Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the ridge to get front cv joints replaced. 2006 truck, under warranty from car log. Anyway, front axles got replaced and the problem got major worse. The mechanic said the axles were fine, the problem was in the transfer case. So my question is does a tc going bad sound like cvj going bad?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Did they use aftermarket axles? Pretty simple, they "fixed" a problem but actually made it worse. The most likely culprit is the new work and or parts they chose to use. . .

Perhaps the mechanic really didn't mean the "Transfer Case"? Why would replacing the CV's make a true transfer case issue worse?? Transfer case is for transmitting power to the rear axles via the rear driveshaft. Anything is possible but I have yet to hear of Ridgeline transfer case issue. If the fluid was unchanged for 200k miles then maybe. Would it sound like a bad CV? Probably not but who knows?

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
The Ridgeline's "transfer case" is nothing more than a simple, right-angle gear drive. Unlike "real" transfer cases, it's a passive device that does contain any clutches, chains, actuators or mechanical, hydraulic, or pneumatic control devices. I've never heard of a transfer case failure on a Ridgeline even when neglected - it's such a simple device that does nothing more than change the direction of power flow from the transmission to the propeller shaft at all times. I can only envision two failure modes: 1) Bearing failure that results in a constant squeal or growl while in motion preceding total failure or 2) broken gear teeth resulting in a shatter gear, shaft, or case resulting in total failure. I suppose in extreme cases the gear teeth could wear so bad that the gears would occasionally skip causing a popping noise, but it would be a much faster noise because the gears in the transfer case turn much faster than the axles.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree. Replacing halfshafts to fix something that gets much worse after the work does not point a person to the transfer case. It sort of sounds to me like the shop isn’t familiar with how the Ridgeline’s AWD system works, so they’re maybe thinking of a noise they’d hear on standard American 4WD pickups, and mistakenly thinking the Ridgeline has those parts, too.

I suppose there’s some possibility that the u-joint(s) in the driveline going to the rear end is bad, but as I recall that is also a super-low-incidence failure on the Ridge’. IOW, possible, but very unusual.

·
Super Moderator
22,844 Posts
What problems were exacerbated by the axle change?

Anything like this?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
During my timing belt "evolution" it was discovered that I had a right axle boot leaking. I told them it was new axle time and they wanted to know aftermarket or OEM. I said, "No contest, OEM". It was a good choice as it is working perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts