Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to Hitch City and they say Curt is the only mfg that has a hitch for the Ridgeline and that there is no wiring available for 3 months as it has to come from china????

Can anyone give me some feedback on this, summer is here, need to tow my jetski man !?!?!?!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Buy the Honda hitch and harness. It fits perfect, looks great, and is available right now at H and A or your dealer. There has been alot of posts about after market hitchs and equipment. All are waiting for something. I've been towing for weeks. Snow mobiles to Northern NH in March and my boat since early May.

You're going to miss out on some good skiing to save a few bucks on a hitch?!

·
Registered
265 Posts
lineridgejohn said:
I was talking to Hitch City and they say Curt is the only mfg that has a hitch for the Ridgeline and that there is no wiring available for 3 months as it has to come from china????

Can anyone give me some feedback on this, summer is here, need to tow my jetski man !?!?!?!

Thanks
I have seen a hitch from Draw-Tite on ebay for the past few days.....Plug "ridgeline" into their search field and check it out......

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
steveberger,

Did you get an electric brake controller installed with your hitch?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
No. My boat is only a 17' Aluminum and the sled trailer is light as well. No brakes. There was an extra harness in the glove box after the install that I assume is for the brake controller if you get one.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Does Honda sell such a controller?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
zero said:
Does Honda sell such a controller?
Not sure. I wasn't looking for one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought mine from the local Draw-tite people and it fits like a glove, I did buy the factory harness from the H&A online guys and it tows well. Saved 300.00 over the dealer price. The whole thing cost...
Hitch 279.00
Harness 169.00
Labor for harness 70.00

Just my input.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
How did you attach the factory harness to the Draw-Tite hitch?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I talked to a draw-tite dealer. The hitch part number in PN75280 and should cost about $160 or less (not sure why someone paid $279). The part number for the wiring is PN18400 (some places will quote you PN18336 which isn't correct). It costs about $25 or less but isn't availble yet. I believe it plugs into the tail light circuit. This wiring harness is only a 4 wire harness so it won't work with a trailer that has it's own brake system. If you need that, the factory harness might be the way to go (I don't know if it can be attached to the draw-tite hitch or if it attaches to the Ridgeline frame). So if you're willing to install it yourself, it should cost you less than $200 (not including shipping). If you're like me and only use the hitch for a bike rack or towing a 4 wire utility trailer and could use $300-500 dollars for some other Ridgeline accessories then that's the way I'd go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Buy the factory harness..tell them your going to install it and that you'd like to knock some $$ off the price because that $169 is SUPPOSED to include installation!!!!!! I installed my harness comfortably in about an hour...ASK THE SERVICE DEPT. TO PRINT OFF THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS! There are NINE pages worth and they spell EVERYTHING out for you! If you can change your spark plugs, you can install this. I WILL tell you that my trailer lights are brighter than any other vehicle I have had..Honda did this right by utilizing a relay from the dash and not just tapping into the tailights. Yes that extra harness is for a brake controller, and no I don't know how much extra it is! Godd Luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Honda factory hitch sticks out 4 inches past the bumper which I do not like. Is draw-tite hitch flush or recessed from the bumper?

I assume there is no good reason for the hitch to be 4 inches past the bumper? I think it is a safety nuisance.

Can we get the wiring harness only without the hitch from Honda for the trailer brake? I know we can buy them separately, my question is will the harness work functionally with any hitch? Description of the harness says it is for trailer brake and battery recharge.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great. All the pictures I have seen shows the hitch sticking out and it is actually flush with the bumper. Thanks, Trevor.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
One thing to keep in mind that I've mentioned in one of the other dozen hitch threads. The converter, or T-connector, taps into one of the taillight circuits to send power to the trailer. This is the piece you are waiting for. However, using this converter, the lamp load from the trailer is sourced from one taillight circuit, not both, which overloads one taillight circuit. The factory harness uses a separate circuit and set of relays to provide the trailer hitch circuit it's own circuit. This is the right way to wire the trailer.

The aftermarket companies have black box circuits which do the same thing. Reese and Draw-Tite (same company) call this device a Modulite. It's another $50-$80 depending on the load you need to source, and it is not a plug-in installation.

You cannot compare pricing between the Honda hitch kit and aftermarket without including this device.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts