Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my RL and my trans stick level is reading past hot when checked on cold but it shifts fine,holds overdrive well and still looks new. I guess do the drain and replace with the 3.3 quarts? Searched on the bar didnt find anything. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not sure if still true , but i was told if overfilled it may foam and draw air and possibly overheat..not sure how far or how hard you have to run to have this happen though

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Are you checking the level within 60-90 seconds *after* shutdown on a level grade?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Speed, and that is after bringing the fluid up to temp. Also I believe it's checked in Park, not neutral, correct? I'm not able to get to my FSM, but I can update in the morning.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So I bought my RL and my trans stick level is reading past hot when checked on cold but it shifts fine,holds overdrive well and still looks new. I guess do the drain and replace with the 3.3 quarts? Searched on the bar didnt find anything. Thanks guys..
This is normal. Both of my Honda automatics (2009 Ridgeline, 2005 MDX) read about 1/8" above the full line when cold. You're supposed to check the fluid hot, and between 60 and 90 seconds after shutting the engine OFF. At this point, your fluid level should read correct. I think over time, more fluid eventually drains back to the sump and creates the "over full" condition.

My Ridgeline takes about 4 quarts on a regular drain/fill. The best way to figure out how much to put in is to simply measure what comes out (after you verify that it's got the correct amount of fluid).

If yours is just barely above the full line when cold, I think you're good.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
While the following was written prior to the change from ATF Z1 to DW-1, I am not aware of any change to the fluid level checking procedure for DW-1.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I checked it cold before I went anywhere. I'll check it after I drive home this weekend. Its roughly 15 miles so should be warm by then. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks everyone. I checked it cold before I went anywhere. I'll check it after I drive home this weekend. Its roughly 15 miles so should be warm by then. Thanks again.
.... and don't forget to "follow procedure" as well (as Speedlever noted above). This is not like your typical Auto Trannys of the past with regard to checking fluid levels.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.... and don't forget to "follow procedure" as well (as Speedlever noted above). This is not like your typical Auto Trannys of the past with regard to checking fluid levels.
Roger that, Thanks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks Speedlever for sharing.

How much fluid do you guys think it takes to go from the C level point on the dip stick to the B level on the dip stick?

While the following was written prior to the change from ATF Z1 to DW-1, I am not aware of any change to the fluid level checking procedure for DW-1.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
I wouldn't add more than 4 oz without checking the level again. It's certainly not a quart between those 2 marks.

What I find is that a 3.5 quart refill after a drain seems to put my RL pretty much in the middle of those two marks. So I call it done at that point. It is finicky to find the right amount to add, or so it seems to me. But 3.5 qts seem to be working well for me in both the Pilot and the RL.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wow, 4ozs. is not a lot. I would not have guessed so little to start with. Agree, I did not think it was a quart either between the marks. Thanks Speed.

I wouldn't add more than 4 oz without checking the level again. It's certainly not a quart between those 2 marks.

What I find is that a 3.5 quart refill after a drain seems to put my RL pretty much in the middle of those two marks. So I call it done at that point. It is finicky to find the right amount to add, or so it seems to me. But 3.5 qts seem to be working well for me in both the Pilot and the RL.

·
Super Moderator
22,586 Posts
Worst case if you overfill, crack the drain until it drips enough out to get back to the full mark. Or suck it out the dipstick tube if you have a vacuum source.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks Speed,

I would have to use the drip method :act006:

Worst case if you overfill, crack the drain until it drips enough out to get back to the full mark. Or suck it out the dipstick tube if you have a vacuum source.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts