Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Trailer Brake Questions

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Ian Brantford 
#1 ·
Plan to tow boat with weight in the 3500-4000 pound range. Do I need trailer brakes? Will be in flat terrain in Florida.

#2 · (Edited)
To be legal in Florida, yes. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

Practically speaking, if you're going to be doing more than moving it around a flat yard, towing a brakeless 4,000 pound trailer with a vehicle that only weighs a little more than that is a recipe for disaster - simple physics. You know how it is - as soon as you hook up a trailer, every driver around you starts doing stupid things. You need brakes.

Flymo

#6 ·
#4 ·
I also have questions about adding a trailer brake controller. I realize that it is best to have the brakes, even tho my 5x10 utility trailer does not. In the event I want to add a trailer with brakes, I know a brake controller is needed to actuate the trailer brakes.

I have a 2014 Sport that I recently picked up used. It has the receiver and the RV connector plug under the rear bumper already, and I assume it is factory installed. I understand the brake controller is supposedly pre-wired under the left side panel above the e brake, marked with blue tape. Is this connector already wired into that 7 pin connector at the receiver? Are trailer brakes controlled thru that 7 pin connector as well?

I was looking on eBay for controllers that state they are for the Ridgeline, with factory tow package......but when I get to the compatibility chart....it states it isn't compatible for my 2014 Ridgeline. I think that is an error, but I don't know with that conflicting info.

tekonsha p3 is what I am considering, IF in fact it will work....

#5 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I'd be very surprised if the trailer that the boat comes on does NOT have trailer brakes already.
And if you don't already know... not all brakes require a controller. Two types of brakes typically found on trailers are electric brakes (to which a controller applies, but may not be required), and surge brakes that do NOT require a controller.
Surge brakes are not uncommon on boat trailers, and they are activated by the weight of the trailer pushing against the tow vehicle/hitch. They work just fine in my experience, presuming they (& the trailer) are designed for the weight being towed. Check out the trailer in question to see if it doesn't already have surge brakes.

But to your original question: YES, absolutely! Especially with a boat (can amplify accident consequences by coming off the trailer).

#10 ·
The tekonsha brake controllers are some of the best on the market and I recommend them for sure.

Correct, surge brakes don't require a controller. Wiring my brake controller wasn't too bad, but finding that one hidden wire/harness under the dash was a little bit of a pain, LOL.

No way in hell I'd consider towing anything 3k or more w/o trailer brakes.

#14 ·
Interesting location for the brake controller. Did you relocate the OBDII port (by your right knee... under that brake controller)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.