Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge and after a number of detours finally accomplished the goal of a new truck. I traded in my ‘19 Toyota Tacoma OR for an RTL-e.

I figured with the resale value of the Taco being so high, now was a good time to trade in, though of course with supply being limited I didn’t get much off the MSRP of the Ridgeline. Though I have enjoyed the Taco for 2 years, I had become fairly tired of its shortcomings, with the unrefined ride, laggy acceleration and noise. I am a manual guy by nature, but slogging through the gears with the Taco seemed like work, especially for in-town driving. I thought it was time to step up to something more upscale.

I’ll probably have more observations later, but first impressions: the cabin feels MUCH bigger than the Taco, more like a big sedan or SUV than a smallish truck. The appointments are nicer—the Tacoma had a simple, 70’s-ish style that was very functional, but this is a more lux interior with more perks like heated steering wheel and nice power seats.

Performance-wise, the acceleration is completely smooth, not jumpy as with the 6-geared Tacoma. Seems to have more get-up-and-go. And QUIET. OMG—it’s like 20 dB quieter than the Tacoma, and no wind noise even on a very windy day. And the stock stereo is much better, even with Sirius XM.

Don’t get me wrong—if you want to spend less, do rigorous offroading, or happen to like manual shifting, the Tacoma is a great truck. They’re very popular, and the resale value is sky-high. I just think that the Ridgeline is a more suitable truck for people like me who do trucky things like hauling bikes and kayaks and going offroad a bit, but commute a ton too and want something comfortable which performs well on the road.

·
Super Moderator
6,076 Posts
That RTL-E looks great, @OmahaJeff. The accessories look good also.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Welcome to the ROC!

Nice looking truck, enjoy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boy I was enjoying this ride on my way to and from hospitals today...smooth ride, great acceleration, good soundsystem, comfortable seats, and surprisingly one of the quietest vehicles I have ever ridden in. In fact, as far as ride comfort I would put it on a par with our Volvo S60 and even my prior BMW X3.

However...

On the way back from Council Bluffs, as I was getting toward my exit off the expressway into Omaha, the rear back tire low pressure warning came on. That's funny, I thought, I saw the TPMS yesterday when I picked the car up...all tires at 35-36 PSI.

No obvious driving issues, so I pulled into Whole Foods to get lunch. (Fortunately my office is next door.) I noticed the tire was almost COMPLETELY FLAT, and I could hear air leaking out.

I called the dealer, and ended up having Honda Roadside Assistance send a guy out through AAA to put on the spare. (Could I have done it? Sure, though he needed some wrenches to unloosen the bolts holding the temporary spare in place, and it helped having an air socket driver. Of course I shouldn't HAVE to change a tire less than 24 hours after taking ownership of the vehicle, so I was glad to have them take care of it for me.)

I didn't see any obvious damage until the tire was off, at which point a half-broken box cutter blade was easily visible in the inside sidewall of the tire.

I assume I drove over this today, though theoretically it could have been in there anytime even upon arrival.

Can't believe the irony of this. I have literally never had a sudden flat on a vehicle in my life. (Helped a friend change her tire on the side of I-10 once about 1984. Wouldn't want to do that again.) I have only had a couple of slow leaks. To happen on the first day I own the truck...

On the positive side, it didn't go completely flat on the highway, or then I would have been a lot more ticked off, assuming I hadn't had a major accident. Guess I will just get a new tire and go back to enjoying the new ride.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
What sucks is having two flats. Yep, happened to me on the Pa Turnpike a couple years ago in a Chrysler 200 with that dreaded 9speed lol. I went to change one tire cause i had a spare. Get done and look at the other tires afterwards and yep. 2nd one was flat. That's what happens when you hit a semi 3x3 anti rollback device that falls off a trailer and lays in the middle of the road. Two flats. That sucked. And then when my wife came up to get me at Somerset she turns off the Escape and BAM that battery happens to die right then and there. lol Sucked to be me that night. Got home at 1am after having the tow driver jump it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Boy I was enjoying this ride on my way to and from hospitals today...smooth ride, great acceleration, good soundsystem, comfortable seats, and surprisingly one of the quietest vehicles I have ever ridden in. In fact, as far as ride comfort I would put it on a par with our Volvo S60 and even my prior BMW X3.

However...

On the way back from Council Bluffs, as I was getting toward my exit off the expressway into Omaha, the rear back tire low pressure warning came on. That's funny, I thought, I saw the TPMS yesterday when I picked the car up...all tires at 35-36 PSI.

No obvious driving issues, so I pulled into Whole Foods to get lunch. (Fortunately my office is next door.) I noticed the tire was almost COMPLETELY FLAT, and I could hear air leaking out.

I called the dealer, and ended up having Honda Roadside Assistance send a guy out through AAA to put on the spare. (Could I have done it? Sure, though he needed some wrenches to unloosen the bolts holding the temporary spare in place, and it helped having an air socket driver. Of course I shouldn't HAVE to change a tire less than 24 hours after taking ownership of the vehicle, so I was glad to have them take care of it for me.)

I didn't see any obvious damage until the tire was off, at which point a half-broken box cutter blade was easily visible in the inside sidewall of the tire.

I assume I drove over this today, though theoretically it could have been in there anytime even upon arrival.

Can't believe the irony of this. I have literally never had a sudden flat on a vehicle in my life. (Helped a friend change her tire on the side of I-10 once about 1984. Wouldn't want to do that again.) I have only had a couple of slow leaks. To happen on the first day I own the truck...

On the positive side, it didn't go completely flat on the highway, or then I would have been a lot more ticked off, assuming I hadn't had a major accident. Guess I will just get a new tire and go back to enjoying the new ride.
Congrats @OmahaJeff , truck looks nice! Sucks about your tire but like you mentioned at least it wasn't on the highway. I bought a full spare for when I tow and that thing comes with me on cross-country trips and leave the baby spare for around town or small trips.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
What sucks is having two flats. Yep, happened to me on the Pa Turnpike a couple years ago in a Chrysler 200 with that dreaded 9speed lol. I went to change one tire cause i had a spare. Get done and look at the other tires afterwards and yep. 2nd one was flat. That's what happens when you hit a semi 3x3 anti rollback device that falls off a trailer and lays in the middle of the road. Two flats. That sucked. And then when my wife came up to get me at Somerset she turns off the Escape and BAM that battery happens to die right then and there. lol Sucked to be me that night. Got home at 1am after having the tow driver jump it.
Ouch.

In 2019 my wife was following me in her 2009 MB convertible with the low-profile tires. I saw the ginormous pothole and swerved, but she didn't and popped both front tires on the back edge of the pothole, which was about 5" deep with about a 90 degree back "wall". Scared the sh*t out of her, but fortunately not injured. The wrecker driver said he'd been doing the job 10 years and had never seen that happen. Hard to believe no suspension/steering parts or rims were bent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad to see it worked out with Honda and Toyota. You'll enjoy the RL. I came from a Taco as you have and the difference is amazing. It sucks about the flat but unlike my ND there's a spare to put on.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
247 Posts
I got a nail in a tire driving a new truck home once, it stinks! Nice looking truck !

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
Does the warranty cover the flat tire / roadside hazard? I've heard many warranties don't, but they might within the first 30 days of ownership.

·
Registered
2021 black edition
47 Posts
Does the warranty cover the flat tire / roadside hazard? I've heard many warranties don't, but they might within the first 30 days of ownership.
I think the roadside service is 3 years unless you pay for more, but double check it as I'm not 100% certain.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations on the truck. Good to know the honda roadside service works.
I was pleasantly surprised how quick they responded. Got AAA out to the truck in 20” and apologized for the delay.

Don’t know but I guess I’ll find out!

·
Registered
4 Posts

However...

Today I tried to remove my spare just checking it out (2021 RTL-e) and I needed a wrench too to loosen the spare tire rack hold downs… something we should all check out before needed.

·
Registered
2021 black edition
47 Posts
Today I tried to remove my spare just checking it out (2021 RTL-e) and I needed a wrench too to loosen the spare tire rack hold downs… something we should all check out before needed.
Absolutely! The wing bolts that hold down the tray in mine were installed by someone the size of a linebacker. It took me 20 minutes to get them loose just to see what was in the tray. I'm glad I was at home on a sunny spring day, not on the side of the highway in the rain.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If this had happened 5 minutes earlier, I might have ended up on the side of the highway or down an embankment instead of a Whole Foods parking lot...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Am I reading this correctly where you are blaming Honda for this flat tire?

If I hear and read correctly, we apparently are still fortunate that Honda still supplies a spare tire in the Ridgeline, where some manufacturers out there no longer do?

Bill

·
Registered
2020 RTL,2019 Passport Elite
94 Posts
Absolutely! The wing bolts that hold down the tray in mine were installed by someone the size of a linebacker. It took me 20 minutes to get them loose just to see what was in the tray. I'm glad I was at home on a sunny spring day, not on the side of the highway in the rain.
Same here. I had to use channel locks to get my wing nut off.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If this had happened 5 minutes earlier, I might have ended up on the side of the highway or down an embankment instead of a Whole Foods parking lot...

View attachment 412912
Sorry that you had a sudden unexpected "adventure", but hey let's get back to priorities.....I really like those wheels!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
But on the flip side of the tight-wingnuts situation....we'd all be upset if the spare were rattling, right? That would be a lot of easy-peasy warranty charges for dealers though, i.e. "I'm hearing a metallic noise in my brand-new truck!", lol.

Reactions: wjfyfe
1 - 20 of 26 Posts