Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys new to the forum. I'm in Northeast CT. Bought a 2006 for cheap. Promlem according to the PO is it needs a new transmission.
The issue being that it will go into drive, but it will not always shift to the next gear. It will go into neutral instead. Now maybe the trans doesn't need to be changed, and perhaps it's electronic related. (Just looked at it last night so haven't been able to really look at it.)
But if the transmission does have to be changed are they compatible between all years? Or are there changes that would not make one year work in another?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Pull the pan off. Inspect for chunks of metal. Visual check of the fluid with a flashlight into it. (fine shiny particles indicate torque converter shot) If fluid is black and smells like burnt resistors then your clutch packs are toast and it's been overheated badly. Rebuild time if so. Otherwise someone else will come along and let you know what others fit it. At the very least you can get one from 06 - 09 I'm sure those are right.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Are there any drive line related warnings on the dash? Did you check to see if the vehicle is emissions ready and have no 'recently' cleared fault codes?
If it is anything like the shift solonoids, they can be fixed at home, by you, in your driveway, for a couple of hundred bucks.

Also, since you bought a 2006, make sure that your radiator is changed immediately (if not already) and the engine coolant, radiator hoses and the thermostat are changed, while you are at it.
There is a list of maintenance items you need to address for the truck to be road worthy. CT is not easy on the vehicles due to snow, so make sure it has no bad rusts anywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I haven't picked it up. But there wasn't any dash lights on at the time I drove it.
He said the radiator was replaced.
There is some rust, but not substantial. It does have higher miles, but is meant to be used as second vehicle for me.
When I get it all start were you guys suggested. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was able to get the truck towed to my house tonight.
After getting it back went for a short drive to see if I could get any symptoms. I didn't, then again it was only about a 15 minute loop. So most likely not up to full temp.
I have a basic obd2 scanner, no codes were detected. But being a basic one can't see if things are stored or recently cleared.
I'll have to wait to the weekend, to get a look at the fluid. On the dip stick it looked normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a drain and fill of the fluid today.
The fluid was a little dark, but didn't look overly dark. Seem to be a fair amount of the fine metal particles on the magnetic plug.
But drove it for about a half hour today, didn't seem to experience issues. I don't want to get to far away in case there was an issue.
So at this point no actual symptoms I can report. Only what the previous owner originally said.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I didn't. I was planning to, but completely forgot.
I would say the fluid was a dark deep Marron. The drain plug I would say had about maybe a 1/16" of film on it.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
No I didn't. I was planning to, but completely forgot.
I would say the fluid was a dark deep Marron. The drain plug I would say had about maybe a 1/16" of film on it.
For safe measure, do two more drain and fill on the ATF.

Change out the rear differential fluid and center transfer unit as well. Single DNF would be fine for these two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to do more drain and fills on the trans. But was second guessing it cause if there was something wrong with the trans I just wasted $100+ on fluids. But maybe I'll drive it a little, wait like a week. Do another change and so on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts