Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched high and low for the answer. I only found conflicting answers so I wanted to ask.
I just purchased 4 new sensors, seals, and nuts since I’m putting new tires in next week. The sensor p/n that I got are 42753-shj-a53.
My question is are these self learning or will I need to get them programmed?
Before they are installed, should I get the numbers off each one and it’s location on the vehicle?

Thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.

I entered my vin on Honda’s parts site. It showed these sensors, so I’m hoping their site is correct.

My RL still has the original tires on it. They’re only 1/2 worn, but they are checked/dry rotted pretty bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,797 Posts
2011 Honda Ridgeline (Crystal Black Pearl)? looking at the eBay listing (searching the part number : 42753-SHJ-A53 is the correct sensor...

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
I have read, somewhere, that the self-learning does not always work and if it doesn't you need to manually program them. If you have a Honda Diagnostic System (HDS), you can try to manually program each sensor yourself. If you are like me and don't have a HDS, a dealership visit is probably in your future.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
At 305,000 miles, I have never had an issue with either summer or winter wheels and tires. When my original OEMs started failing about 2 years ago and they installed all 4 new sensors, they were going to program them when I saw what was going on, I stopped them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my first vehicle with TPMS where I had to change tires. Other vehicles were leased and didn’t need tires.
All my sensors work. I figure they’re old and I don’t want to have to take new tires off to change the sensors when they start failing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got 4 new Michelin XLT A/S tires installed along with the TPMS sensors at BJs today.
Thankfully the installer knew how to install the sensors and my wheels didn’t get screwed up.
He told me he programmed the sensors, so I didn’t see if they were self learning.
I was reluctant to use BJs, but they had a special with Michelin tires, as they do several times a year. $70 off a set of 4 plus free mount and balance. They offer free lifetime balance, flat repair, and rotation.
I’ve tried Goodyear and STS (Mavis), and had issues with them in the past. The guy did a great job. Proper torque on the lug nuts and tpms nut, balance seemed good up to 70. So it appears I don't have to go back to have something redone.
According to the date on the tire, they were manufactured April of 2019.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
I got 4 new Michelin XLT A/S tires installed along with the TPMS sensors at BJs today.
Thankfully the installer knew how to install the sensors and my wheels didn’t get screwed up.
He told me he programmed the sensors, so I didn’t see if they were self learning.
I was reluctant to use BJs, but they had a special with Michelin tires, as they do several times a year. $70 off a set of 4 plus free mount and balance. They offer free lifetime balance, flat repair, and rotation.
I’ve tried Goodyear and STS (Mavis), and had issues with them in the past. The guy did a great job. Proper torque on the lug nuts and tpms nut, balance seemed good up to 70. So it appears I don't have to go back to have something redone.
According to the date on the tire, they were manufactured April of 2019.

Thanks for the help
What made you choose the Michelin XLT M/S over others?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have searched high and low for the answer. I only found conflicting answers so I wanted to ask.
I just purchased 4 new sensors, seals, and nuts since I’m putting new tires in next week. The sensor p/n that I got are 42753-shj-a53.
My question is are these self learning or will I need to get them programmed?
Before they are installed, should I get the numbers off each one and it’s location on the vehicle?

Thank you
Spend the extra money and go to the dealership for work on your vehicle, problem solved. Plus, if all work is done at the dealership and any warranty issues come up, there will be no questions as far as maintenance goes, and they will cover it. This comes from my son who is a Nissan dealership mechanic and has seen the dealership refuse to cover warranty items. Just saying! Once the warranty is out, do what you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What made you choose the Michelin XLT M/S over others?
I always have good luck with Michelin. I’ve tried several other tires on my pathfinder that I traded in. The Michelin tires always wore the best and kept their balance.

Spend the extra money and go to the dealership for work on your vehicle, problem solved. Plus, if all work is done at the dealership and any warranty issues come up, there will be no questions as far as maintenance goes, and they will cover it. This comes from my son who is a Nissan dealership mechanic and has seen the dealership refuse to cover warranty items. Just saying! Once the warranty is out, do what you want.
Why would I go to the dealership to have tires installed? There hasn’t been a warranty on this vehicle in almost 5 years.
If my vehicle is under warranty, yes I’d bring it in if something failed. Otherwise, I do my own work. That way I know it’s done right.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
The dealers around here a pretty much complete idiots. Dealer service departments routinely rank lowest in customer service rankings. They also routinely charge more for their services . . .

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Interesting thread. I had an aluminum cap fuse to the stem causing it to break when I remove it. NTB installed a new set of Nitto TG2's and replaced the TPMS sensor. It's been fine for about a year and now is throwing a check tpms error. Most on the forum point to battery as it's a 2011. I'm going to leave it be until it's time for new tires again which at that time I'll replace the sensors. OP, your wheel looks like it's brand new! I remember those days!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts