Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a trailer hitch but the dealer wants $600 or so for the hitch, wiring assembly and installation. My question is are there any other sources for a hitch other than Honda?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hope to get a reply from Draw Tite as to when they will have a hitch ready for the Ridgeline.

I'll post as soon as I hear something.

Tiger

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Falcon said:
I need a trailer hitch but the dealer wants $600 or so for the hitch, wiring assembly and installation. My question is are there any other sources for a hitch other than Honda?
That's not a bad deal considering. If you buy it online at reduced prices it's going to be about $500 after shipping charges. $100 to put it on might be worth it if you're not comfortable monkeying around under the dash pulling & hooking wiring, relays, fuses up. Took me about 2-3 hours to install it myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts

The factory trailer hitch is a simple steel unit that is class III rated , BUT ,
the wiring harness is very different than the usual stuff and the necessary
connectors are NOT like the standard hitch company uses .

I think that even the "discount" price is a rip-off , but a necessary evil for
proper electrical configuration .

·
Registered
419 Posts
As of Friday, March 18th I had a electronic brake control installed and was very happy with the set-up as for now (haven't had a chance yet to use it though). But wanted it installed so when I need it, it is ready to go. If anyone needs any information, please feel free to contact me and I'll share what I know. Nicholas

·
Registered
536 Posts
Since shipping is so high, one option is to buy the hitch at the dealer and have an independent mechanic install it.

Bring the price list from the online stores with you and see if the dealer will match.

_W

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages under trailer hitches and save 50% over Honda for the same thing.:confused:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I looked around for months, gave up and went to the Honda dealer.

IMOP it was worth the $230 and LOOKS cleaner (shows less) then aftermarket ones................

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
vertrkr said:
That's not a bad deal considering. If you buy it online at reduced prices it's going to be about $500 after shipping charges. $100 to put it on might be worth it if you're not comfortable monkeying around under the dash pulling & hooking wiring, relays, fuses up. Took me about 2-3 hours to install it myself.
Bought my complete Honda towing kit last week (Friday) for $404 shipped and it arrived today.:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Forget paying big bucks for the Honda hitch. It's not even made by Honda. Go to www.hitchsource.com and do a search under Ridgeline. Excellent, all welded class III hitches for less than $150. They, buy the "hidden Hitch" electrical connector for about $40. A hitch is a hitch, but stick to all welded units. Website has great pictures on how it looks on the Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
17,039 Posts
Here is a photo of the U-Haul hitch. Notice that it sits back underneath the bumper. I want to say (but not sure) that I paid $230 for everything including arm and ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,039 Posts
I forgot to say this, but U-Haul pricing includes installation. I would suspect that "Trailer World" or similar places would also include installation as part of the pricing.

I think Honda is tremendously overpriced when it comes to trailering. Heck, my sales guy even told me to not buy the Honda hitch package as it's outrageously priced.

Come on Honda, at least make the pricing half-way competitive. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
k757 said:
I forgot to say this, but U-Haul pricing includes installation. I would suspect that "Trailer World" or similar places would also include installation as part of the pricing.

I think Honda is tremendously overpriced when it comes to trailering. Heck, my sales guy even told me to not buy the Honda hitch package as it's outrageously priced.

Come on Honda, at least make the pricing half-way competitive. :rolleyes:
Before I bought my Ridgeline, I wanted to ckeck around before paying the Dealer's price for the tow package. I found some listed on E-bay, but with the wiring kits they sold, they said to tap into the wiring inside the brake lights.
I called three different U-Haul locations in my area. The first location I called, (I know has been around for at least 20 years) Asked me what the heck a Ridgeline was. He said he found a listing after fumbling around in his book, But said it was not yet available. The other two locations didn't even know as much as the first guy. I had seen a hitch on a Ridgeline with a U-Haul sticker on it, so I knew they were available..but If they didn't even know Honda had a Truck out for a year I wasn't about to trust them to install a hitch for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts