Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a large dealer in Scottsdale this morning for the fuel pump seals factory recall, an oil change and tire rotation. Had time on my hands so wandered over to look at the 2021's and had a sales guy chat me up. \Naturally he was hot to have me trade in my 2019 {with 20,500 miles} in on a 2021. Told me he could "probably" get me $20,000 in trade {sight unseen}. Keep in mind that I was happy enough 22 months ago to go out the door for $39K {which means I paid roughly $35K for the truck} on a nicely equipped RL. About the only things the 2021's have that I don't are all of the nanny garbage and the large stereo/navigation package which I deliberately passed on as that "package" which has been problematic and added $4,600.

Now I am very happy with my truck and trust me, I seriously use it as such every week. It is paid for and I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. To accept his generous {seriously???} offer I would be losing nearly $700 month over the last 2 years in depreciation and would have to come up with at least another $20,000. He claimed that the chip shortage was making clean used trucks like mine worth more and they really wanted to make a deal... you can't make this stuff up. I have read some pretty amazing reports lately about folks being offered more than they paid for their RL's {and if they want to say so it's OK with me} but his proposed deal left me more than a little offended. Obviously this was a short conversation that went nowhere.

For the record I would not have been interested if he offered me $30K in trade. Like I said, I love this truck, it does everything I ask and I ask a lot and like everything else I own it is {as noted} paid for. Sheesh.

o_O:eek::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,343 Posts
Was at a large dealer in Scottsdale this morning for the fuel pump seals factory recall, an oil change and tire rotation. Had time on my hands so wandered over to look at the 2021's and had a sales guy chat me up. \Naturally he was hot to have me trade in my 2019 {with 20,500 miles} in on a 2021. Told me he could "probably" get me $20,000 in trade {sight unseen}. Keep in mind that I was happy enough 22 months ago to go out the door for $39K {which means I paid roughly $35K for the truck} on a nicely equipped RL. About the only things the 2021's have that I don't are all of the nanny garbage and the large stereo/navigation package which I deliberately passed on as that "package" which has been problematic and added $4,600.

Now I am very happy with my truck and trust me, I seriously use it as such every week. It is paid for and I plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. To accept his generous {seriously???} offer I would be losing nearly $700 month over the last 2 years in depreciation and would have to come up with at least another $20,000. He claimed that the chip shortage was making clean used trucks like mine worth more and they really wanted to make a deal... you can't make this stuff up. I have read some pretty amazing reports lately about folks being offered more than they paid for their RL's {and if they want to say so it's OK with me} but his proposed deal left me more than a little offended. Obviously this was a short conversation that went nowhere.

For the record I would not have been interested if he offered me $30K in trade. Like I said, I love this truck, it does everything I ask and I ask a lot and like everything else I own it is {as noted} paid for. Sheesh.

o_O:eek::ROFLMAO:
That sales guy was attempting to steal your truck. For a 2019 with 20K miles, you should have been offered, sight unseen, more in the neighborhood of $33K. The 2019 is a perfectly fine G2 and I applaud you for keeping it. No wonder they call them "stealerships." Thank you for sharing your encounter with the sales guy.

Reactions: Drakken

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,532 Posts
He probably could get you $20,000? What a pal, lol. 33-35would be a better number, but you know what you have and you own it, so why sell it? I have a 2020 RTL-E with just under 10,000 miles on it and I own it. No need to replace it either as it’s been a good one. Just think if you bought a new one and got a “leaker”........😱😱😱😱😱

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
This is pretty standard procedure for many dealers. Sales people are warned when some customers come in for service and use it for a chance to make a trade/sale. I am sure it works enough for them to keep trying. Can’t blame them for trying.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I too am keeping my 2019 RTL, but curiosity prompted me to check Carvana a month or so, and they offered me 33.5 (if I remember right) - and that was with 22,700 miles. What a whacky time period we're in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a joke. I'm in the Northeast and my 2018 RTL-E is worth the same amount that I bought it for if not more. With 29k miles, a Black RTL-E cannot be found. I am considering selling it because when will I ever have a car that is worth the same amount that I bought it for 3 years earlier. What a joke and don't underestimate the diamond that the Ridgeline is right now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
don't underestimate the diamond that the Ridgeline is right now
I hear ya. Ridgeline Owners Forum is the biggest "buyer beware" site on the net. I like mine a lot and the more people I meet that have one really understand what you are saying!

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline BE-White
32 Posts
The RL isn’t special…. The market is just nuts. I sold my 2017 F-250 for 10k more than I paid for in 2017…three weeks ago.

you want great resale value, diesel HD trucks and commercial vans sell like gold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts