Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two month old Ridgeline occasionally has a great deal of trouble shifting out of third gear after the truck has completely leveled off upon going up a medium incline on the expressway (going about 60 to 65mph). In fact, I have to shift it up to Neutral for a second and back down to Drive in order to get it to finally shift into a higher gear. I guess it has something to do with Honda's (not so) Smart Grade Logic system. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
254 Posts
What was the speed, temperature and grade condition when you experienced this issue? What RPM was the engine running? What was the load condition of the truck? Finally, was there a head wind?

If it was running on a severe grade at that speed it is possible it could stay in 3rd gear. I would sooner expect it was in 4th gear based on your description. If it was left on its own, it should have eventually tried to shift to 5th gear once the grade conditions warranted it.

Nest time try setting the cruise control and let the ECM do its thing. See what gear it chooses. It is unlikely it is in 3rd gear unless you are pulling a trailer up a grade or running at higher speeds (+70mph) with a trailer and a head wind.
K

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is it posible that you may have depressed the 3rd gear hold button when you put the car in gear? Putting the car in neutral and back to drive will clear that command as well. It is easy to do if you have your thumb on the end of the shifter when putting it in drive. Your button may be overly senseitve, it will light up the orange 3rd lock light on to panel though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
thats what he's doing. turn off the button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The same thing happens to my Ridgeline tranny also. The button on the shifter hasn't been pressed as the indicator light is not on. The transmission eventually upshifts but it should of sooner.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
One has to remember that this is a midsized truck that's powered by a V6 that makes power at higher rpm's than a lumbering American V8. The choices here are:

1) Let the tranny hunt back and forth between gears
2) Upshift early and lug the motor
3) Hold the lower gear until conditions change

I prefer what Honda has done. It works really well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
On my way home every night, there is a portion of Hwy 80 ( Auburn, CA 95603 ) that is all grade. I can't stay in over drive becasue RPM's just can't keep up, so, I will turn off overdrive and let it run at a high rpm once I'm up the hill.

You have to sometimes manually press the button to keep those rpm's up, then kick into overdrive once you've made it up a certain grade

My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I agree with Shovelhd. I drive 84 east once a week on cruise control. It is uphill most of the way from Hartford. The tranny keeps up very well and smoothly with the set point (74 mph), while everyone else is lugging behind!! :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Forgive me I was wrong about the 3rd hold button, tried it on the way home last night, going to neutral and back does not take it out of 3rd hold.

I have been wrong before, my wife reminds me often.

L

·
0 Posts
STEVE FROST said:
Forgive me I was wrong about the 3rd hold button, tried it on the way home last night, going to neutral and back does not take it out of 3rd hold.

I have been wrong before, my wife reminds me often.

Ahhhh..its ok STEVE. We still love ya even if we now know you're not perfect. I was beginning to wonder if you lived in a Walgreens!! ;) :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
Kentucky Ridgeliner said:
My two month old Ridgeline occasionally has a great deal of trouble shifting out of third gear after the truck has completely leveled off upon going up a medium incline on the expressway (going about 60 to 65mph). In fact, I have to shift it up to Neutral for a second and back down to Drive in order to get it to finally shift into a higher gear. I guess it has something to do with Honda's (not so) Smart Grade Logic system. Does anyone else have this problem?
Welcome to the ROC family Ken!!!! We're glad you're here.
Congratulations and enjoy the ride!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts