Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on trading a 2012 RTL w/ 80,000 miles for a 2014 w/40,000 miles.
I'm guessing somewhere in the $8 grand price difference.
If I estimate 5 years from now at 15k miles per year, the new one would have 100k miles and if I kept the old one it would have 140k miles. Seems like that $8 grand difference would diminish significantly.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,197 Posts
On Honda's end, there is not much real changes between the 12 and 14. Both are out of warranty now unless you get one from the seller. Is your 12 in good shape and has it been properly maintained? Do you like it's color? Is the 14 a RTL? At 80k your 12 still has plenty of life left in it but will need a timing belt (etc) service in 25k miles. All in all 8k seems like a lot of $ if your current Ridge is in good shape.

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
291 Posts
I once went through a very similar situation. It was probably 2013, and I was considering trading my 2006 RTS for a 2010 RTS. Same color but with 80,000 fewer miles, if I remember right.(My 2006 was due for the timing belt/spark plugs/etc.) The cost difference, was a little over 10K I think. Instead, I ended up doing the maintenance and spending about two grand more for new wheels, a leather interior and a new stereo for my 2006. Ended up being a good move for me, as it felt like almost a new truck. I kept that 2006 for another 6-7 years and it served me well. Last year, with over 200k miles on the clock and quite a bit of maintenance and repairs again needing to be done, I traded it for a 2011 RTL w/Nav. Wasn't even really looking, but I happened across the 2011 in Mocha metallic with only 60k miles and couldn't resist. So I guess the point of my story is that you might want to consider putting a little money into your existing truck, rather than spending a lot of money for a not-so-huge upgrade.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,358 Posts
Too bad Honda doesn’t offer mocha these days. One of the best colors on the G1.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMO when it gets to 6-8 years old, it's all about maintenance and condition rather than age. You know your truck's history, but not the other's. If yours has been well maintained, has no issues and is in good condition, I'd say paying $8K and going into the unknown for one only 2 years younger isn't worth it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
At 336k on my 2009, I can hardly imagine driving at such low mileage. A six year old vehicle with only 40k miles? I hope it was kept inside. I'd consider changing the timing belt on that one sometime in the future, just based on age.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At 336k on my 2009, I can hardly imagine driving at such low mileage. A six year old vehicle with only 40k miles? I hope it was kept inside. I'd consider changing the timing belt on that one sometime in the future, just based on age.
Seems like most of the timing belt failures have been with replaced belts. I think that original belts have a better record, but I bet that depends on storage conditions, temperature and some regular driving.

Reactions: oarnold
1 - 8 of 8 Posts