lugs so your spare can still be used if needed. Unless you have a full sized spare tire and are changing that rim over to a alloy as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your steel rimed TPMS will not work with alloy rims. You need to purchase a set of alloy rim sensors.

Any attempts to modify your current sensors to work on a rim they were not designed to fit will only result in tire that simply will not hold air.

I can't speak for the Acura owner who said he got his TPMS to fit, but I'd bet there was more to the story than was written.

Buy a new set of sensors and have them installed and offer yours up for sale

and you can recoup at least part of the cost.

FYI...your old lug nuts won't work either. You'll have to get lug nuts for alloy wheels and keep a set of five lugs so your spare can still be used if needed. Unless you have a full sized spare tire and are changing that rim over to a alloy as well.
Thank you for the reply.

I purchased the rebuild kit for aluminum wheels, which is what won't tighten up... the actual sensor fits, it's just the threads on the valve stem itself stops too early (if that makes sense). So are you saying I need the actual sensor? This post suggests I can use the original sensors
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29312

I got lugs with the rims, so that worked out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are these Honda sensors or aftermarket? My mechanic had the same complaint when I installed aftermarket ones, but a careful read of the instructions solved it - there was a breakaway flange that set the angle on the sensor and only then would it tighten up on the rim.

Hard to explain but easy to do once you know how.

F

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these Honda sensors or aftermarket? My mechanic had the same complaint when I installed aftermarket ones, but a careful read of the instructions solved it - there was a breakaway flange that set the angle on the sensor and only then would it tighten up on the rim.

Hard to explain but easy to do once you know how.

F
Thank you for the reply.

These are Honda sensors, should be the set it rolled out of the factory with. They do have little offset flanges though... I'll try to get a pic and post it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts