Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies/Gentlemen

First, belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

We had a good discussion in Sept when I asked for your opinions on sand driving when we were in Hatteras.

I have a thought. Although defeating the actual Indicator Light is not allowed, if the actual TPMS on a wheel goes out, I am not required to correct it.

That being said, I am thinking of moving all the Sensors to the Spare Tire. This will allow the System to still technically be intact and also allow me to have full control of our All Wheel Drive, regardless of the Tire Air Pressure.

When needing wheel speed, I could turn off the Traction Control from the Dashboard Switch and not have to monkey with pulling Fuses if aired down

Is there anything that I am missing with this proposal?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
With a little imagination, I'm guessing he's talking about putting all of the the TPMS sensors (valve stems & all) INSIDE the spare tire which is then fully aired up (with a non-TPMS stem... or one of the 4 TPMS stems installed in the spare wheel (rim) ). I see the logic, but I don't know how the TPMS sensor "reads" pressure; In otherwords, I don't know if the TPMS is activated by "open" air pressure surrounding the sensor (OP's proposal would work in this case); or if the pressure is somehow measured against the opposing force of the wheel in which it's mounted, or the resisting air pressure that's usually on the other side of the stem (in which case it would not work).

Only one way to find out I say. Good Luck trying that.... be SURE to let us know what you find out. Your idea makes sense to me.

P.S. A variation on your idea would have you making up a small pressure vessel that's drilled for your 4 sensors/valve-stems, which would all then be mounted to it. Fill the vessel (via one of the valve stems) to 32PSI or so & you should be set to go. May or may not be easier than putting them inside your spare (depending on your skill set, resources available & imagination)..... but regardless of how they "function" (ref my previous pondering), this approach will get you what you want; that is, valid, active signals being sent from your sensors to your TPMS system, so as to allow tires to be aired down w/o effecting VSA disabling switch/capability.

Now, I just had a notion for a simple pressure vessel: Use a small pneumatic wheel/tire like you see on two wheel dollies..... drill a few extra valve stem holes; mount them all on this one wheel; fill to 32PSI, and throw that little thing in your trunk. No need to mess with your spare (unless you think that is easier of course). Fairly simple work-around to fool the system.

Note that all of these solutions presume there is not specific "proximity" requirements for the locations in which the sensors are found. It's notable that the system "knows" which sensor is located front-left, rear-right, etc. So hopefully the system won't go berserk if they're all found in the same general location (like in your trunk or spare tire).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Honda TPMS sensors are activated by the tire rotation. You could get away with your plan with the older band style tpms sensors and some gm valve stem sensors but not the new stuff.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Honda TPMS sensors are activated by the tire rotation. You could get away with your plan with the older band style tpms sensors and some gm valve stem sensors but not the new stuff.
Are you sure about that? Would that just be the initial activation? They certainly are not rotating when they sit overnight & come on in the morning after having lost pressure.
Also, I thought I read something about a member here who had a 'stray' tire sitting in the driveway while he was working on his truck & the system erroneously picked that tire/sensor up & reported on it.

I'm just trying to reconcile my limited understanding. Can you offer more explanation?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, and certainly not insurmountable with a little or a lot of ingenuity.
The Suspension section of the FSM - TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) .....pages 18-86 talks about the system, so lots of information and it does say that there are individual proximity sensors in each wheel well . It also says that a Honda tech can use to HDS system to initially manually assign a TPMS sender to a wheel location with the HDS tool, but the TPMS sender must be at least 10 feet away from any previously unassigned TPMS senders. I assume automatic registration still happens and overrides any manual assignment and programming. HDS only eliminates the possibility of someone driving off the lot and immediately seeing an error.

There was a previous thread on this and seems like they found a solution, but someone also wrote up how they wired a switch into the cabin to open the VSA fuse so they could air down for sand driving, which may ultimately be an easier solution? Seems the mod didn't make any permanent changes, just used one of those "Little Fuse -Add A Circuit" devices sp? to create a location to wire in a switch. They may have cut into or modified the "Add A Circuit", but I don't recall any necessary permanent changes to the OEM wiring.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,873 Posts
One modification that TRacer came up with is to install a panel mounted switch to bypass the 20A fuse in the 2ndary underhood fuse box:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=551196&postcount=21

That might be a simpler solution than yanking the sensors from each wheel and putting them in another pressure vessel (spare tire or whatever).

Here's a little light reading about the system:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a TPMS light on & scan tool indicates problems with 3 tires. Interchanged sensors & iniators with the only "good" wheel. Still same code on same tires. Installed a "used" control unit - Still same good wheel & 3 bad. I assume I have to take it to a dealer for the new control unit to "Learn" the iniators. - - - I wouldn't fix the TPMS problem - Except I cannot turn OFF VSA. Here with Minnesota Snow - When you are stuck - VSA is a pain in the.... When stuck - Can I just pull the VSA fuse in order to get myself out & re-insert it when I am on the road?
- - What a dumb idea to tie the TPMS to the VSA - - - -

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,873 Posts
Yes, you can pull the 20A fuse in the 2ndary underhood fuse box which will disable VSA... and also disable ABS. Be advised.

Unless the 2009 TPMS system is different from the 2006-2008 system, I don't believe you have to take it to the dealer to learn the initiators.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have a TPMS light on & scan tool indicates problems with 3 tires. Interchanged sensors & iniators with the only "good" wheel. Still same code on same tires. Installed a "used" control unit - Still same good wheel & 3 bad. I assume I have to take it to a dealer for the new control unit to "Learn" the iniators. - - - I wouldn't fix the TPMS problem - Except I cannot turn OFF VSA. Here with Minnesota Snow - When you are stuck - VSA is a pain in the.... When stuck - Can I just pull the VSA fuse in order to get myself out & re-insert it when I am on the road?
- - What a dumb idea to tie the TPMS to the VSA - - - -
Maybe dumb question, but did you try the VTM-4 Lock button when you got stuck?? (or have you actually been stuck with the RL yet?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts