Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post here. Yesterday I traded in my 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 for a Ridgline and I am so much happy I did it. First off, the Tacoma is a fantastic truck. Super reliable, solid, lots of tech and features but far more of a Truck than I needed. I don't tow large trailers. I don't offroad. The 4x4 was good for the tiny handful of days that we had snow in Massachusetts this winter. The Tacoma had barely acceptable seats, was very loud and bumpy. It was also very cramped for space. Our family always traveled in the wife's Tucson because it is a much more comforatable vehicle for long trips.

What shocked me is that the dealer gave me $40,000 for my Tacoma with 13k miles. I paid $36,500 when purchased new in March of 2021. Was able to pick up the Ridgline RTL-E for MSRP at 45,150.

Now regarding the Ridgline. It is by far most gentle vehicle I have owned. Very quite, comfortable spacious cabin. Driving feels like floating on a cloud vs the Tacoma. The AWD system is really a much better option for dealing with weather related driving. I've only been driving it for a short time however this vehicle feels SO much nicer than the Tacoma. It's much better suited for our needs which are hauling the kayaks, bikes, random objects. And I love all the just nice features (the truck bed storage is really useful). The only problem now is that the wife is eying my Ridgline as hers now....I may end up with the Tucson.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,302 Posts
Reactions: SEW and Lucky Jack

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yesterday I traded in my 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 for a Ridgline and I am so much happy I did it.
I don't tow large trailers. I don't offroad.
The Tacoma had barely acceptable seats, was very loud and bumpy.
It was also very cramped for space. Our family always traveled in the wife's Tucson because it is a much more comforatable vehicle for long trips.
What was the reason for buying the Tacoma in the first place if it so poorly fit your needs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was the reason for buying the Tacoma in the first place if it so poorly fit your needs?
I had a Chevy Colorado before that that had some major transmission issues that I got sick of dealing with. I wanted a Ridgline but the model I wanted (RTL-E) was 10K higher than the Tacoma I saw which was the ONLY Tacoma on the lot and available for the next 6 months. The Tacoma had all the fancy tech of the RTL-E also. It was also a manuel transmission which was cool, but tends to become tiring living in an urban area. So I never would have traded in the Tacoma had it not risen in value like that. Something I never thought was possible.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My most recent truck before the RL was a 2019 Nissan Frontier that had one of the worst steering feels of anything I have ever driven. However, it could really pack a load in the intermediately deep cargo area and I could reach in over the side rails and retrieve things. I find that the RL's cargo area is extremely shallow and posses some interesting limitations for some of the things I would like to carry. I added to the lack of depth by putting on a Lomax tri-fold hard tonneau which is completely self-inflicted but keeps things in the back dry in our wet Florida 6 months of rains.

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
I had a Chevy Colorado before that that had some major transmission issues that I got sick of dealing with. I wanted a Ridgline but the model I wanted (RTL-E) was 10K higher than the Tacoma I saw which was the ONLY Tacoma on the lot and available for the next 6 months.
My brother had a (2016?) Tacoma that had transmission issues. He traded it for a (2018?) Colorado that also had transmission issues. I laughed at him until the transmission in my 2019 Ridgeline failed. He's got a 4Runner now that's been flawless...except for the loss of oil after the Toyota dealer didn't tighten the filter.

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E Modern Steel with Gray interior
150 Posts
First post here. Yesterday I traded in my 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 for a Ridgline and I am so much happy I did it. First off, the Tacoma is a fantastic truck. Super reliable, solid, lots of tech and features but far more of a Truck than I needed. I don't tow large trailers. I don't offroad. The 4x4 was good for the tiny handful of days that we had snow in Massachusetts this winter. The Tacoma had barely acceptable seats, was very loud and bumpy. It was also very cramped for space. Our family always traveled in the wife's Tucson because it is a much more comforatable vehicle for long trips.

What shocked me is that the dealer gave me $40,000 for my Tacoma with 13k miles. I paid $36,500 when purchased new in March of 2021. Was able to pick up the Ridgline RTL-E for MSRP at 45,150.

Now regarding the Ridgline. It is by far most gentle vehicle I have owned. Very quite, comfortable spacious cabin. Driving feels like floating on a cloud vs the Tacoma. The AWD system is really a much better option for dealing with weather related driving. I've only been driving it for a short time however this vehicle feels SO much nicer than the Tacoma. It's much better suited for our needs which are hauling the kayaks, bikes, random objects. And I love all the just nice features (the truck bed storage is really useful). The only problem now is that the wife is eying my Ridgline as hers now....I may end up with the Tucson.
I came from a Taco (and several other mid and full sized trucks before the Tacoma) and you are spot on with your observations. Loved the Tacoma and it was rugged but I really didn't need the off road capabilities - Ridgeline definitely hits more of my needs.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had a 2015 Silverado 2500 LTZ with 89,000 miles on it. I kept getting messages to "Drive above 50 MPH" due to the pollution controls-I was driving around local at 35-45 MPH and was getting soot in the CAT. Anyway, traded it in just before the fuel crisis, getting what I paid for it 7 years ago. Bought a 2022 RT. What a difference! twice the fuel mileage, much better ride. Drove from VA to SC - NC and back, getting over 28 MPG (60-65 MPH). Absolutely love the trunk in the back. $5000 to $10,000 cheaper than a full-size truck. Time will tell, but so far, it's a great truck.

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
I had a 2015 Silverado 2500 LTZ with 89,000 miles on it. I kept getting messages to "Drive above 50 MPH" due to the pollution controls-I was driving around local at 35-45 MPH and was getting soot in the CAT.
I've never heard of any such message nor is it referenced in the 2015 Silverado 2500 owner's manual.

The closest I've seen is Fords that will warn you when vehicle speed is about to be limited to 50 MPH in 50 miles if they run out of DEF.

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E
27 Posts
Welcome! I went from a 1979 Dodge D100 to a 2012 Taco 4x4, to a 2022 RTL-E.

I guess my tastes have moved toward more comfort and refinement each step of the way!

Reactions: Laststand

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E Modern Steel with Gray interior
150 Posts
Welcome! I went from a 1979 Dodge D100 to a 2012 Taco 4x4, to a 2022 RTL-E.

I guess my tastes have moved toward more comfort and refinement each step of the way!
I'm with you on the comfort and refinement - plus I tell everyone who asks, "why Honda for a truck?", with age comes wisdom.

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
Wait until you use the traction control with AWD in the winter. It is insanely stable on bad winter pavement! I was driving circles around everybody.
The Ridgeline is downright boring in the snow and ice (and that's a good thing!). I've shared this video a few times before of me driving around other cars in a Ridgeline on an icy road.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,302 Posts
The Ridgeline is downright boring in the snow and ice (and that's a good thing!). I've shared this video a few times before of me driving around other cars in Ridgeline on an icy road.
I love driving in the winter!

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
I do, too, as long as there's no other traffic around, but most people don't know how to drive in winter weather here in NE Texas. They try to drive faster on snow than they do in the rain!

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Burgundy
25 Posts
My most recent truck before the RL was a 2019 Nissan Frontier...
My prior truck was also a Frontier (2011) and I too miss the utility of that little pickup's bed. The inner side rails that carried the adjustable tie-downs and the bed extender/restrainer were a real favorite! The overpriced bed extender on the RL is almost worthless with its two positions. And like you, I added a tonneau cover so the forward position for the extender is completely unusable.

The RL's bed trunk was a feature that I was really looking forward to - and I use it a great deal. BUT - since my tie-down straps and tools are in the trunk, I have to remember to extract them before ANYTHING goes into the back, which really cuts down on the utility of storing things there.

Back to the Frontier - I GREATLY miss the 6-speed stick, the analog controls for audio, and the fact that I could back it up with the driver's door open. I will NEVER learn to appreciate the automatic, especially one with push buttons instead of a shift lever.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts