• No

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
•2017 RTL-E • Curt Echo Brake Controller • 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer • 4500-ish Gross Trailer Weight • ATL to SFO • 2,500 miles•

From the forums, people seem to lean either way regarding WDH, especially since Honda discourages them. Does anyone have a passionate opinion on this?

The discussions around vehicle sway are less clear and hopefully, someone can help clear the confusion. Has anyone experienced vehicle sway, installed the bars, and the issue was minimized? If so, which one has worked out for you? I know LOTS of people have never had sway. Assuming setup/driving/etc is correct, can the reason for why there's minimal sway be attributed to Honda's Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)/Electronic Stability Control (ESC)? Would this also control the trailer brakes? If so, how much of a difference would the sway bars make? I'm also getting the Echo manual override button so I don't have to mess with my phone.

I'm VERY new to towing and worried about encountering sway without having enough experience to quickly react...so trying to prevent it from happening in the first place, but I also want to be reasonable. I would appreciate any tips, comments, suggestions, etc. Thanks in advance everyone!

PS - tips on how to "fix" sway in the moment? Slow down, apply trailer brakes... anything else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
•2017 RTL-E • Curt Echo Brake Controller • 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer • 4500-ish Gross Trailer Weight • ATL to SFO • 2,500 miles•

From the forums, people seem to lean either way regarding WDH, especially since Honda discourages them. Does anyone have a passionate opinion on this?

The discussions around vehicle sway are less clear and hopefully, someone can help clear the confusion. Has anyone experienced vehicle sway, installed the bars, and the issue was minimized? If so, which one has worked out for you? I know LOTS of people have never had sway. Assuming setup/driving/etc is correct, can the reason for why there's minimal sway be attributed to Honda's Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)/Electronic Stability Control (ESC)? Would this also control the trailer brakes? If so, how much of a difference would the sway bars make? I'm also getting the Echo manual override button so I don't have to mess with my phone.

I'm VERY new to towing and worried about encountering sway without having enough experience to quickly react...so trying to prevent it from happening in the first place, but I also want to be reasonable. I would appreciate any tips, comments, suggestions, etc. Thanks in advance everyone!

PS - tips on how to "fix" sway in the moment? Slow down, apply trailer brakes... anything else?

trailer hitch weight is better if 10 to 15% of trailer weight. There are destructive dynamic forces involved; proceed with knowledge

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
I think the key is proper loading of the trailer and keep within the load limits (including tongue wt) of your truck. I think the main drawback of a LDH is if you improperly adjust it and have too little weight on the front of the truck, you can have handling problems.

Remember that you have decreased limits if you anticipate towing in higher altitudes too.... something like 2% per thousand feet. So at 5000 ft (Denver), you're down 10%. There are also speed limits in the towing section too... 62mph ... or 55 mph if towing a camper style trailer.

I suggest you study the towing section of your OM thoroughly and hope you have a pleasant towing experience!

·
Registered
6 Posts

In early December, I completed a trip in my 2019 RTL-E from Bend Oregon to Jacksonville Florida towing a 16 foot cargo trailer filled with tools and furniture. Prior to leaving I installed a Tekonsha trailer brake controller. I was right at the 5000 lb limit. I took a southern route to avoid snow conditions and only encountered snow in Albuquerque. What I found was that the lane and road departure mitigation systems needed to be turned off. The constant correcting of these systems during normal driving is barely noticeable, but in snowy or windy conditions while towing a large trailer, they are magnified to the point of being a little scary. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I see this thread started out pertaining to Gen2 RL's. Do all the advice/pointers equally apply to the Gen1 RL's, other than the advanced lane departure technology of course? I'm about to become a camper trailer towing person for the first time in my aged life and the camper dealer is recommending a Camco ReCurve R3 weight-distributing hitch setup. Cost about $500 installed. Is it not really needed ? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts
I see this thread started out pertaining to Gen2 RL's. Do all the advice/pointers equally apply to the Gen1 RL's, other than the advanced lane departure technology of course? I'm about to become a camper trailer towing person for the first time in my aged life and the camper dealer is recommending a Camco ReCurve R3 weight-distributing hitch setup. Cost about $500 installed. Is it not really needed ? Thanks
@McChizzle would be a good resource to answer that. Let's see if he shows up. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.