Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a line o great deal - set of winter Tires (Cooper) on Honda Steel Rims with TPMS installed - off a 2009 Honda Pilot ...

Seems like the should easily swap over to my 2009 RTL (EXL in Canada)

But.. appearances can be deceiving.. any info anyone can share?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
According to a neutral source, like Discount Tire, they should be fine. Obviously both are the 5-120 bolt pattern but the offset (for alloy wheels) is the same as well (recommended at 42mm offset). I'd assume that there would be no interference from the calipers as they seem similar in size. Discount Tire has the exact same aftermarket alloy wheels listed in 17" for a 2009 Pilot and 2009 Ridgeline...I'm 99.9% sure there would be no issues.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Yes, they should work just fine. I have a set of 2010 Pilot rims on my ’06 RTL. You might want to check on the TPMS sensors, to make sure they are compatible with the TPMS on your RL. I don’t see a problem, though…as 2009 and forward TPMS sensors…whether from a RL or Pilot…should talk the same language. You only have issues if you try to use 2009 or newer TPMS sensors on 2008 or older RL’s.

One thing to note…you will need to get different lugs. The lugs from your RL rims will not work with the Pilot rims. As noted above…I learned this when I put Pilot rims on my RL.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes, they should work just fine. I have a set of 2010 Pilot rims on my ’06 RTL. You might want to check on the TPMS sensors, to make sure they are compatible with the TPMS on your RL. I don’t see a problem, though…as 2009 and forward TPMS sensors…whether from a RL or Pilot…should talk the same language. You only have issues if you try to use 2009 or newer TPMS sensors on 2008 or older RL’s.

One thing to note…you will need to get different lugs. The lugs from your RL rims will not work with the Pilot rims. As noted above…I learned this when I put Pilot rims on my RL.
Good point - not sure what type of seat the steelies have. I know that temp spare steel wheels are 'matched' to the type of lug the primary wheels have. It would be a bonus if the source of the steelies with the winter tires included the lugs. This is a basic diagram of the main types of lug seats.

P.S. I have a 17" Honda OEM Steel Wheel as my full size spare in the RL. I also have the specific lugs for this wheel in my tool bag. I'll look at the lugs shortly and confirm. I'm positive Honda would use one type of lug for the OEM steel wheels...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good point - not sure what type of seat the steelies have. I know that temp spare steel wheels are 'matched' to the type of lug the primary wheels have. It would be a bonus if the source of the steelies with the winter tires included the lugs. This is a basic diagram of the main types of lug seats.

P.S. I have a 17" Honda OEM Steel Wheel as my full size spare in the RL. I also have the specific lugs for this wheel in my tool bag. I'll look at the lugs shortly and confirm. I'm positive Honda would use one type of lug for the OEM steel wheels...

Just checked - they are Ball/Radius for the Honda OEM steelies (I think Ball/Radius is pretty standard for steel wheels anyways)...

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys... that info is a big help. picked them up for 700 bucks but no lugs.. they went with the Pilot....

Hoping they will swap out fine... My dealer offered to throw them on in the Express Lube Lane so I could see if they fit....

Anyone know if the 2009-onward TPMS sensors HAVE to be programmed? and if so, how hard that is to do/is required to be done at a dealer?

thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
No needs to be programmed on Ridgeline, is self learning system.
Needs to drive about 40sek or less that's all.
If sensors are correct will register them quick.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks Guys... that info is a big help. picked them up for 700 bucks but no lugs.. they went with the Pilot....

Hoping they will swap out fine... My dealer offered to throw them on in the Express Lube Lane so I could see if they fit....

Anyone know if the 2009-onward TPMS sensors HAVE to be programmed? and if so, how hard that is to do/is required to be done at a dealer?

thanks[/QUOTE

I did the same thing recently, put 2010 rims on my 07, rims fit fine but had to use lug nuts off the 2010, my 07 are the flat ones and 2010 were the cone ones and my 07 TPMS would not fit the 2010 rims.....since you are going from 2009 to 2009 I would think all will fit including the TPMS are the same.....but I did my home work by going to Majestic Honda parts site and looked up both to see what I had to do if anything....after you put your model in look up selection "wheels" and it shows all that will fit including part numbers so match the part number with each rim.....TPMS...lug nuts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the suggestion to try Majestic Honda.

Here my update. Only picked this Ridgey up 11 months ago. I had the tires rotated at the dealer at lest once never had an issue

stopped by Friday night to have the snows swapped but was told no can do as I had those lock lug nuts on the rims - I thought they were a Honda factory option, but no...

the guy I got the Ridge from is a 4 hour drive away, so no getting the lock nut from him...

They found a way to swap the rims (18 alloys OEM to 17 OEM Steelies from a Pilot.) and used the same lug nuts.. Replaced the lock nuts with new lugs (at $10 each?)

they then spent 2 hours trying to "initialize" the TPMS but failed....

they claimed the 2009 Pilot Sensors either had dead batteries or were the wrong kind.... The dealer only charged me .4 hours of labour but...

oh well back the Drawing board and living with a TPMS light on...

Arghh

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
thanks for the suggestion to try Majestic Honda.

Here my update. Only picked this Ridgey up 11 months ago. I had the tires rotated at the dealer at lest once never had an issue

stopped by Friday night to have the snows swapped but was told no can do as I had those lock lug nuts on the rims - I thought they were a Honda factory option, but no...

the guy I got the Ridge from is a 4 hour drive away, so no getting the lock nut from him...

They found a way to swap the rims (18 alloys OEM to 17 OEM Steelies from a Pilot.) and used the same lug nuts.. Replaced the lock nuts with new lugs (at $10 each?)

they then spent 2 hours trying to "initialize" the TPMS but failed....

they claimed the 2009 Pilot Sensors either had dead batteries or were the wrong kind.... The dealer only charged me .4 hours of labour but...

oh well back the Drawing board and living with a TPMS light on...

Arghh
I did some research this afternoon on the Majestic site and the 2010 pilot 17" come with part # 42753 STK A04 TPMS and the 2009 RL 18" uses 42753 SHJ A53 TPMS......which are the same ones I just installed in my upgraded OEM 17" Alloys off a 2010 RL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alaskanyukon,
Where did you get your information from? Sites i have come accross on line spoke of having to reprogram the computer. Im not calling you a lier or nothin, but want to find out for sure what i am going to be up against. I also want to get some winter rims and tires for my RTL.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Alaskanyukon,
Where did you get your information from? Sites i have come accross on line spoke of having to reprogram the computer. Im not calling you a lier or nothin, but want to find out for sure what i am going to be up against. I also want to get some winter rims and tires for my RTL.

Thanks
Just my .02 in your ?.... and it might be in your manual but from the Honda shop manual it says that the tpms will program automatically after rolling on truck only short distance.... sometimes if the tpms's are installed in tires but have been sitting not on vehicle they might need to be awakened.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts