Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just picked up a '14 sport. My question is, where is my plug for my trailer lights? I Looked up the vehicles specs. And it says it's wired but a harness is needed. Went to Honda and he told me I needed this 173.00 kit with relays and under dash stuff, really???? I assumed I just needed to tie into a harness in the vicinity of the rear bumper. Any help would be appreciated, thank you much. Lenny.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The dealer is correct. The factory harness is your best bet. You could go a cheaper route and install an after-market unit, but eventually electrical problems often result with those.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Honda was a little misleading on that. What they mean is that the body wiring is in place for the trailer wiring to have it's own electrical system. But they don't supply the connector end or the relays & controller.

It lets them offer the truck for a lower price to those who don't care about towing.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
4,576 Posts
The dealer is correct. The factory harness is your best bet. You could go a cheaper route and install an after-market unit, but eventually electrical problems often result with those.
I've had my aftermarket plug n play "T" harness installed since 2008 and never had an issue. That being said, I also live in Phoenix, and nearly all of the failures of aftermarket harnesses I've read about on this forum were installed in areas with more humidity, rain or snow.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,595 Posts
Yep. First time doing this may take you about 90 minutes if you DIY. However, it is a tight squeeze under the panel fishing around for the blue-taped connectors, etc.

There are a number of guides here at the ROC on the process. Just make sure you get the right wiring harness kit for your model year. And definitely don't cheap out here with a 3rd party harness. Unless you live in Arizona. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would also advise to be careful when you pull on the wiring at the drivers' side rear corner of the truck. The wiring is tucked up in there and you have to reach between the frame rail and the storage trunk (a tight squeeze). When I fished mine out, I pulled one taped section free, but it wasn't long enough. I pulled the 2nd taped section (apparently the wiring is bunched and taped in two places), and one of the sharp sheetmetal edges cut through the flexloom and one of the wires as the tape finally freed.

Not catastrophic, as I was able to splice the wires back together and wrap the wire and flexloom with electrical tape, but less than ideal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would also advise to be careful when you pull on the wiring at the drivers' side rear corner of the truck. The wiring is tucked up in there and you have to reach between the frame rail and the storage trunk (a tight squeeze). When I fished mine out, I pulled one taped section free, but it wasn't long enough. I pulled the 2nd taped section (apparently the wiring is bunched and taped in two places), and one of the sharp sheetmetal edges cut through the flexloom and one of the wires as the tape finally freed.

Not catastrophic, as I was able to splice the wires back together and wrap the wire and flexloom with electrical tape, but less than ideal.
Ok, thank you for the heads up

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just picked up a used 2006 RTL and it doesn't have the trailer wiring either. I didn't realize I had to spend that kind of money to add the harness - I was just figured I'd get the T harness and call it a day. What's the big difference? I need the 7 lug harness, not the 4 plug flat blade, but I don't have trailer brakes.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,595 Posts
If you're asking what the big difference is between a 3rd party cheapo harness and the more expensive Honda wiring harness:

1) the Honda harness isolates the truck electrics from the trailer electrics so that a failure of one won't affect the other.

2) we've had numerous reports of electrical issues here at the ROC which have finally been traced back to the installation of a 3rd party wiring harness. Some have had better luck than others using a 3rd party harness. It may well depend on whether or not you live in a dry climate vs a humid climate. Or not. Hard to say.

If you don't have a trailer hitch, you can get one like the Curt 13385 (a lot cheaper than the Honda receiver). Add the etrailer L-bracket and the Honda wiring harness and you're golden.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-18140.html

Make sure you order the right p/n harness for your 2006.

Trucks mfg prior to 8/24/05 do not include the reverse circuit, which could be an issue for you.

There are tons of threads here about hitch and harness installation. Ask away if you have questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts