Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the club.
I have a 2010 ridgeline and the connector for the trailer wiring is removed. I'm looking to wire a new 7pin connector for my pop-up. I don't have any power to the wire ends to follow what they are. I found some fuses but not certain which ones are needed. Is there a diagram of the honda color code for the wires?
Looking forward to resolving this so I can take my kids camping.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,042 Posts
Welcome to the ROC.

That's an interesting scenario. Give us some more info on your Ridge such as trim level, any mods you've done to it or know of, etc.

Is the hitch wiring OEM or is it a 3rd party harness? Can you tell?

What's the history of your 2010? Did you buy it used?

If you have a 3rd party harness, my best advice is to get the proper OEM hitch wiring harness from Honda and install it on your Ridge. It is engineered to separate the trailer wiring from the truck wiring such that a failure of one won't affect the other.

Here's a thread that may be of help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, new to the club.
I have a 2010 ridgeline and the connector for the trailer wiring is removed. I'm looking to wire a new 7pin connector for my pop-up. I don't have any power to the wire ends to follow what they are. I found some fuses but not certain which ones are needed. Is there a diagram of the honda color code for the wires?
Looking forward to resolving this so I can take my kids camping.
Thanks
Welcome to the ROC.

That's an interesting scenario. Give us some more info on your Ridge such as trim level, any mods you've done to it or know of, etc.

Is the hitch wiring OEM or is it a 3rd party harness? Can you tell?

What's the history of your 2010? Did you buy it used?

If you have a 3rd party harness, my best advice is to get the proper OEM hitch wiring harness from Honda and install it on your Ridge. It is engineered to separate the trailer wiring from the truck wiring such that a failure of one won't affect the other.

Here's a thread that may be of help.

Thank you
This is all I have to start with.....the pic is underneath drivers side rear bumper.
It is mine, it is a basic model,1st owner. Loaned it to my brother for a while, he doesn't know what happened......??
I never needed to tow before. Just got my first Pop-up.....😁
I believe it is all factory installed. Looks like the connector was removed so I can't even buy the correct harness connector. I thought there would be a semi easy way to re-connect.
15788550564708692101412905453761.jpg

·
Super Moderator
23,042 Posts
Assuming by basic model, you mean the RT trim level. That did not come with the hitch wiring harness, but did come with a hitch. (one of those Honda mysteries). Often, owners install 3rd party wire taps for trailer wiring but in our experience here, that quite often leads to electrical issues down the road. Consequently, we strongly suggest you use the proper OEM tow wiring harness which includes all the relays, etc needed to properly wire the truck and trailer.

What you're showing a picture of puzzles me. It certainly doesn't look like it would come from the factory with those wire nuts. Did you brother have your truck long enough to do mods on it? I have no idea what has been done here.

I suspect you will need to take it to a shop and have the proper wiring harness installed and have that wiring issue checked out. This may be an expensive fix as trouble shooting something like that might take a lot of time.

Installed mine about 8 years ago so I don't remember much about the process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming by basic model, you mean the RT trim level. That did not come with the hitch wiring harness, but did come with a hitch. (one of those Honda mysteries). Often, owners install 3rd party wire taps for trailer wiring but in our experience here, that quite often leads to electrical issues down the road. Consequently, we strongly suggest you use the proper OEM tow wiring harness which includes all the relays, etc needed to properly wire the truck and trailer.

What you're showing a picture of puzzles me. It certainly doesn't look like it would come from the factory with those wire nuts. Did you brother have your truck long enough to do mods on it? I have no idea what has been done here.

I suspect you will need to take it to a shop and have the proper wiring harness installed and have that wiring issue checked out. This may be an expensive fix as trouble shooting something like that might take a lot of time.

Installed mine about 8 years ago so I don't remember much about the process.
View attachment 398831
I put the wire nuts on so the exposed wires wouldn't touch anything. It was just bare wires....that's why I think the connector was removed.....I was told that the wires were installed at the factory and you needed to buy a Honda adapter to connect to. It looks like the grey one in your pic, I think....
Thanks for your help,
I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Right Turn Green
Left Turn Yellow
Ground White
Tail / Marker Brown
Brake Blue
Battery Red (or Black)
Back Up Purple

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
23,042 Posts
I'm baffled why anyone would remove that factory connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check with a local Honda parts or this URL for the connector. Take a photo into the parts department so that they know what you need.

MLogan
2018 RTL-T
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,391 Posts
@McMatt, the two Hopkins part numbers I reference in this post would be one way to extend your 'cut harness' and complete the 'reconstruction' of your trailer socket (the Hopkins 40985 harness will splice directly to your cut-ends and then connect to the Hopkins 40975 socket; this will not mate to the OE socket if yours is still intact):

Just an option (among many) for your consideration.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get this frustrating situation worked-out :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@McMatt, the two Hopkins part numbers I reference in this post would be one way to extend your 'cut harness' and complete the 'reconstruction' of your trailer socket (the Hopkins 40985 harness will splice directly to your cut-ends and then connect to the Hopkins 40975 socket; this will not mate to the OE socket if yours is still intact):

Thank you Logan
Check with a local Honda parts or this URL for the connector. Take a photo into the parts department so that they know what you need.

MLogan
2018 RTL-T
Smyrna, TN
I will
Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I hope so, I've got a trip in two weekends.
Thank you CentexG2

·
Super Moderator
23,042 Posts
I hope so, I've got a trip in two weekends.
Thank you CentexG2
Do you know if you have the wiring harness installed? Honda does the pre-wiring, but doesn't complete the job unless you get certain trim levels and above. If you have an RT, it will not have the complete wiring harness you need for your towing job coming up.

I believe post #3 of the thread I linked above has a link to the installation instructions for the harness you will need. The P/N is also listed there so you know what to buy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts