Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do I have to use Honda OEM tmps sensors or can i use another brand? will they reprogram themselves?
thanks

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
do I have to use Honda OEM tmps sensors or can i use another brand? will they reprogram themselves?
thanks
Use ONLY the Honda brand. The Dorman sensors say they work on the Ridgeline but they won't.

The Honda's will reprogram themselves.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Just brought my RL in for winter swap. I have a second set of wheels... the OEM RL gray RTX wheels, and have used them for years on my last two Odysseys (2011 and 2006) with TPMS sensors I bought new for the 2006 Ody (in 2009).

Apparently those TPMS sensors (which are Honda OEM) for the Ody are not compatible with the RL? Now I have winter tires on those rims with no TPMS working, so dealer will not mount the wheels.

Any problem running the winters without TPMS sensors other than the aggravation of the light? I can just put them on myself.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After I installed my new tires and lift the tpms light is stuck on, didn't change wheels just tires so I'm not sure why they are setting the light off now. Personally I find tpms technology to be one of the dumber things to be added to cars. I'm going to just deal with the dash light through the winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am shopping for winter tire/wheel set. Two shops including Honda won't install without the TPMS which is an additional $300 expense. They can't allow a disabled "safety system" to leave the shop. I would not disable seat belts, air bags or VSA, but I have managed tires pressure quite well for the past 50 years without technical assistance...

The Honda service adviser suggested that failing to install the TPMS would impact the VSA function, but that doesn't make sense to me.

So, further to Fraugher's question, is anyone aware of any impact of not installing TPMS other than the blinking lights (and not being warned of low tire pressure)?

Thanks!

Just brought my RL in for winter swap. I have a second set of wheels... the OEM RL gray RTX wheels, and have used them for years on my last two Odysseys (2011 and 2006) with TPMS sensors I bought new for the 2006 Ody (in 2009).

Apparently those TPMS sensors (which are Honda OEM) for the Ody are not compatible with the RL? Now I have winter tires on those rims with no TPMS working, so dealer will not mount the wheels.

Any problem running the winters without TPMS sensors other than the aggravation of the light? I can just put them on myself.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
I'd have to search, but I do believe that maybe correct that the VSA is disabled without the TPMS operational. I know at one time Discount Tire/America's Tire was selling them for $27 a wheel, I believe they are now about $40 per tire/wheel. I'm unsure if they would ship to Canada, but they are TRW sensors and may be available in Canada, from a parts supplier there for less than $300 CAD which is about $60 over DT's price.

Discount Tire TPMS Thread

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks.
I did some more searching. It seems that without TPMS the VSA can't be turned off. Which could be awkward if you were stuck.
Thanks for the suggestion about sources.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll suck it up and get the TPMS with steel rims from Honda, competitively priced. Don't want to loose any of the VSA functionality.
However, I will check them on the $29 programming fee they quoted, thanks to info from this forum!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with csimo - only use OEM sensors. Of course any good tire shop can install them but they must be OEM. I replaced the sensors on my old ridgeline at Discount Tire and the TPMS would stay on. They even tried to reprogram the system with the IDs (opposed to the auto learn sequence) . That didn't work either.

Discount Tire did swap the sensors for OEMs ones without much hassle.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,587 Posts
OEM sensors are made by TRW. The TRW sensors that Discount Tire sells are essentially the same as OEM ones except not quite as expensive. Also, there are a number of reports in this forum of people having good success with the inexpensive Dorman sensors.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
Thanks.
I did some more searching. It seems that without TPMS the VSA can't be turned off. Which could be awkward if you were stuck.
Thanks for the suggestion about sources.
That would be correct. I also heard reports that aftermarkets won't sync automatically and have to be programed. I also heard that if you get low air with aftermarket sensors and put the proper air, some report that the sensor may have to be reprogrammed to turn the light off.

I just sucked it up and went OEM and got them at the dealer for $40 each. Some stealers are just hungry for suckers. I would call other dealers and get the best price.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
OEM sensors are made by TRW. The TRW sensors that Discount Tire sells are essentially the same as OEM ones except not quite as expensive. ..............
^^^^^^^^^ this is correct.

The simple solution is of course buying OEM... and you can save some money buying them from on-line OEM source (e.g. Bernardiparts.com, Majestic, etc.).

But if you want to do a little research to save much more (%-wise), just do a search on this topic & you'll find posts from the Discount Tire guy (one of several ROC sponsors), who defines just which one to get. You can PM him directly if you're uncertain. The key is getting the OEM equivalent. THAT is important... and then you're good to go. No programming, etc.

Several ROC members have posted their trouble free experience in this area. You may want to preview with your installer however, because some have nearly come to blows convincing their installer that there is not programming required (& of course no associated programming charge). Even some Discount Tire stores have been guilty of this. So really it's just a matter of a little extra leg work to save the extra cash.

(Can't comment on anything other than OEM & TRW equivalent)

;)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll suck it up and get the TPMS with steel rims from Honda, competitively priced. Don't want to loose any of the VSA functionality.
However, I will check them on the $29 programming fee they quoted, thanks to info from this forum!
I went with the local Honda dealer for Toyo Observe GSi5's on Honda steel wheels. The TPMS were $50 (that's in little Canadian dollars...) and there was no discussion of any programming fee.

I had checked with two other tire shops and all were competitively priced. Honda and one other, WOULD NOT install without TPMS. The third shop would have, but "reluctantly", and said the invoice would not reference make-model of my vehicle.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
So just how long do original sensors last?
I have not been paying to much attention to this subject but to my knowledge we have not replaced TPMS yet. My sister has got replacement tires at Tires Plus but don't think any sensors have been replaced in almost 9yrs 152,000 miles. I got to thinking about this yesterday mourning when I got into my nephews 09 Focus. The low tire pressure light was on when I started the car.
I drove it to pharmacy to get my medicine and back. No tires to the eye seemed low. I told him about it he said he would check on it this mourning I used the car and light was off. The digital Slime tire pressure gauge that I purchased for him identical to the others for Ridgeline & my 3.2TL was in the passenger seat. But I was thinking about when sensors need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,587 Posts
My early 06's sensors have just started to go bad this summer. That's 10 years in the Mid Atlantic hot / cold climate.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts