Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone whom owns a G2?
No hazardous guesses!

·
Registered
328 Posts
It was a joke, as there is only one option for Honda automatics.

Also, what's with people so concerned about the fluids on a vehicle they don't own yet? Do people hedge their fluids before buying a car these days? Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
It was a joke, as there is only one option for Honda automatics.

Also, what's with people so concerned about the fluids on a vehicle they don't own yet? Do people hedge their fluids before buying a car these days? Am I missing something?
Rich is probably wondering if his stash of DW-1 will still work with a new G2 if he decides to buy!

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
Would like to know what is the trans fluid for
the G2 RL?
Honda ATF DW-1

Seeing Honda DW-1 is the only ATF available......
There are five Honda transmission fluids including two ATFs:

MTF for manual transmissions
CVT for Civic Hybrid, CRZ, Civic GX & HX, Insight
HCF2 for 2nd-generation CVTs in the Fit, HR-V, Civic, Accord
ATF DW-1 (replaced Z1)
ATF Type 3.1 for 2016 Pilot Touring & Elite*

* This fluid currently retails for $48.52 per quart!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Honda ATF DW-1

ATF DW-1 (replaced Z1)

Ah, I forgot all about the German 9 speed. Should've known it'd have its own fancy stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honda ATF DW-1

ATF DW-1 (replaced Z1)

Congrats, I didn't say CVT or MTF. And type 3.1 isn't available yet at my dealer. But you win for roasting me, or whatever.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You ZRoger.
Yes Speed I need to see what still can be used from
my stash.I made the mistake of driving a G2.
And I would like to get one before Honda changes
the trans to add more gears.
Joe was right about the stiffer ride!
Maguffin I needed a specific answer since fluids are being
upgraded all the time.

·
Administrator
16,008 Posts
I made the mistake of driving a G2.
And I would like to get one before Honda changes
the trans to add more gears.
It's surprising to me just how different the powertrains sound, feel, and perform between the G1 and G2 despite both having J35 engines and the latter having only one more gear. Significant improvements in acceleration, NVH, and efficiency were made. The G2's shifts are faster, yet smoother. I also prefer the quieter tuning of the G2 compared to the "powerful" sound that was intentionally tuned into the G1, but I respect that some people like to hear their engines. Personally, I'll be glad when everything is driven by electric motors and there is almost no powertrain noise all - just gobs of silent torque at all speeds. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used the Z1 then DW-1 up to 100,000 miles on my 06 Accord 4 cyl for drain and fills about every 2nd or 3rd oil change. After 100k I got tired of the high prices for the Honda fluids and started using the Castrol Trasmax Import which meets the Honda specs. 195,000 miles now and all is good and can't tell any difference at all in shift quality between the Honda and Castrol ATF.

I am a little hesitant to use the Castrol in a brand new, nearly $40k vehicle... decisions, decisions...$2.47 a quart though is tempting...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00826N5JW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=TBPXO180XBNZ&coliid=I3U3ZHDFU7O8Z1&psc=1

I believe regular drain and fills of the ATF is the key to a long trouble free life from the transmission. Want to see if the 06 Accord can make it to 300k plus with no major motor or transmission problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took the engine cover off this morning to install my VCMuzzler and was snooping around under the hood with a flashlight looking at the top of the transmission for the fill plug. I saw a blue/green metal plug towards the rear of the transmission buried under hoses and wiring to the point that it is very difficult to access. If that is the fill plug, I do not look forward to fluid changes. It is a lot more difficult to access then on the K24 vehicles.

I did see something else that piqued my interest. Between the transmission coolant lines from the radiator to transmission, it looks like there is an inline filter. It looks very similar to the one in this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-25430-PLR-003-Transmission-Filter/dp/B00GI9NP0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471102351&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+transmission+filter

I have changed this filter on my Accord 3 times over 195,000 miles. I hope my eyes do not deceive me and they have in fact added an inline filter to the G2 Ridgeline.

Anyone else notice this or have any further info?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's surprising to me just how different the powertrains sound, feel, and perform between the G1 and G2 despite both having J35 engines and the latter having only one more gear. Significant improvements in acceleration, NVH, and efficiency were made. The G2's shifts are faster, yet smoother. I also prefer the quieter tuning of the G2 compared to the "powerful" sound that was intentionally tuned into the G1, but I respect that some people like to hear their engines. Personally, I'll be glad when everything is driven by electric motors and there is almost no powertrain noise all - just gobs of silent torque at all speeds. :)
Yes the G2 was very quiet compared to my G1.
Sometimes the road noise can be deafening.
The acceleration and handling are so much better.
And I lived with an F150 for 3 months when Honda had my RL
and the G1 felt great to drive again.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Sometimes the road noise can be deafening.
I truly wonder if a set of Michelin Premier LTX would be quieter than the OE Firestones.....that is the one thing I notice, the tire noise and some transferred vibration from the tires into the vehicle on rougher surfaces...much more so than my sedan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts