Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not planning on towing at this point, but I wanted to install a hitch cover with brake light in the receiver. I bought one then I realized I did not know where the connector was located on the Gen2 Ridgeline. I crawled under the bed and found a connector but it doesn't look like the one on the light. First question, do I need some type of adapter to connect to the under body connector because it has several holes that look like they are closed or have inserts to protect from dirt, i'm guessing. Can you just plug into this or do you have to remove something to expose the connections. The light has only space for 2 and it did not fit no matter how I tried. I need educated on how to install this light on my truck. It said it would be easy as 1 2 3. The light pictured with the harness is the one I have.Thanks for any feed back

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am not planning on towing at this point, but I wanted to install a hitch cover with brake light in the receiver. I bought one then I realized I did not know where the connector was located on the Gen2 Ridgeline. I crawled under the bed and found a connector but it doesn't look like the one on the light. First question, do I need some type of adapter to connect to the under body connector because it has several holes that look like they are closed or have inserts to protect from dirt, i'm guessing. Can you just plug into this or do you have to remove something to expose the connections. The light has only space for 2 and it did not fit no matter how I tried. I need educated on how to install this light on my truck. It said it would be easy as 1 2 3. The light pictured with the harness is the one I have.Thanks for any feed back
You have to buy a plug in 7 pin adapter that your harness will plug into like this https://www.delcity.net/curt?id=Tow...p_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=COPXtM32rNMCFZOMaQod0PYPMQ

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Do you have an AWD RL? Or know if your RL is prewired or not for the 7 pin connector? If you are pre-wired, an adapter as mentioned by @Griz will work... else... you need to get wired, which from what I understand, the 2WD RTL and below trims are not.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Do you have an AWD RL? Or know if your RL is prewired or not for the 7 pin connector? If you are pre-wired, an adapter as mentioned by @Griz will work... else... you need to get wired, which from what I understand, the 2WD RTL and below trims are not.
I have the RTL AWD and it prewired.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have a RTL-T it appears to be pre wired I saw a connector under the bed
But is yours All Wheel Drive, or Front Wheel Drive? AWD comes with a 7-pin harness/plug. FWD does not, and you have to install the optional wiring harness. I think the parts from Honda are around $250, plus a fair bit of labor.

Reactions: silkiechicken

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Ridgeline. I bought it with the trailer hitch installed by Honda. It came with a 7-pin round lighting harness. I got around to using a trailer, and learned about the need for a 4-pin adapter. It still didn't work. Checked the fuse - looked good. Took it to Honda and they resolved the issue. After a preliminary check, the mechanic (through the service rep) asked that I take my boxes out of the rear interior so he (mechanic) can access the wiring under the floor panel - where he believed the problem was. Having emptied the interior, the mechanic resolved the issue. I asked the service rep what the issue was (you never see the mechanic where I go for service). The rep said the mechanic found something was not plugged in to the "control box". He couldn't be more specific (or maybe didn't want to). I got what I needed so I didn't press it. The 4-pin adapter works fine now that the original harness is working.
I mention this for anyone with looking to install a hitch wiring harness, or having one that failed - the "control box" might be an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, the FWD version does not have all of the wiring kit installed. You can purchase the kit online for less than $200. You can also download the very complete installation instructions. (You will need these.)

The labor is not small feat.

First there is the challenge of the rivnuts for the rear plug mount. There is an expensive tool from Honda that can be used to compress the rivnuts. Or you can go homebrew and use a bolt and a couple of nuts. Again, you can find info on this online, or even on this forum on how to do this.

Next is the challenge of removing the rear seats and a lot of associated interior trim work. The hardest part of this is getting the rear seat out. A key point with their removal is that after all the bolts holding them in place, then you have to lift the seats UPWARD to get them out of some mounting holes on the top edge.

Once you get to this point, the rest of the work is straightforward. Then of course comes the reverse the process to button it back up. Allow yourself 2-3 hours and have someone to help with doing the rear seat removal/installation steps. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts