Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed the transmission on my 2019 RTL-E AWD seems to try to not shift down soon enough when I slow to turn onto another street. It will sort of bog, then shift to a lower gear. Then speed up and go back to the higher gear. This is occurring around 15 to 20 MPH. For example when I turn from the highway onto the interstate on ramp. If I drive more aggressively this does not happen. If I drive with the Econ button on it is much better. But driving the way I want, somewhat gentle with the Econ off the transmission seems to get "confused" when I slow down for a turn then accelerate back up to speed.
I have not taken it to the dealer.
Does anyone else have this behavior?

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
502 Posts
I have a 2019 also...when there is one area of my neighborhood when i'm leaving that i feel sort of a hard downshift, but i don't think its a problem...i think its just the truck trying to be smart...by sensing that you are not accelerating and it will downshift... Ive only felt it in that particular corner, and its normally about 18mph or so...

(Im not feeling a bog with downshift and upshift...as im approaching my stop in a corner, it just noticed the downshift...im guessing at 18mph, its dropping from 2nd to 1st)

Reason i don't think it's a problem is that if i am going through the same corner at the same speed but giving the truck just a little gas it wont do it, guessing its not trying to help me slow down?? for a better description...

Other than in that one corner, the transmission is smooth as glass...I think its just the right speed and right scenario that is causing it to downshift, possibly on the upper end of its range?? But i don't know how much the Ridgeline is designed to do this... sort of a brake assist by downshifting when no acceleration is sensed.

When I first bought mine, I thought the brakes were sticking (truck would not move when backing uphill from a stop for a few seconds...) until I read through the manual and realized its a hill brake assist feature.....Sometimes vehicles are a little too smart.

My F150 did sorta the same thing...it just has to be at the right speed, etc...
If you happen to get it checked out and find out different, please report back...

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
If you're talking about giving it gas out of a turn and it bogs down and then picks back up, it seems to be a Honda characteristic. It's been mentioned before. You could simulate the same conditions just slowing down and accelerating with the same speed but with no turns involved. If you don't get the same behavior, it must be the computer taking the turn into account.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
582 Posts
If you're talking about giving it gas out of a turn and it bogs down and then picks back up, it seems to be a Honda characteristic. It's been mentioned before. You could simulate the same conditions just slowing down and accelerating with the same speed but with no turns involved. If you don't get the same behavior, it must be the computer taking the turn into account.
Mine does the same thing if the turn and rate I step on the gas is just right. It’s most noticeable when you pull out into traffic and need to step on the gas quickly due to traffic. It’s a very noticeable bog. It’s only happened once after installing the Sprint Booster but was greatly reduced. It was accelerating, just at a slower rate than expected.

Reactions: YetiXing
1 - 4 of 4 Posts