Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put bigger tires on the stock rims do I have to change out the TPMS sensors? I've looked all over the place and cannot find a clear answer. I'm sure someone knows.
I just ordered my Truxxx lift and I'm trying to narrow down the tires I want to put on the truck. I'm thinking of something in the 265/65/17 range and maybe a Bridgestone Dueler Revo. I will probably be doing more highway than off road so I don't think I need a strictly off road tire.
One other question, before I forget, is that tire size going to fit well enough so I don't have to trim? Can I go a little bigger and make it with the lift? I really can't get over the idea of cutting into that seam. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Silver, did you notice a big drop in power with the bigger tires/lift? I'm contemplating doing the same thing, but going with the tire choice/size the other guy mentioned...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any pictures of the trimming you had to do that you can post? I want to try to get a good idea of what I'm getting into before I make the decision on a tire size. I really want to avoid any trimming to the weld. I'm not so worried about the mud flap but any trimmed down metal just screams rust magnet too me. You're Ridge looks awesome by the way. I think my next purchase might be some new rims.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Zell, welcome to the ROC buddy. Before you get flammed, do a search for and you'll find plenty of other threads with pics of the grinding that needs to be done. Almost everyone with a lift and bigger tires has done this mod. Just use some good paint and you'll be fine with the rust.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey Silver, did you notice a big drop in power with the bigger tires/lift? I'm contemplating doing the same thing, but going with the tire choice/size the other guy mentioned...
No loss in power, just a loss in gas mileage! I lost about 2 MPG, but after installing the intake and exhaust I'm back to where the mileage was when the Ridge was stock.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the trimming you had to do that you can post? I want to try to get a good idea of what I'm getting into before I make the decision on a tire size. I really want to avoid any trimming to the weld. I'm not so worried about the mud flap but any trimmed down metal just screams rust magnet too me. You're Ridge looks awesome by the way. I think my next purchase might be some new rims.
I'll post some pics later when I get home. I was able to modify my mudflaps so they still work, that was easy. I was worried about rust too, but took some advice from fellow ROCers. After grinding down the welds a little bit I sanded it by hand, primed it and then sprayed rubberized undercoating over the area.

I didn't have to grind to much of the pinch welds to make my tires work. The tires only rubbed when I turned really sharp.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ah crap Silver, lol. I already have the intake and exhaust so I'm screwed if I go that route! Guess I'll stick with the 255 tire vs the 265. I might still consider the lift and stay with the 255 tire, I only lose about 1/2" of tire height.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the guys I work with says that a lot of shops won't do an alignment on a truck that has been lifted. Is this a true statement? Am I going to have trouble finding a place to align everything after I put my lift on?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I put my Truxxx Lift in myself. I then went down to the tire shop with the specs that were in the install instructions and they did the alignment without a problem. I got prices at about four shops and all were willing to do the alignment after I installed the lift.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have a lifetime alignment through my local Bridgestone/Firestone service shop. It was $150 and I can go back every day if I wanted and he said if I did the lift it wouldn't matter. You're not doing some radical 6" lift on the Ridge, its just a simple 2" so some places wouldn't even notice the truck was lifted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great news. I'll try to get Tire Barn to do the alignment when I get my new tires so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If they won't do it then there is a Firestone right around the corner I'll have to it.

On another note... I was just looking at the install instructions for the Truxxx kit and I was wondering if I am going to need a spring compressor for this install. I wouldn't think so but I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts