Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible? I think this owuld be a fantastic feature, especially in the event of theft.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is something you don't want! I may be paranoid, but if the authorities can track the vehicle, then they can track mileage. Once they do that they can tax you on the amount driven. So say hello to a mileage tax along with a gas tax, sales tax, income tax, excize tax, rubber disposal tax, booze tax, tobacco tax and a slew more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
emgun said:
This is something you don't want! I may be paranoid, but if the authorities can track the vehicle, then they can track mileage. Once they do that they can tax you on the amount driven. So say hello to a mileage tax along with a gas tax, sales tax, income tax, excize tax, rubber disposal tax, booze tax, tobacco tax and a slew more.
They already have plans for that. Especially out here in the People's Republic of California, (and Washington and Oregon as well). But they don't need to track you. Just mandatory mileage reports each year. They'll catch you when you go in for smog checks. Welcome to 1984.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Massachusetts already has a concept for this but it is through state mandated insurance costs. If you have a low mileage vehicle you get a price reduction.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Slightly off the subject BUT.....

You all KNOW that there is a BLACK box in every Ridgeline and it tracks everything you do right?

Well, I don't know about EVERYTHING but on page i (very first page of manual - right hand side):

Event Data Recorders
This vehicle is equipped with one or more recording devices commonly referred to as event data recorders or sensing and diagnostic modules.

I wonder how long they record before it is over written by NEW material if it every is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
they could be referring to just the ODBII features.

But that's not uncommon on modern cars to record max rev, max speed, etc etc.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
shingles said:
But that's not uncommon on modern cars to record max rev
Reminds me of Days of Thunder. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
To get back on the subject and off the conspiracy bandwagon :)

The GPS equipment in the RL Navi models only RECEIVE GPS satellite signals. They do not transmit information, like vehicles equipped with OnStar do. Therefore, there is no way for you to be tracked in your RL, just as you cannot be tracked using a handheld GPS receiver.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EBone said:

The GPS equipment in the RL Navi models only RECEIVE GPS satellite signals. They do not transmit information, like vehicles equipped with OnStar do. Therefore, there is no way for you to be tracked in your RL, just as you cannot be tracked using a handheld GPS receiver.
Thanks Ebone.

·
Registered
146 Posts
EBone said:

But they can track your cell phone if it is turned on...

Also, csimo pointed out in another thread that there is a pc-card slot in the NAV DVD unit that might allow data downloads using the Download Data button in the hidden NAV screens --- which are likely GPS data dumps....something that would finger your truck to be at a certain place, doing "X" speed.... I'm looking around for an old flash card to test that theory. I pressed the button and it displayed a message stating that no pc card was in the slot!

Would be nice to know how to "reset it" in times of "need" :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
kd4z said:
But they can track your cell phone if it is turned on...

Also, csimo pointed out in another thread that there is a pc-card slot in the NAV DVD unit that might allow data downloads using the Download Data button in the hidden NAV screens --- which are likely GPS data dumps....something that would finger your truck to be at a certain place, doing "X" speed.... I'm looking around for an old flash card to test that theory. I pressed the button and it displayed a message stating that no pc card was in the slot!

Would be nice to know how to "reset it" in times of "need" :D
I would assume that the download data button would relate to the compact flash slot, i.e. that if a firmware or software update were out for the Nav unit, the dealer technician would insert a flash card with the new software/firmware and press the download button to download it from the flash card.

As far as the cell phone tracking goes, you have to have a phone that has tracking capabilities built in, and the phone also has to be ON...

·
Registered
146 Posts
EBone said:
I would assume that the download data button would relate to the compact flash slot, i.e. that if a firmware or software update were out for the Nav unit, the dealer technician would insert a flash card with the new software/firmware and press the download button to download it from the flash card.

As far as the cell phone tracking goes, you have to have a phone that has tracking capabilities built in, and the phone also has to be ON...
I believe it actually is there for multiple reasons. However, we only can see the "download" button in one of the hidden screens. I would like to try and see what it does. The firmware updates are done from the DVD drive by a simple DVD data disk update. Likely with the right development environment, the card slot is just another device to the the Operating System and could also be used for updates.

As for your comment regarding cell phone tracking...not quite so. As long as your cell phone is turned on, it doesn't need any tracking features to be located. Big Brother can easily tell which antenna array (which side) of any cell site towers your cell phone is associated with. All it takes is a court order or other similar government level request and your cell phone can be triangulated to one half a square mile or less in high density cell site areas. Simple radio direction finding techniques Sure, they can't tell what parking space your in without a close in driveby for signal level, however if you are driving on a highway. you can be tracked easily from site to site.

·
Registered
138 Posts
kd4z said:
As for your comment regarding cell phone tracking...not quite so. As long as your cell phone is turned on, it doesn't need any tracking features to be located. Big Brother can easily tell which antenna array (which side) of any cell site towers your cell phone is associated with. All it takes is a court order or other similar government level request and your cell phone can be triangulated to one half a square mile or less in high density cell site areas. Simple radio direction finding techniques Sure, they can't tell what parking space your in without a close in driveby for signal level, however if you are driving on a highway. you can be tracked easily from site to site.
You are correct about the traingulation technique using the three nearest cell towers to your location to get your position. I had thought you were referring to the latest generation GPS enabled phoes which send a signal showing your exact latitude and longitude. These are becoming popular in the "work" series of phones such as used by Nextel. Your employer can know your exact location and track your movements (or lack of movement as the case could be in a delivery driver) to know your actions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts