Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Looked through some forums and did some research, but seem to having some issues finding out something. I have recently purchased a 2006 honda ridgeline. Shortly after I got the dreaded P0741 code and looks like my Transmission is going. It's been flushed 3 times (following the Honda guidelines) and after a week there is enough metal shavings back to pretty much confirm. It's still shifting ok and literally just drove it 300 miles from Ohio > Maryland. After a while of driving the A/T Temp light came on as well. Making me see that this is the beginning of the end for the transmission.

SO! I was looking for a used transmission and found a few (With warranties). My big question is .. I see a few places offering a 07-08 transmission. Although, I thought the 06-08 Ridgelines are all the same model? Am I wrong? Would a 07-08 transmission fit in an 06? Can't seem to find anything stating otherwise. Just seems odd that I'm finding so many postings for a 07-08 transmission compatibility.

Any info on this would be appreciated! Because I found an 07 transmission for a great price with 60k less miles than mine has.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, this is what I see: ALL of the years from 2009-2014 reflect the same P/N (20021-RSF-A80 for the complete transmission assembly); BUT each of the 3 preceeding years (2006, 2007, 2008) reflect a different p/n, albeit just the last 2 digits.
So they APPEAR to be different, but to what degree I don't know... could just be a minor change of some kind that is completely interchangeable.... or not. Here's how they line up:
2006 - 20021-RJF-T00
2007 - 20021-RJF-T10
2008 - 20021-RJF-T14

You're gonna have to do more research to understand for sure if there are any issues here. To tell you the truth, it's usually the good salvage yards that know all of the intricacies of interchangeability. You might try there? Unless of course you can find a RL transmission expert to clue you in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the info. You've already helped a good bit! I will call around tomorrow and ask at some local transmission shops. Will have to look for a local salvage yard. At least that will give me a good idea to start. I can't imagine too much being different, but want to be safe > sorry. I was just looking at 2008 transmissions because of lower miles and also any small kinks that can be worked out would've been on the later years. But still can't imagine the size or overall functionality being *that* much different. At least now I know the actual p/n are different. Thank you very much for a good starting point!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Don't forget to get a quote to have your completely rebuilt; at least to have for comparison. Many times that can be the best way to go.... depending on your local shops' reliability & their pricing. Also, try just calling one of the larger Salvage companies (get Phone# via google or YP).... they should be able to get you info a lot quicker than finding an actual tranny.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
I've always had the understanding that the 06-08 trannies are interchangeable. The part numbers being different may only be simply because a different source was used for certain parts. The part may be the same, just made/cast at a different location. It would likely be best to just have yours rebuilt as then you know that the internals are new. Getting a junkyard transmission is a crap shoot being that you have no idea how that transmission was maintained. Judging by the failure in your new-to-you '06, I'd imagine the original owner(s) didn't know how to maintain a Honda transmission either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, That is my worry. I've seen a couple places locally that offer a 6 month / 6000 mile warranty on a "used" transmission. I thought about those. I would assume that if something major was going to go wrong it would in the first few months. Just picked my ridgeline up from Honda and they are quoting me almost $6000. Went to another local shop and they quoted me $5600. I might have to look more into finding someone that rebuilds transmissions. Still have a hard time believing it's the transmission failing since I see/feel 0 signs of a failing transmission. Just drove 300 miles with no issue before all this. Drove it around town for another 35-40 today with no shifting issues. Really wish I knew someone locally that knew their stuff! Everyone is trying to throw a $4000+ transmission in my face + labor.. No one has even mentioned a rebuild. I have at the last shop but they said they didn't know anyone who rebuilds (Could also be because he wants the business). Anyway, time to do more research!

Also, I agree. I thought about calling another honda service center or 3 and asking them all if they know about the 06-08 compatibility. Just doesn't make sense to mass produce the same engine/body/etc but yet change the transmission after one year of production? Anyway, thanks again for more advice. Always appreciated!

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
The chances that your transmission is actually going bad are pretty low. Do you have any records of the maintenance before you bought it? It could be something as silly as a faulty 3rd or 4th gear clutch solenoid. If they're gummed up from the neglect of the transmission fluid, it would throw that code. Also, if the fluid was neglected, you'd get metal shavings on the drain plug for several changes of the fluid. Once the plug is "full", it won't properly catch the shavings anymore. If you clean the plug and change the fluid, those shavings will then be captured by the plug. If I were you, I would do a drain and fill on the fluid one more time and check the amount of shavings on the plug. If it's a gray, slimy substance, you're ok. If there are larger chunks of metal, that's not good. Let me say it again - there is more than a good chance that you do NOT need a new tranny.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Metal shavings repeatedly from any transmission no matter who the manufacturer is is not a good thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks once again for the advice. I'm taking it to a friend that does work on transmissions to get a 2nd opinion. I agree that it seems less likely it is the transmission when no signs are really there. I'll have to get the car fax and information again. Looks like the last owner kept good records, but nothing before 100k miles (now at 145k). So tracking that down might be difficult to impossible. The mechanic at Honda did say for the age it is in great shape and looks like it had been very well taken care of minus a few odds and ends.

That code does make me wonder though. If worse comes to worse I can get it rebuilt at aamco in town. They seem to offer the best price (vs a used transmission) and a good rep locally. At least then I would know it's in great shape going forward, but I hope that is the worse case scenario. I'll keep adding anything here I find along the way. My friend is looking at it Monday / Tuesday.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks once again for the advice. I'm taking it to a friend that does work on transmissions to get a 2nd opinion. I agree that it seems less likely it is the transmission when no signs are really there. I'll have to get the car fax and information again. Looks like the last owner kept good records, but nothing before 100k miles (now at 145k). So tracking that down might be difficult to impossible. The mechanic at Honda did say for the age it is in great shape and looks like it had been very well taken care of minus a few odds and ends.

That code does make me wonder though. If worse comes to worse I can get it rebuilt at aamco in town. They seem to offer the best price (vs a used transmission) and a good rep locally. At least then I would know it's in great shape going forward, but I hope that is the worse case scenario. I'll keep adding anything here I find along the way. My friend is looking at it Monday / Tuesday.

Thanks again all!
Hey bud, wondering if I'm lucky enough to have you respond with what ended up happening with your transmission? I, too, just purchased a 2006 Ridgeline and, of course, P0741 pops up a couple days after I buy it. Mine, like yours, isn't really showing any signs of transmission issues. I'm going to do my first transmission fluid replacement today and see how the plug is. The guy who owned it before was likely a chump who didn't do much maintenance. He put some ridiculous K&N air filter on the truck and at some point had it repossessed. Everywhere I read it seems the transmission failing is very unlikely, even at my 197,000 miles. Nevertheless, I've read a bunch of threads on this code but don't think I've seen one person specifically say X worked for them.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Hey bud, wondering if I'm lucky enough to have you respond with what ended up happening with your transmission? I, too, just purchased a 2006 Ridgeline and, of course, P0741 pops up a couple days after I buy it. Mine, like yours, isn't really showing any signs of transmission issues. I'm going to do my first transmission fluid replacement today and see how the plug is. The guy who owned it before was likely a chump who didn't do much maintenance. He put some ridiculous K&N air filter on the truck and at some point had it repossessed. Everywhere I read it seems the transmission failing is very unlikely, even at my 197,000 miles. Nevertheless, I've read a bunch of threads on this code but don't think I've seen one person specifically say X worked for them.
I would very highly recommend doing four drains and fills of the transmission fluid with driving at least 10 miles or so in between each change. If you have no idea about the fluid maintenance, especially with the questionable history of the truck, it's a really go idea to set a maintenance baseline. The fluid could be very old and possibly even original Z-1 fluid. There is likely quite a bit of clutch material swirling around in the system that needs to be removed. You will probably have a very "full" magnetic drain plug on your first drain and fill. It should lessen dramatically after your 2nd change and nearly disappear after your 3rd. The 4th and final change is simply for good measure to ensure you have a heavy majority of new fluid in the system. New fluid will also push out any deposits of sludge or debris that have formed in certain areas of the transmission over time.

Reactions: GoGators15

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree with Ianrtl -change fluid again (yourself or at least you watching) and see how much if any metal is on drain plug -also did you actually do the drain&fills before or was that someone else -ie. someone who stands to gain from at transmission replacement

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
Personally, Depending on the look of the ATF and so on it might even be worth while to go to 5, but I agree with Ian, by the 3rd you should see dramatic improvements. DNF chart.JPG

I'll leave these as they will be helpful for your endeavor. ATF_Check.jpg ATF Replacement.JPG

This isn't a recent pricing but is a good reference and a reminder at 3.5qts per change, you'll need 14 bottles. dw1.JPG

Good Luck and keep us informed

Reactions: GoGators15

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
^^ Great info as usual, Carsmak. I only do a tranny fluid drain and fill every other oil change now which is usually every 20-24 months or so. I usually just run down to my local Honda dealer and buy 4qts. However, when I was driving a lot more and did more frequent changes (as well as when I did the initial changeover to DW-1), I could buy a case of 12 quarts for about $90. I asked for a 10% discount for buying in bulk and the parts guy would agree. The list for a quart of DW-1, unless it's gone up since the last time I looked, is $7.77 per quart. So, retail for 12 quarts is $93.24 plus tax. You can certainly find it for less online as Carsmak showed above but the shipping costs usually offset or exceed any discounts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looking in FSM for 2009-11 ridgeline and it says that shift solenoid D and also shift solenoid C could cause this P0740 or 741 error. These solenoids are accessible from outside of transmission and could be replaced -either one could be sticking.This troubleshooting info is on page 14-106 volume 1

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would very highly recommend doing four drains and fills of the transmission fluid with driving at least 10 miles or so in between each change. If you have no idea about the fluid maintenance, especially with the questionable history of the truck, it's a really go idea to set a maintenance baseline. The fluid could be very old and possibly even original Z-1 fluid. There is likely quite a bit of clutch material swirling around in the system that needs to be removed. You will probably have a very "full" magnetic drain plug on your first drain and fill. It should lessen dramatically after your 2nd change and nearly disappear after your 3rd. The 4th and final change is simply for good measure to ensure you have a heavy majority of new fluid in the system. New fluid will also push out any deposits of sludge or debris that have formed in certain areas of the transmission over time.
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to do the 4 changes and like you explained, set a baseline for my ownership of the truck. I'm guessing it's the miles that will matter vs time between changes? I.e. if I really felt like it I could change the fluid, drive around for 10, 20, 30 miles, and do another change the same day? Or should I put some days in between each change?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking in FSM for 2009-11 ridgeline and it says that shift solenoid D and also shift solenoid C could cause this P0740 or 741 error. These solenoids are accessible from outside of transmission and could be replaced -either one could be sticking.This troubleshooting info is on page 14-106 volume 1
The solenoid is what I was initially focusing all my attention on until I read someone just did a trans fluid change and it worked for them. Considering I have no clue how well this truck was maintained as far as the transmission fluid goes, I decided to give that a go first.

That brings up another question, I've seen one group of people describe one solenoid with two wire connectors on the same piece... And then a other group describe it as two separate individual solenoids labeled A & B. I checked on realhondaparts.com but am not clearly able to tell what's what and which solenoid I will be. I've put my vehicle in various auto parts websites and have found both for my truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Ianrtl -change fluid again (yourself or at least you watching) and see how much if any metal is on drain plug -also did you actually do the drain&fills before or was that someone else -ie. someone who stands to gain from at transmission replacement
I bought it a couple weeks ago and haven't changed the fluid yet but I will be doing all the replacements to make sure I'm the one seeing everything and the [hopefully] gradual improvement. I haven't taken it to anyone for anything yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts