Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I need to attempt this on my wife's 2010 Subaru Outback, one of her sensors has died, and I'd like to attempt to change the battery rather than buy a new one (~40 bucks). I'm just hoping the shop on the corner won't mind me bringing in a loose wheel/tire to have them break it down and wait while I change it out lol

Did you need any special tools? I havn't even looked into this yet but I will need to soon.

Edit: Did just a little digging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y04gARDiZx4 seems like maybe replacement of battery is a no.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to attempt this on my wife's 2010 Subaru Outback, one of her sensors has died, and I'd like to attempt to change the battery rather than buy a new one (~80 bucks). I'm just hoping the shop on the corner won't mind me bringing in a loose wheel/tire to have them break it down and wait while I change it out lol

Did you need any special tools? I havn't even looked into this yet but I will need to soon.

Edit: Did just a little digging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y04gARDiZx4 seems like maybe replacement of battery is a no.
Yep ,Seen that video as well , continue the You tube search, you will see how it's done . Some are easier that the ridgeline . It seems they (Battery) are just under the surface , or under the board . Ridgeline under the board and set it very stiff compound ,but with sore fingers and palm I got them apart . I just used a small pocket Blade Snap on screw driver.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yep ,Seen that video as well , continue the You tube search, you will see how it's done . Some are easier that the ridgeline . It seems they (Battery) are just under the surface , or under the board . Ridgeline under the board and set it very stiff compound ,but with sore fingers and palm I got them apart . I just used a small pocket Blade Snap on screw driver.
I haven't seen this, but from the description, I'd think a dremel wheel with grinder or cutting wheel might just be the ticket?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The battery should last longer than 4 years. You also need to check if the transmitter or the receiver is bad. Swapping tires side ti side may help with that determination assuming that your sensors automatically connect without the need for the diagnostic tool.
If the wheel module is bad, is it worth the effort to take it out, disassemble it, replace it and then find out that the module went bad and not the battery? Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery should last longer than 4 years. You also need to check if the transmitter or the receiver is bad. Swapping tires side ti side may help with that determination assuming that your sensors automatically connect without the need for the diagnostic tool.
If the wheel module is bad, is it worth the effort to take it out, disassemble it, replace it and then find out that the module went bad and not the battery? Just my 2 cents.
The truck is 8 model years old with 120k miles and was originally from the warm state of Florida, the batteries are tested at 2.6-2.7 volts and my total investment ,even if all fails is $32.00 So I will carry on with my take a chance approach . That and the 2 codes I pulled for Tpms sensors

·
Administrator
16,327 Posts
What a money-making racket these TPMS systems are! Instead of using batteries, they could be using capacitors with inductive charging systems built into receivers. But that would cost the auto maker $50 more per vehicle and the TPMS manufacturers and service providers would lose hundreds of dollars over the life of each vehicle in replacement costs.

I know, I know... This nonsense isn't new. One of the devices we use at work is a $2,500 temperature controller that has a CR2032 battery soldered to the main board. Instead of soldering in a 10-cent socket and making the battery easily replaceable by the end user, their only solution is to have the customer send the controller in for repair so they can charge $500 to replace the entire circuit board!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, Got the batteries , installed ,sealed ,and put back on truck , Tpms like came back on , But now armed with generic tester and repair manual we found one bad sensor and one that was beat up bad from tire changes . So 2 new sensors and it's all good .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts