Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a rim for a spare tire. The buyer is telling me that there is no TPMS sensor on the rim. What does that mean for my spare?

1.) If I put a tire on the vehicle without the sensor what is the reaction of the air pressure monitoring system?

2.) How much does a sensor cost?

3.) How is it installed?/Where does it go?

4.) Does it need to be programmed to react to my vehicles computer?

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The owner's manual states, "Driving with the compact spare tire may activate the TPMS . . . The TPMS does not monitor compact spare tire pressure." In other words, don't worry if the flat tire indicator lights for whatever position the spare is using. I think . . . ;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the schematic of the TPMS system. I guessing I would need to get the Initiator Unit and Bracket.

Illust. No Description

1 RECEIVER UNIT, TPMS
2 INITIATOR UNIT, TPMS
3 BRACKET, FR. TPMS INITIATOR
4 BRACKET, TPMS RECEIVER
5 BOLT-WASHER (6X16)
6 BOLT, FLANGE (6X16)

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have a "full size" spare tire mounted in the trunk with a TMPS included...mounted the valve towards the center of the trunk to be able to check tire air pressure every now and then...never had any problems. To be sure...did bleed off air pressure on both rear tires (one at a time) to check if the dashboard indicator would work...worked just fine. Good Luck ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Shingles! I didn't see that schematic

It looks like with sensor, valve stem, and cap it will cost about $50. I am not sure how the easy the install is? Anyone have any experience with the TPMS sensor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts