Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and found several threads with this topic, however none were recent and I wanted to re-visit this topic. I have a 2013 Sport with 35k miles on it. So far I have had 2 TPMS sensors that have needed to be replaced due to air leaking out of the valve stem. I struggle to see how this part can fail (twice) with that little wear/age. I wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem and if it was Sport specific due to the 18" wheels and tires or if it is the same sensor for all models. The truck is always garage kept and both times has been the same cause. I am cleaning the truck and notice a small hiss sound of air leaking from the valve stem. Both times the dealer says the entire sensor will most likely need to be replaced as moisture gets into it and causes corrosion eventually leading to the leak. I only care because this is not a cheap fix. 1st time was luckily still under warranty, but second time was $170 ($85 part and the rest labor I suppose to break down the tire, replace the sensor, mount and balance). I obviously can't do this myself due to lack of tools. Was curious if anyone else has had this problem and if there are any recommendations. I'm preparing myself for the other 2 going bad in the near future....because it seems the odds are good with the first 2 of 4 already going bad.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Sorry to hear about that hassle with the TPMS.

Not much to offer by way of explanation, but wanted to mention that I just purchased a new oem TPMs off ebay for $21. And I've had the local tire shop dismount and remount/balance tires in the past for about $30. So you may want to procure your own spare TPMS units, and see about another shop doing the replacement.

Another thing I noticed when I was shopping for the TPMS unit, was the availability of "rebuild" kits for the TPMS (the kit seemed to rebuild the valve.) I'm not sure I'd bother with those though, if an entire new TPMS unit can be purchased for $21.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Do your stems have caps on them? I find it hard to believe that moisture is an issue unless the caps are missing.

My original sensors were replaced after 10 years of service, along with the original tires. Both were replaced based solely on age. During those 10 years, I was always amazed at how well the tires held their pressure.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My only experience is on my 2010 RTL.
Left rear tire warning popped up on the dash. Took it to dealer. Had to have tire half dismounted and TPMS cleaned and reinstalled. Corrosion between wheel and sensor. That was three years ago.
When I put new tires on a year ago all sensors and wheels where cleaned and reassembled. So far no problems. (Knocking on wood right now).
There has been no problem with air valve. Always kept the cap on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Yes, caps have always been on. Good to know about the new ones on ebay for the future. I agree and wonder why the corrosion is happening. We do have hard winters and salt here in the winter, but still. Only point of caution is I did try an aftermarket sensor (as it was $25 cheaper through local tire shop) but went back the next day due to TPMS light on as the computer clearly couldn't read the aftermarket. Ended up paying the extra for the OE part. Hopefully the other hold up longer than the first two have (3 years and 4 years) but I'd imagine they will go at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
My second set was obtained from Discount Tire and they were manufactured by TRW, the company that produced the OEM sensors. They were installed late in 2015 and have performed as expected.

·
0 Posts
I have a 2013 Ridgeline Sport (33K miles) with the exact same TPMS corrosion issue. I've been dealing with this for almost two years. I have replaced two sensors and rebuilt the others several times. The new hardware replacement seems to last for about two or three months and then corrosion comes back and they start leaking again. Once winter arrives things will most likely get worse. I've spent much time and money trying to resolve, not to mention the aggravation. Neither Honda customer service, Honda dealership, or tire service centers have an answer to the problem. The best theory I have heard so far is that the wheels may have a gap around the stem which is allowing moisture, salt, etc. to get inside the rim and/or whatever alloy was used to manufacture the wheel is not compatible with the metal used in the sensor. I like my Ridgeline very much but can't go on buying sensors indefinitely. This seems like an over-reaction but I am considering selling the vehicle, which I don't want to do, but the frustration level is wearing me down.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,346 Posts
Couple of things. . . .

The wheels on the Sport are essentially the exact same wheels on the RTLs. Its the paint job that is different. If this is chronic problem related these particular wheels then it effects the 09 and later RTLs as well. That's a lot of Ridgelines.

Selling your Ridge over this type of problem (and you are otherwise happy with it) seems overly dramatic. If there really is something wrong with the OEM wheel / TPMS sensor combo, then you could try a set of aftermarket sensors. You could also simply buy a set of aftermarket rims and sensors. The amount of money that you would likely loose on the sale of your Ridge and purchase of different vehicle (taxes for example) would almost surely be more than a set of wheels.

All that said, I have a 14 Sport with 27k miles on it and I have had few issues with the valves stems. The first was a leaking valve core which was easily fixed by unscrewing the core and putting a new one in. For no particular logic, I decided to premptively replace the other cores with the new high quality ones that I bought, but I found that on one wheel the core simply wouldn't unscrew. Perhaps some sort of corrosion is to blame? Overall, I also find that at least some of my tires don't hold pressure for very long. They need just a bit of topping off at least once a month. The temperature is dropping so that is likely part of it. I also do construction and pick up nails / screws in my treads often enough. I don't see any thing in the treads but sometimes its hard to spot the culprit. I suppose it is possible that I have the beginnings of the same problem you are experiencing?

Anyways, good luck and let us know what if you get your problem solved and what it took.

·
0 Posts
Thank you eurban for your feedback.

Yes, selling my Ridge would be taking things to the extreme. You make a good point about losing money on replacing the vehicle and I have considered a new set of aftermarket rims and sensors. I take my Ridge outdoors frequently, often times to remote locations for camping, fishing, off-road motorcycling, etc. only to get in the vehicle and have the TPMS light come on once again. I do take a portable air compressor with me when camping. I'm just tired of dealing with it.

I am leaning toward starting from scratch with new rims and sensors. I will provide an update after I install my new wheel package.

Hopefully, you will not go through the same issues with your Ridge.

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I searched the forum and found several threads with this topic, however none were recent and I wanted to re-visit this topic. I have a 2013 Sport with 35k miles on it. So far I have had 2 TPMS sensors that have needed to be replaced due to air leaking out of the valve stem. I struggle to see how this part can fail (twice) with that little wear/age. I wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem and if it was Sport specific due to the 18" wheels and tires or if it is the same sensor for all models. The truck is always garage kept and both times has been the same cause. I am cleaning the truck and notice a small hiss sound of air leaking from the valve stem. Both times the dealer says the entire sensor will most likely need to be replaced as moisture gets into it and causes corrosion eventually leading to the leak. I only care because this is not a cheap fix. 1st time was luckily still under warranty, but second time was $170 ($85 part and the rest labor I suppose to break down the tire, replace the sensor, mount and balance). I obviously can't do this myself due to lack of tools. Was curious if anyone else has had this problem and if there are any recommendations. I'm preparing myself for the other 2 going bad in the near future....because it seems the odds are good with the first 2 of 4 already going bad.

I think you were grossly overcharged. I had my local tire shop put a new TPMS sensor on my truck for $75 all in no extra charges or labor. It’s literally 15 mins max from taking the tire off to putting it back on. You can try to tighten them w a wrench and can add some plumbing pipe dope to the threads to help seal the stem.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mine is a 10 RTL. Has about 80k on it. I'v had to fix one so far. Had dealer remove, clean both sensor and wheel and replace. That was two years ago.

Now im going out and finding some wood to knock on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
I have had 1 set of Tires replaced on my '06, (17" alloy wheels) when they were replaced they did a "rebuild kit" at Costco, from what I understand new gasket (internal) and maybe a new nut. Anyway 93k my miles 12+ years on my original sensors, but no road salt or other de-icing chemicals

When I purchased my 2017 Honda Pilot 18" wheels,
I had Costco install 4 new sensors for my '06, no issues and all 4 with installation were just under $250. Granted not OEM sensors but much better price. IMG_0075.jpg

YMMV

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the valve stem was leaking out of the stem itself. Did they try changing the valve core first? There also was a Honda TSB years ago that advised that no metal valve caps should be used, because dissimilar metal can cause corrosion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts