Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, about 6 months I had new tires installed on my 2013 ridgeline, I went a little bigger. Now all of a sudden my Tpms light went on and the tire pressure is fine. I don't think that it has anything to do with the new tires because they been on for a while. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to bring it in if its something I can do myself. Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,600 Posts
If it's the actual TPMS light, then you probably have a bad TPMS valve sensor on at least one of your wheels. Could be battery failure. Dealer can diagnose exactly which one and replace. These usually last at least 4 years, but some have reported less in durability. Now if it's the low air pressure light, one of your tires must be low of air. To note that you will be unable to deactivate your VSA if your TPMS light is on unless you pull a fuse. Tire size should not matter if your air pressure is good.

If I was a betting man, you have a battery failure in one of your TPMS valves. Batteries are not worth replacing and some have reported early failures in aftermarket valves replacements and some with programming issues. Most will recommend OEM valve replacement which will last longer and auto program themselves without issues.

Hope this helps.

J

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's the actual TPMS light, then you probably have a bad TPMS valve sensor on at least one of your wheels. Could be battery failure. Dealer can diagnose exactly which one and replace. These usually last at least 4 years, but some have reported less in durability. Now if it's the low air pressure light, one of your tires must be low of air. To note that you will be unable to deactivate your VSA if your TPMS light is on unless you pull a fuse. Tire size should not matter if your air pressure is good.

If I was a betting man, you have a battery failure in one of your TPMS valves. Batteries are not worth replacing and some have reported early failures in aftermarket valves replacements and some with programming issues. Most will recommend OEM valve replacement which will last longer and auto program themselves without issues.

Hope this helps.

J
J thanks for the help, have a good one.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hi all, about 6 months I had new tires installed on my 2013 ridgeline, I went a little bigger. Now all of a sudden my Tpms light went on and the tire pressure is fine. I don't think that it has anything to do with the new tires because they been on for a while. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd hate to bring it in if its something I can do myself. Thank you.
Did you get "bigger" wheels, or just bigger tires on your original wheels?

If you put on new wheels, it's possible the shop that installed them might have damaged your TPMS sensors when they transferred them from your old wheels to the new wheels.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you get "bigger" wheels, or just bigger tires on your original wheels?

If you put on new wheels, it's possible the shop that installed them might have damaged your TPMS sensors when they transferred them from your old wheels to the new wheels.
Just bigger tires, stayed with the original rims.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Just bigger tires, stayed with the original rims.
OK then.... I suppose it's still possible they could have buggered one of them up while mounting/dismounting the tires. It just seems odd you'd have a bad battery already, but maybe you just got a 'bad' one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK then.... I suppose it's still possible they could have buggered one of them up while mounting/dismounting the tires. It just seems odd you'd have a bad battery already, but maybe you just got a 'bad' one.
I had the tires installed months ago and the Tpms light just came on last week.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,385 Posts
Dnick, I've seen several posts where the newer RL's have had TPMS failures, the '06-'08 are lasting like 10 years, I just lowered the Air on each of mine and the light came on for each tire.

Lecky, Discount Tire, has posted on here and has said they can source the "correct TPMS" for out RL's. I'd contact them

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dnick, I've seen several posts where the newer RL's have had TPMS failures, the '06-'08 are lasting like 10 years, I just lowered the Air on each of mine and the light came on for each tire.

Lecky, Discount Tire, has posted on here and has said they can source the "correct TPMS" for out RL's. I'd contact them
I'm hoping Honda will warranty it, I only have 9500 miles

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,873 Posts
You should be well within warranty. Don't bother troubleshooting it. Take it to the dealer.

Out of curiosity, which TPMS light is on? The low tire pressure indicator or the TPMS light?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,385 Posts
Then to the dealer it is, if it was me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts