Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased a 2013 ridgeline about a month ago. This week was first time the weather got really cold (we went from 24 degrees to 8 in a matter of 2 hours)

the warning light came on showing the pass/rear tire was off. This is my first veichle with that feature, but I've alway been under the impression tires will fluctuate in extream tempuratures. anyway I visually inspected the tire (I know I should have but didn't put a tire presure gage in the truck yet) and it look fine so I did nothing and when the weather warmed up and the light went out.

So the Questions:

1) Am I correct in assuming this is just cold air messing with the tire pressure and there is nothing wrong with my tire or tpms?

2) Does that happen to the rest of you? if you so what do you do about it?

I read in another post if the tpms light is on the traction controll doesn't work. That could be a problem in a minnesota blizzard. Plus if I add air when the temp is at 8 above the tire will be over inflated when it warms up.

Anyway thanks for any help your able to shed. this is a really great site.

MNice

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You are correct. The air pressure will be lower when the air is colder.

You should always check tire pressure when the tire is cold, meaning it hasn't been driven for at least 3 hours. Tire pressure will change 1 psi with every 10 degrees of temperature change.

You can take the calculations from there and adjust accordingly.

Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
Welcome to the ROC MNice.

Yes, that's a common problem. And for that reason I tend to run 34-35 psi in my tires instead of 32 psi as recommended on the door jamb.

The TMPS will trigger the light when the tire pressure falls below 24 psi and will reset it when the pressure rises above 29 psi.

Regarding your 2nd question about the VSA (stability system), you are working under a misunderstanding. When the TPMS illuminates, the system prevents you from disabling VSA via the panel switch for safety purposes. The only known way to disable VSA with low tire pressures (such as when sand driving) is by removing the 20A fuse in the secondary fuse box under the hood.

Edit: I notice OurFarm09 was also posting as I was typing. ;)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Regarding your 2nd question about the VSA (stability system), you are working under a misunderstanding. When the TPMS illuminates, the system prevents you from disabling VSA via the panel switch for safety purposes. The only known way to disable VSA with low tire pressures (such as when sand driving) is by removing the 20A fuse in the secondary fuse box under the hood.
Ya like speed said, it will work, you just can't turn it off. Most times you would want the VSA to work for you, but if your stuck, you want to disable it to get better traction. In your case you would not be able to disable it.

sometimes VSA is a PITA as it robs power from you when you hit the gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the fast replys, that really helps I'll add a few pounds to each tire if can find a day above freezing again.

Thanks for clearing up the question about the VSA also that makes way more sense.

Happy thanksgiving all!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving, and welcome to ROC!

I see you're getting a pressure gauge, which is great. The TPMS threshold of 24 is really, really low - to the point where your handling is compromised, especially if it's a front tire. Cold weather or no, you need to air up, and soon!

Although it's always a matter of great debate, some prefer to run more than the stock tire pressures. I did not like the handling with the OE tires at 32 psi, and after quite a bit of experimentation, I settled on 38 - that's with stock 245/60x18 Michelins, and 8.5" rims vs. the stock 7.5". For winter, I run Blizzak DVM-V1s in size 235/65x18 on the 7.5" rims, and with the softer compound and given the fact that I'll sometimes be in -30F, I like 40 psi.

Experiment and see what works for you!

F

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.