Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the other day I checked out the Sport. Great truck and definitely am considering it over the Tacoma. Today being Sunday I wanted to go look at both and not be bothered by a salesman. Looking at the Sport in detail, this is a FWD, I noticed the hitch is there, but the 7 pin outlet is not. I thought, well maybe that is something they install during the PDI. Out of curiosity I got to looking on the Honda Website and compare features. If I am interpreting this correctly, the FWD is just prewired and the AWD already has it. If this is correct, my question is, has anyone installed the 7 pin connector on the 2wd version, or anything for that matter, and how easily accessible are the wires? I won´t be towing more than 1500 lbs ever, so a FWD is plenty for me, but I need lights.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,434 Posts
Honda did the same thing with the first generation Ridgeline (Gen1); 2009-2014 lower trims had the hitch but no wiring. Installing the wiring harness for the Gen1 takes a little bit of work:

I've yet to see instruction for how to install such a harness on the 2017 Ridgeline, but it may be similar to the above.

If you tow under 3,500 lbs, you may just want to splice in a four-pin connector given you don't need to worry about trailer brakes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda did the same thing with the first generation Ridgeline (Gen1); 2009-2014 lower trims had the hitch but no wiring. Installing the wiring harness for the Gen1 takes a little bit of work:

I've yet to see instruction for how to install such a harness on the 2017 Ridgeline, but it may be similar to the above.

If you tow under 3,500 lbs, you may just want to splice in a four-pin connector given you don't need to worry about trailer brakes.
Thanks for the info. I think I will just do the 4 flat connector.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the FWD RTL-T. Dealer said that the wiring harness only comes standard on the AWD models. I pointed out that their website says "Every Ridgeline features a standard integrated tow hitch with 7-pin connector..." The GM of my dealer said I could have a 20% discount and free installation. So, I would have to pay $180 for a harness that I could buy myself for a fraction of that cost, but is stated as standard equipment on Honda's website.

I'm not too happy right now.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
I bought the FWD RTL-T. Dealer said that the wiring harness only comes standard on the AWD models. I pointed out that their website says "Every Ridgeline features a standard integrated tow hitch with 7-pin connector..." The GM of my dealer said I could have a 20% discount and free installation. So, I would have to pay $180 for a harness that I could buy myself for a fraction of that cost, but is stated as standard equipment on Honda's website.

I read that it was standard equipment on all AWD models, not FWD models: http://hondanews.com/releases/d7a2667d-4c87-41a7-8515-44e06ef9edc8/download_all

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
Legal requirements for trailer brakes vary by state and are as low as 1,000 lbs. Honda recommends trailer brakes when towing more than 1,000 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Legal requirements for trailer brakes vary by state and are as low as 1,000 lbs. Honda recommends trailer brakes when towing more than 1,000 lbs.
I'm aware, my "under 3,500 lbs" is based on personal experience. But I'm an experience tower, so that is probably not something I should be recommending to everyone.

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
I'm aware, my "under 3,500 lbs" is based on personal experience. But I'm an experience tower, so that is probably not something I should be recommending to everyone.
I see. The first and last thing I towed was a 4x8 U-Haul trailer with a 4-cylinder, manual-shift Ford Ranger about 20 years ago. The truck's anemic engine was screaming, acceleration was flat-out dangerous, and it barely made it to 60 MPH. That was the most under-powered vehicle I've ever owned. Ironically, it was equipped with an optional high-capacity cooling system for towing duty. Even though there were no codes stored or warning lights illuminated, I'd swear that truck had a problem since it was new. The next vehicle I owned after that was a Dodge Neon, which felt like a Lamborghini compared to the Ranger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It does say it on the main page, but if you go to specs it shows the FWD pre wired. It also says 5,000 lb towing, but we all know that is only AWD also. The wording is very misleading and someone should correct that. As I am reading it I could get a FWD model that should have the connector and be able to tow 5,000 lbs with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
It does say it on the main page, but if you go to specs it shows the FWD pre wired. It also says 5,000 lb towing, but we all know that is only AWD also. The wording is very misleading and someone should correct that. As I am reading it I could get a FWD model that should have the connector and be able to tow 5,000 lbs with it.
If you click on he asterisk in the statement, it says that the FWD is rated for 3500lbs. But it clearly states that EVERY Ridgeline comes with a 7 pin connector.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts