Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always struggled to get a consistent reading when checking the transmission fluid level.

Using the manual's 60-90 second procedure yesterday (after a fluid drain/fill) the level was low.

How much fluid would it take to raise the level to the full mark?

Here is where the level is registering:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
There’s not a full mark…..if there was, there would only be one mark. Consider the marks as MIN/MAX with in-between as perfect. If it’s low (below MIN mark) add maybe 4 ozs and re-check. Be careful of hot parts around the dipstick.

Who knows the TFT that gives the most accurate level check on the dipstick. Honda changed that on the 9 speed with a very narrow temp range…..but then they eliminated the dipstick.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I wouldn’t add more than 4 to 6 ounces without checking again. I can’t recall offhand how much fluid mine takes to get from there to the high line.

**EDIT: I can tell you that, from the factory, my pickup’s level was not between the holes when hot and checked according to the manual procedure. It was at least similar to where yours is now.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I’ve also found the “cold”, sitting overnight, level check yields a level about 1/4” above the MAX mark. Easier to check when cold. Again, just a suggestion, add a few ozs at a time and creep your way up to in-between the MAX/MIN marks (hot, whatever that is).👌

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least it showed-up on the stick!

I can't convince myself to crack the fill bolt just for a few ounce fix. This amount could be better served through the dipstick port. I could not find locally any funnel with a small enough spout and I don't trust just any plastic adapter to handle auto fluids.

So luckily I stumbled across this interesting idea - 6 ounce metal oiler with a small, tapered tip:

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,798 Posts
You can pretty easily find some fuel hose that will just fit inside the dipstick hole and will stretch over the end of the funnel. Funnel can then be held up where it is easy to pour into. Simple and effective.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can pretty easily find some fuel hose that will just fit inside the dipstick hole and will stretch over the end of the funnel. Funnel can then be held up where it is easy to pour into. Simple and effective.
What size of fuel hose fits over the diptick tube's mouth? I spoke with my local parts store and they claimed that fuel hose will degrade due to the ATF additives. They do carry ATF hose however the smallest size is 5/16". Considering the strong odor of ATF, it looks like I would need to discard it after each use. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
5/8" O.D. clear vinyl hose from ACE Hardware, Walmart funnel and a hose clamp. Fits perfect inside the dipstick tube. Make the hose 12" long......I just used a piece I already had.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts