Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody -

As you all probably know, weather here in Chicago has been terrible, and it's raised some questions for me re: my Ridgeline's performance in snow and ice.

I used to think that my RT had amazing traction and handling in virtually all conditions, as most have reported on this site. However, this winter I feel like I've started to notice my snow driving capabilities worsen. Although I would never admit it to her, I think my wife's Chevy Equinox might be out handling my RT right now =/.

The thing I can't quite isolate yet, is whether the problems are due to my tires or the actual VSA / ABS system. I have relatively new (2-3yr old) Yokohama Geolanders on there, and they still have a pretty fair amount of tread on them. However, I feel like I'm constantly sliding and slipping, and would be spinning out (if not for VSA).

I'm curious if anyone has experienced the VSA or ABS becoming "too proactive." In other words, being so overly sensitive that they are constantly engaging even just in tiny slippage situations which magnifies the sense that I'm slipping a lot more than I should be.

It's entirely possible that its just my tires, but it just seemed weird to me that my tires could be that bad in snow already. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
It must be your tires. I drive many vehicles in garbage conditions 6 months of the year and none feel near as confident as my RL with X-ices on them.

On glare ice the VSA will retard the throttle A LOT! I have found it that the vehicle barely moves at all when there is little to no traction available. Solution? Don't drive on ice. :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had various yokohoma tires and they have been great for wear and dry pavement. Wet and snow on the other hand were their weak spot.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I vote for tires.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It's your tires. Oh and welcome to the club...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, all. I think you're probably right about the tires. I guess on my next set, I'll have to value snow and ice ratings a little higher than usual! Cheers.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the responses, all. I think you're probably right about the tires. I guess on my next set, I'll have to value snow and ice ratings a little higher than usual! Cheers.
But if it really matters, nothing beats a set of winter tires - all-season tires are not even close.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I live in Buffalo where we get a lot of snow, my vote would be tires. When I first bought my RL the stock Michelines were very good in all types of driving after a few years they really started slipping on snow covered roads, I bought a set of Hankook ATM r/f 10s a couple of years ago and they were great in snow and on ice, after 30+thousand miles on them now they are not that great. I also bought a Forester this year and everyone I talk too says they are great in snow but I find mine really bad but the Bridgestone tires that came on the car get poor reviews for winter driving, I guess next year I'll get actual winter tires for it.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,044 Posts
I have a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT-S's on my truck now. I haven't had any problems with them at all in the 18 months they've been on there and they have barely shown and wear. Do you have the HT-S highway tires? If so, I'd say that's your problem. They weren't really built to handle snow and ice. I wanted the AT-S to have a slightly more aggressive pattern and better capability. I had a set of General Grabber HTS and they were terrible. Only lasted 33k miles and caused me to slide everywhere - even in rain. Luckily, I was able to get a pro-rated warranty on them and got the Yoko's for $120 each installed. I know they are expensive, but many on here swear by the stock Michelins for all-weather traction and longevity. There were 88k miles on my original ones when I had to replace them. I just simply couldn't afford $220 a tire at the time, so I went with the less-expensive Generals. Twas a mistake.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Hi Everybody -

As you all probably know, weather here in Chicago has been terrible, and it's raised some questions for me re: my Ridgeline's performance in snow and ice.

I used to think that my RT had amazing traction and handling in virtually all conditions, as most have reported on this site. However, this winter I feel like I've started to notice my snow driving capabilities worsen. Although I would never admit it to her, I think my wife's Chevy Equinox might be out handling my RT right now =/.

The thing I can't quite isolate yet, is whether the problems are due to my tires or the actual VSA / ABS system. I have relatively new (2-3yr old) Yokohama Geolanders on there, and they still have a pretty fair amount of tread on them. However, I feel like I'm constantly sliding and slipping, and would be spinning out (if not for VSA).

I'm curious if anyone has experienced the VSA or ABS becoming "too proactive." In other words, being so overly sensitive that they are constantly engaging even just in tiny slippage situations which magnifies the sense that I'm slipping a lot more than I should be.

It's entirely possible that its just my tires, but it just seemed weird to me that my tires could be that bad in snow already. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Look to the Trading posts....
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78329

and run winter tires with another set of rims

After trashing several sets of OEM Michelans with alot of Summer miles left on them this is the route I plan to go... Like others have said you lose alot of winter traction at 30K and over.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a rather steep driveway and, living in the country, drive lots of unpaved or unplowed roads. I routinely purchase winter tires & wheels for every daily driver. I no longer have to take a running start and hope I make it up the driveway and stop before hitting the garage door.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
tires,

ive never run anything but Michelins on the RL, never got close to getting stuck, etc.

8th Chicagoland winter for the RL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2013 with 30k miles, this is my second ridgeline, my first was a 2008 with the same tires. I do not slide around, but the ABS is way to sensitive, I find it very annoying when coming to a complete stop. I don't remember this to be the case on my 2008.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Mine handled the bad weather like a boss yesterday. Not quite as nimble as my Rav4 in the snow, but definitely more stable feeling.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
But if it really matters, nothing beats a set of winter tires - all-season tires are not even close.
Exactly right! The OEM LTX tire is a midway to a snow, but can't really compare to a snow tire. I have no idea where your Yokohamas fall in for snow rating, I like the RL set up .... FWD moving traction to the back when needed is inherently..IMO.. better than the opposite...just like I've always believed FWD is better than RWD in snow/ice. The RL set up is an extension of FWD

But, contrary to many here, I believe the majority of 4WD situations will be handled well by all current 4WD/AWD set ups if equipped with good tires and they have adequate clearance. A RL with worn tires can't stop any faster than any other similar vehicle...nor steer better before the SC/TC kicks in. Traction with worn tires is probably the same deal, because once traction is needed from both ends, the FWD advantage becomes a somewhat moot point. My RL with worn 32,000 mile LTX tires was horrible on snow/ice for traction, steering, and stopping. . Shod with Blizzaks, it's a formidable snow machine.

I will say I would rather have a FWD/AWD drive vehicle with worn tires over a similar RWD/4WD.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My VSA doesn't come on nearly enough. But I attribute that to the fact that I have oversized tires which throws the computer's feedback readings out of whack.

I run General Grabber AT2 (all terrain) tires. They're pretty good in the snow but they're not a perfect substitute for actual snow tires. If I were a richer man, I'd have a second set of wheels with designated snow tires on them.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a 2013 with 30k miles, this is my second ridgeline, my first was a 2008 with the same tires. I do not slide around, but the ABS is way to sensitive, I find it very annoying when coming to a complete stop. I don't remember this to be the case on my 2008.

I suppose it's possible the programming is wrong on your 13, but the ABS only kicks in when it senses tires locking up..probably the same sensors as used on many other models/brands. A snow tire will reduce the ABS engaging due to the much better adherence to the surface it's on. My ABS/SC/TC literally engaged all the time on slippery/icy roads with 32,000 mile LTX tires. I always felt the OEM tire was marginal to start even when brand new.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I agree..mine seems to have gotten more sensative lately..if that is possible...new tires before this winter too...couldnt leave parking spot with build up of snow unless i turnedd off tc..same on slick road..too slow them abs off and away it went...with it on really slow...

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I have A 06 Ridge have not ever had a problem driving in the rain or snow. have a set of Michelin X Ice winter tires I install in December and a set of the oem Michelin lats for spring,summer & fall. fyi if you go to this link it shows why http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=23&tab=winter :act060:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts