Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very skeptical of needing a tranny fluid change at 30,000 miles as the honda dealer suggested. We love our Honda Ridgeline, but it was lunging and slipping for a few weeks at 45,000 miles before the (partial) fluid change . I think the solution was a computer reset, not the fluid change. I've never heard of a misbehaving transmission being fixed by changing fluid. In fact I've experienced and heard the opposite: Fluid change resulting is a quick tranny demise. Transmissions, especially Honda transmissions should not be in failure after 45,000 miles of mild driving by my very conservative driving wife. Having owned dozens of cars and working on hundreds more through the years, I smell something fishy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think from what I've read on these forums it has to do with the software making less than stellar choices with the torque converter lockup which would overheat the transmission fluid which would break it down prematurely. There could be other issues as well, but I think that is the main one I've seen which would cause fluid issues.

At this point I think the recommendation on drain and fill of fluid at 30k miles is probably a precaution based on the earlier model years and the various issues that have been seen. It's a cheap way to help fend off any potential issues if they exist.

I will probably do a least one drain and fill at 30k on my 2019 just as a precaution. I mostly expect it to be unnecessary, but I'd rather be safe than sorry given how cheap it is to do. That's one plus for the pre-2020 models.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
There have been a few reports of failed transmissions on the G2 Ridgeline, and yes, Honda transmissions are finicky when it comes to fluid changes. I first became aware of this when we owned a 2002 Honda Accord V6. That thing was a rocket, once the transmission engaged.

·
Registered
172 Posts
One of the things I like about the Ridgeline is how easy it is to self maintain. A fluid change (on the 6 speed auto anyway) is very cheap and easy. You can do it in a matter of minutes.

I'm obsessive about doing fluid changes. I tend to do them unnecessarily early. Better too soon than too late.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Now that Honda no longer uses a Honda tranny, it may help to look to other males to see how the tranny behaves over time.

All gearboxes benefit, in terms of maximizing durability, from a fairly early fluid change. After that they can go much further between changes. An A/T adds complexity from the clutch wear debris and the significant heat put into the fluid during gear changes.

Personally, I do early fluid changes on all gearboxes (which am A/T is, although it is also more than that). I changed the ATF on my Ridgeline at half or less of the miles called out for the first change. Other people don’t. Most(?) people will sell or crash their vehicle before the early changes become a benefit.

Choose accordingly.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
I am very skeptical of needing a tranny fluid change at 30,000 miles as the honda dealer suggested. We love our Honda Ridgeline, but it was lunging and slipping for a few weeks at 45,000 miles before the (partial) fluid change . I think the solution was a computer reset, not the fluid change. I've never heard of a misbehaving transmission being fixed by changing fluid. In fact I've experienced and heard the opposite: Fluid change resulting is a quick tranny demise. Transmissions, especially Honda transmissions should not be in failure after 45,000 miles of mild driving by my very conservative driving wife. Having owned dozens of cars and working on hundreds more through the years, I smell something fishy.
The first transmission fluid change is prompted around 45,000 miles then every 30,000 miles for the average driver. The Maintenance Minder calculates the remaining transmission fluid life along with the engine oil life. If the vehicle was operating as designed and was not faulty, this calculated interval is appropriate.

Transmission fluid changes using a drain and refill are fine - it's power flushes that can be dangerous.

Now that Honda no longer uses a Honda tranny...
Honda makes several transmissions.

CVT (multiple versions)
6-speed manual (multiple versions)
6-speed automatic
10-speed automatic
7-speed DCT (RLX/MDX Sport Hybrid)
8-speed DCT (ILX/TLX)
9-speed DCT (NSX)

The ZF 9HP is the only transmission Honda uses that is outsourced.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-T Forest Mist Metallic
445 Posts
Not for the Ridgeline they don’t, and this is after all the Ridgeline Owners Club, and we are talking about a Ridgeline in this thread.
But your post Could be taken in general, and didn't specify Ridgeline, and zroger73 had a very helpful clarification for those of us not following every minute detail of car manufacturing. So thank you zroger73👍

·
Registered
968 Posts
You have to be fairly imaginative to not recognize the implied “in the Ridgeline” in my opening sentence.

·
Administrator
14,980 Posts
Not for the Ridgeline they don’t, and this is after all the Ridgeline Owners Club, and we are talking about a Ridgeline in this thread.
You have to be fairly imaginative to not recognize the implied “in the Ridgeline” in my opening sentence.
This thread is in the second generation Ridgeline forum which covers model years 2017-2020. The thread title references the 2018 year model. All 2017-2019 Ridgelines (as did the 2006-2014 Ridgelines) use a Honda transmission. The only Ridgeline to use a non-Honda transmission is the 2020 so far. Although speculative at this point, I'd guess that Honda may revert to a Honda transmission (the 10-speed) in the 3G Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
476 Posts
I'll just leave this Blackstone DW-1 oil report here from my change on the 17' RTL at 31k miles. Take it for what it's worth to you. To me I'm changing it more often.

Steve View attachment 403126 View attachment 403127
I have changed the transmission fluid in all my Honda’s at 30k. I know color is not the best indicator, but when you change transmission fluid and it looks like motor oil it’s done. And the by then the magnet on the drain plug has a nice coating of very fine material...not shavings, very fine black material. I figured once the magnet has a good coating and the fluid is darkening, it cant hurt to refresh fluid and clean magnet

Years ago a tech at my local Honda dealer suggested 30k mile internals, and I service myself so he wasn’t trying to sell me anything.
Nothing I’ve seen to date would make me go beyond 30k miles on my RL.
My current 06 crv has 121k trouble free miles w 30k mile services.
Our 01 odyssey was 10 years old, 150k miles. Never a problem w 30k mike services.
1990 civic was the same....

when looking at RL’s I talked to a few dealers and multiple flushes to fix shifting issues was the only issue they commented on when asked about transmissions.
So I’m sticking w the more frequent servicing to keep the fluid in good shape. Just my 2cents.
Cheap insurance.

*clearly I don’t agree with the schedules these manufacturers are putting out....and I don’t understand their reasoning. Cost, waste, Ive heard it all. For example my wife’s cx9 has no service interval for her 6sp tranny. None. Nothing in the manual. When I called the dealer I bought from which has since closed. They agreed. Don’t service.
I was lucky to get in touch w a very large Mazda dealership years later, and in there experience, it needed service at 60k miles. Otherwise they see issues. The owner and two shop managers all owned the same car.
while I was there having a half-dozen other safety recalls fixed. They performed the service for the fluid cost only. Car is 10 years old. Still going strong. I doubt it would be if on the original fluid as suggested.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Transmissions operate on oil either stick shift or automatic. New oil is life of trans. My older friends never changed unless they had problems, at 89,000 mikes flush and drain stirs up 80,000 miles of accumulated dirt. Too late.
I change mine at 30,000 cheap insurance. Like Dad always said Oil cheaper than Engines.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'll just leave this Blackstone DW-1 oil report here from my change on the 17' RTL at 31k miles. Take it for what it's worth to you. To me I'm changing it more often.

Steve View attachment 403126 View attachment 403127
Another reason why I think the MM is [profanity removed by moderator]. I much prefer getting reports stating "optimum". There are just too many different use case scenarios for blanket MM rules. Do you accelerate quickly? Drive in dusty environments? Are your summers extremely hot and humid? Do you drive at elevation? Are you towing regularly? Just too many factors and transmission fluid isn't expensive nor is it that difficult to swap out. Cheap insurance.

There are too many factors at play here to trust it. For me 30k miles, could come in 5-6 years as the RL is not my DD. It's almost in pure PWC towing mode now due to the ongoing pandemic (and spikes we are seeing now) so it's only getting used when it's time to ride the pwc at the lake. Occasionally I will just drive it to drive it, enjoyment, but that's hard for me to do when my DD is an EV and costs $0 to fuel.

I'll probably get the DW-1 out of there at my next oil change. Amsoil makes a DW-1 replacement and it isn't expensive. How many quarts did you need for your replacement?

And I think something needs 75w90, transfer case?

I also do Blackstone lab reports on all fluids so I'll be sending my samples off as well.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Another reason why I think the MM is [profanity removed by moderator]. I much prefer getting reports stating "optimum". There are just too many different use case scenarios for blanket MM rules. Do you accelerate quickly? Drive in dusty environments? Are your summers extremely hot and humid? Do you drive at elevation? Are you towing regularly? Just too many factors and transmission fluid isn't expensive nor is it that difficult to swap out. Cheap insurance.

There are too many factors at play here to trust it. For me 30k miles, could come in 5-6 years as the RL is not my DD. It's almost in pure PWC towing mode now due to the ongoing pandemic (and spikes we are seeing now) so it's only getting used when it's time to ride the pwc at the lake. Occasionally I will just drive it to drive it, enjoyment, but that's hard for me to do when my DD is an EV and costs $0 to fuel.

I'll probably get the DW-1 out of there at my next oil change. Amsoil makes a DW-1 replacement and it isn't expensive. How many quarts did you need for your replacement?

And I think something needs 75w90, transfer case?

I also do Blackstone lab reports on all fluids so I'll be sending my samples off as well.
I just did mine, about 3.6 quarts, not to difficult to do, and I’ll be doing it more often. The color at 39k is a little to dark for my taste.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the things I like about the Ridgeline is how easy it is to self maintain. A fluid change (on the 6 speed auto anyway) is very cheap and easy. You can do it in a matter of minutes.

I'm obsessive about doing fluid changes. I tend to do them unnecessarily early. Better too soon than too late.
It may be overkill, but I plan on changing my ATF every time I change the engine oil. It's easy and cheap "insurance".

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I’m a G1 owner (2011), so I obviously have a different transmission. But the significant point I want to make is that a “drain & fill” on my trans does not change all the fluid - it’s actually less than half that comes out. This means that there is lots of dirty/compromised fluid left in the trans after a fluid change. There is no practical way to change all the fluid without a power flush. Therefore, I am a proponent of doing a trans “drain & fill” at each oil change, or at least every other oil change. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
I’m a G1 owner (2011), so I obviously have a different transmission. But the significant point I want to make is that a “drain & fill” on my trans does not change all the fluid - it’s actually less than half that comes out. This means that there is lots of dirty/compromised fluid left in the trans after a fluid change. There is no practical way to change all the fluid without a power flush. Therefore, I am a proponent of doing a trans “drain & fill” at each oil change, or at least every other oil change. My 2 cents.
G2 6AT is essentially same as G1 5AT with regard to fluid changes. One could make the argument that changing fluid every 30k is somewhat like doing four fluid changes within 120k miles. As you likely know, four changes is equivalent to a flush for the Honda AT. At one time (and still may be) many mfrs of other brands recommended a full trans flush at around 100-120k miles, so this could be considered equivalent.

Of course, in severe duty conditions (including heavy towing), you would want to halve these intervals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its really an inexpensive fluid change if you just drain and fill .The fluid will deteriorate and mostly cause a torque converter shutter ..I am changing mine every other oil change ..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts