Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my new wheels I watched the guys transfer over the TPMS sensors which was easy enough and they used all the same parts from my old wheels. I unfortunately looked up the TPMS section in the service manual afterwards and found they say always to use new nuts and valve stems. The nuts have a little metal flange that deforms when putting them on and is intended for only a one time use. If you're getting new wheels you might want to order these parts first and give them to the guys changing your wheels.

I'm not sure what happens if you don't but I'll find out as I'm not going take my tires off again to replace these parts. I guess a slow leak is the possible danger. I'll keep an eye on my pressure for a month and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hello Vertrkr, what kind of wheels did you get? I purchased a new TPMS for my full sized spare and I noticed the valve stem and the TPMS unit were one piece. If we change the wheels do we need to change the whole TPMS unit? I believe I paid around $30 for the TPMS kit. When I inspected the unit, there appeared to be some type of battery...I'll take some pictures so you know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I got my full size spare I bought the sensor and installed it myself. I then brought the rim to the tire place to get a tire mounted.

I was more concerned that they would properly seat the sensor or use the proper inch/lb torque wrench (and not the big lb/lb beast) which wouldn't have been accurate enough at the lower torque needed for the sensor.

You can reuse the sensor but need a new nut.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
bongus said:
Hello Vertrkr, what kind of wheels did you get? I purchased a new TPMS for my full sized spare and I noticed the valve stem and the TPMS unit were one piece. If we change the wheels do we need to change the whole TPMS unit? I believe I paid around $30 for the TPMS kit. When I inspected the unit, there appeared to be some type of battery...I'll take some pictures so you know what I'm talking about.
I traded my wheels for some stock Honda wheels that were black chromed:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1633&highlight=stock+wheels+black

You don't need to replace the sensor itself, the manual recommends replacing the valve stem, valve stem nut and valve stem screw. They should be tightened to 3 ft/lbs. The stem slips thru the sensor so they are not one piece although it may appear that way when assembled.

I decided to replace the nuts as it's the only thing I have access to now the tires are on. Just got off the phone ordering them, grand total is $9 for these.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DoctorJ said:
Vert, you will probably be ok. Most manuals also recomend changing the brass washer on the oil drain plug but I have been using the same one for years without failure.
Ya, I think you're right. It's been two weeks and I would have noticed a slow leak by now so all is probably just fine.

Turns out those nuts I ordered for 9 bucks are the wrong part, Honda has the schematic wrong and those are actually the valve stem caps, sheesh. I canceled it and am calling it good.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Installing TPMS sensors

TPMS section in the service manual say always to use new nuts and valve stems. The nuts have a little metal flange that deforms when putting them on and is intended for only a one time use.
You don't need to replace the sensor itself, the manual recommends replacing the valve stem, valve stem nut and valve stem screw. They should be tightened to 3 ft/lbs.
Ok so now that winters over I bought some steel rims for winter tires. (Snow will be back in the fall :eek::()
From what I could find online looks as though Honda dealer gave me the correct TPMS sensors. (part # 06421-S9V-A03) I tried putting them on the rims and with the nuts finger tight the sensors were quite loose. According to vertkr, this is normal as the nut seems to have the little flange inside it that will deform when torqued.
So one question is... when I torque the nut, will this also torque the stem to the correct spec? or do I have to try and hold the stem from turning from the inside of the rim? What is the torque for the stems?
Next question...how much is 3 ft/lbs converted to in/lbs? (12in = 1ft so 3 ft/lbs = 36 in/lbs? Is this correct?)
Might be stupid questions for some, but I'd rather ask then buy again.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: Installing TPMS sensors

Ok so now that winters over I bought some steel rims for winter tires. (Snow will be back in the fall :eek::()
From what I could find online looks as though Honda dealer gave me the correct TPMS sensors. (part # 06421-S9V-A03) I tried putting them on the rims and with the nuts finger tight the sensors were quite loose. According to vertkr, this is normal as the nut seems to have the little flange inside it that will deform when torqued.
So one question is... when I torque the nut, will this also torque the stem to the correct spec? or do I have to try and hold the stem from turning from the inside of the rim? What is the torque for the stems?
Next question...how much is 3 ft/lbs converted to in/lbs? (12in = 1ft so 3 ft/lbs = 36 in/lbs? Is this correct?)
Might be stupid questions for some, but I'd rather ask then buy again.
Thanks for any help.
See the attached file. Page two... All your answers are there... :)...

You're welcome....

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Many thanks X, that was a quick response.
This file is for alloys but a guess it's the same for steel wheels. All the torque specs. are the same for all wheels.
Also, the torque wrench I have doesn't go lower than 10 ft/lbs. I can get one with in/lbs. Does anyone know how much is 3 ft/lbs converted to in/lbs?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Many thanks X, that was a quick response.
This file is for alloys but a guess it's the same for steel wheels. All the torque specs. are the same for all wheels.
Also, the torque wrench I have doesn't go lower than 10 ft/lbs. I can get one with in/lbs. Does anyone know how much is 3 ft/lbs converted to in/lbs?
Thanks again.
Opps. Sorry I should have read more.... here you go.

Yes... 3 ft/lbs = 4.09 Nm =36 in/lbs

A precision tool that goes that low costs about $130...

The alloy document is for when you switch over to those using your existing TPMS.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You can get an in/lb torque wrench at Sears for about 60$ maybe a little more, that will work just fine for the task :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You can get an in/lb torque wrench at Sears for about 60$ maybe a little more, that will work just fine for the task :)
Opps. Sorry I should have read more.... here you go.

Yes... 3 ft/lbs = 4.09 Nm =36 in/lbs

A precision tool that goes that low costs about $130...

The alloy document is for when you switch over to those using your existing TPMS.
Or I can borrow one from work for free! :D
Once again X, you da man! :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got some dandy snow tires that are mounted on the original Honda alloy rims that came on my '07 EX-L, and I'm thinking I'll just leave them mounted for next year and buy some fancy new alloys for the '3 season' tires...

So, I've been doing some research on the TPMS situation and looking at maybe buying a set off of E-Bay. Since I want to use new valve stem nuts, etc., and the biggest seller of 'used' TPMS' units states, " WE DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA"...I'm thinking a new set might be the way to go.

Question is, can someone confirm that '(part # 06421-S9V-A03)' is correct for a 2007 with alloy wheels? Does it matter that much if they are for a 2008 instead of 2007? Would any (Honda Ridgeline) TPMS sensor work on my 2007 EX-L??

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Question is, can someone confirm that '(part # 06421-S9V-A03)' is correct for a 2007 with alloy wheels? Does it matter that much if they are for a 2008 instead of 2007? Would any (Honda Ridgeline) TPMS sensor work on my 2007 EX-L?
Jim, first of all I would recommend that you abstain from purchasing used TPMS sensors. Two reasons for this is a) relatively low cost of purchasing new sensors from Honda dealer @ $45/each, b) limited lifespan of sensor batteries that range anywhere from 7 to 10 years.:(

Honda part no.06421-S9V-A03 TPMS sensor ass'y is limited for use with the thinner-walled stamped steel 17" wheels which were standard issue on the entry-level '07 DX model (CDN-spec). Honda part no.06421-S3V-A04 TPMS sensor ass'y is limited for use with the thicker-walled cast aluminum 17" wheels which were standard issue on the higher-end '07 EX model; the latter being the model which I personally used when mounting my aftermarket 20's.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Andy, appreciate the input. I had pretty much decided to go with a new set...now I have the 'correct' part # I'll have a look around to see what is available.

The fun part is trying to decide on the new wheels! Do you use the guys on Henri Bourassa at all?

Jim

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I've got some dandy snow tires that are mounted on the original Honda alloy rims that came on my '07 EX-L, and I'm thinking I'll just leave them mounted for next year and buy some fancy new alloys for the '3 season' tires...

So, I've been doing some research on the TPMS situation and looking at maybe buying a set off of E-Bay. Since I want to use new valve stem nuts, etc., and the biggest seller of 'used' TPMS' units states, " WE DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA"...I'm thinking a new set might be the way to go.

Question is, can someone confirm that '(part # 06421-S9V-A03)' is correct for a 2007 with alloy wheels? Does it matter that much if they are for a 2008 instead of 2007? Would any (Honda Ridgeline) TPMS sensor work on my 2007 EX-L??

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, first of all I would recommend that you abstain from purchasing used TPMS sensors. Two reasons for this is a) relatively low cost of purchasing new sensors from Honda dealer @ $45/each, b) limited lifespan of sensor batteries that range anywhere from 7 to 10 years.:(

Honda part no.06421-S9V-A03 TPMS sensor ass'y is limited for use with the thinner-walled stamped steel 17" wheels which were standard issue on the entry-level '07 DX model (CDN-spec). Honda part no.06421-S3V-A04 TPMS sensor ass'y is limited for use with the thicker-walled cast aluminum 17" wheels which were standard issue on the higher-end '07 EX model; the latter being the model which I personally used when mounting my aftermarket 20's.:)
Correct Andy.
Jim, this is the site I got my info from
http://www.hondatpms.com/fitment_types_honda.htm
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The fun part is trying to decide on the new wheels! Do you use the guys on Henri Bourassa at all?
If you are referring to Lazer Auto, I know them and have purchased many items from them. They are truly down-to-earth guys and can help you with your selection of rims.
http://www.lazer-auto.com/

I purchased my rims online from Wheels West of British Columbia. They have super prices and great service.
http://wheelswest.ca/main/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those are the boys...Mike and Dan, just wasn't sure about 'naming names' on the board...

Yea, good guys, knew Mike from NDG in the 80,s when he was first getting started.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nope, used all my old stuff when I put new shoes on.............

No issues here ???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts