Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my brake controller/wiring on my 2014 RL and was hoping someone could help steer me in the right direction...

I bought the truck in January and installed a Prodigy P2 with the plug-in wiring adapter. Installed easily and hooked right up to my trailer, no problems. I have been towing at least once per week with no problems.

Then, I took the truck in for an oil change yesterday (to the dealer) and when I hooked the trailer up today, nothing. P2 is showing "nc" error, which evidently means no connection.

Here's what I have tried:
- cleaned both sides of truck-trailer connection with contact cleaner
- tested voltage coming out of controller (tested at 12 v)
- tested continuity of controller wiring harness (also ok)
- physically inspected the wires going into 7-way plug at back
- tested continuity of wiring on trailer side (also ok)

My thinking is I need to next take apart the factory 7-way plug at the back to check for a loose connection. Any other thoughts or suggestions on what to try?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I am having a problem with my brake controller/wiring on my 2014 RL and was hoping someone could help steer me in the right direction...

I bought the truck in January and installed a Prodigy P2 with the plug-in wiring adapter. Installed easily and hooked right up to my trailer, no problems. I have been towing at least once per week with no problems.

Then, I took the truck in for an oil change yesterday (to the dealer) and when I hooked the trailer up today, nothing. P2 is showing "nc" error, which evidently means no connection.

Here's what I have tried:
- cleaned both sides of truck-trailer connection with contact cleaner
- tested voltage coming out of controller (tested at 12 v)
- tested continuity of controller wiring harness (also ok)
- physically inspected the wires going into 7-way plug at back
- tested continuity of wiring on trailer side (also ok)

My thinking is I need to next take apart the factory 7-way plug at the back to check for a loose connection. Any other thoughts or suggestions on what to try?
Does your dealer do a complimentary car wash when you get your oil change??? Perhaps they use a pressure washer & got over zealous around the back ... possible water intrusion inside the connector? Long shot, but you could check it out.
Did you check for voltage at the connector pins themselves??

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I noticed there are some Technical Service Bulletins on related subjects. Here are the summaries for those for 2006 (I was looking at my model). You might want to check to see if these, or others for your 2014 model might still apply, and possibly be related to the problem you are having. Just FYI:
- VTM4 fuse#4 blown after trailer installation (10018258)
- Installing an electric brake controller (10018025)
- Backup lamp circuit can't handle additional load (10018026)
- Backup light in trailer connection.... 7pin connector does not support backup lights even though.... (10016304)

Numbers following summary are NHTSA numbers. I could not cut & paste from the site I was on, so just paraphrased/truncated the text there. You'll have to check yourself to find TSBs that may apply, and to determine if there is a fix associate with them. This is just 'clue' info for you to follow-up on if you're inclined. May or may not be of any help. I'm posting here for others also with trailer wiring issues to advise to check for outstanding TSBs on your year model. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the assistance!

Turns out it had nothing to do with the truck at all... somehow the wiring to one of my trailer brake magnets broke. Quick and cheap fix, so I'm happy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts